Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Victim vs. Survivor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Victim vs. Survivor
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to read a lot (sometimes too much, i think) into the words people choose to use, what they really meant, and if they could've used a different/better word. I've noticed that sometimes the words 'victim' and 'survivor' and used interchangably when discussing rape/abuse.

Is there a difference between a rape/abuse victim and a rape/abuse survivor? If yes, what? If no, why not?

If you've experienced rape/abuse, did you feel like a victim or a survivor? Did you identify as a victim or survivor? Did how you feel/identify change at various times in your recovery?

Discuss!

[ 10-29-2006, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: LilBlueSmurf ]

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think, in general, people who have not been abused will refer to those who have as 'victims'. It's just the term you hear most often on news reports, in articles, in conversation, etc.

For people who have abuse experiences of their own, I guess it's a matter of mindset. Do you see yourself as a victim or as a survivor? I considered myself a victim for a while, but have lately started refering to myself as a survivor instead. The big difference, to me, is that 'victim' is a very passive word, and 'survivor' a very strong, active one. And also, because these words seem to be used to define people, not just in that one area but as a whole person - I'd rather be thought of as a survivor.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll admit that sometimes I struggle with wording. Not so much in sexual assault and abuse cases, since I feel squicky using victim for anyone who is alived and survived what happened to them but there are there other issues where I don't know what to use, like talking about people with AIDS. They're not survivors, in the sense I understand, because AIDS is fatal. But again, I don't want to call them victims, either. Sufferers works, but I mean... you call people with hemrrhoids sufferers too.

The good thing of all this is that it makes me very conscious of how I use my words, and I like that I challenge myself and the world challenges me to be open and thoughtful, and use empowering words and speech wherever I can.

Great topic, by the way!

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Context has a lot to do with it for me.

For instance, in having a discussion about this case, I'll use the word victim when discussing the girl who was assaulted, because I want to do my level best to be sure to help people recognize that what was done to her was criminal. If I say survivor in this context, I feel like it usurps/obfuscates that.

For myself, it feels like I am both victim and survivor. I am the victim of crimes, and I was victimized, but I am also a survivor. But generally, since for me, none of my stuff is current, or in an immediate legal process, and because I worked hard for my survival, I always ID as a survivor. But I think, like September brought up, some of it is a difference in where a given person is in their process, like being a student and being a graduate is, if you can make sense of that.

[ 10-30-2006, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stacey
Neophyte
Member # 30608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stacey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey

i think people who havent been through rape/ abuse will call those who have victims, after i was raped i felt at first like a victim beacuse i was suicidal etc but once i started to come to terms with what happened and deal with it myself and then became a 'surviver' because i had survived being raped plus also the trauma first

does that make sence?

love stace xxx

Posts: 38 | From: south shields | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
October_Baby
Neophyte
Member # 31177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for October_Baby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a way, I would say both. Thoes who got raped and got away are survivors of the horrible action just done onto them. But then thoes who get raped and killed, are what I would call Victims. People who get raped are lucky to get out alive (I don't want it to sound like you didn't survive thet emotional trauma)

--------------------
Live life the way you want to. Dance the way you want to.
Eat the way you want to.
Love the way you want to.
Live the way you want to

Posts: 17 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil red
Neophyte
Member # 31487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil red     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i went through and feel the same as 'stacy'. but i agree with 'october_baby' in the whole
Posts: 8 | From: montana | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.