Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » herpes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: herpes
epsweetie106
Neophyte
Member # 34345

Icon 11 posted      Profile for epsweetie106     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I am new here, but I have looked at the site before and it seems awesome!

My doctor just called me this morning to inform me that a test I had a few weeks ago came back positive for herpes. I had been having these 'breakout' things for the past four or five years, about once a year. I had been tested for herpes before and it was negative, but this time it was positive. The whole thing is a long story, but that is the basics.

I dont understand, because this all started before I had boyfriends and stuff like that (so I couldn't have gotten it from sexual contact or anything). Also, I dont understand how one test could be negative (it was tested in the genital area) and one test could be positive (tested in my mouth).

I guess I just need advice on how people are dealing with this, and what I can do to cope with it. I know it is not life-threatening, but it really is seeming to put a damper on the rest of my life.

Thanks!

Posts: 1 | From: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mickeh
Neophyte
Member # 33268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, from what I understand, genital herpes (HSV-2) is different from oral herpes (HSV-1). You can get oral herpes from sharing glasses or kissing people on the cheek. So, that would explain why one test came out positive while one came out negative and how you could have contracted it without sexual contact.
Posts: 34 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done, Mickeh.

Just to make sure it's clear, oral herpes is MOST commonly NOT sexually transmitted, but transmitted by more casual contact, and most people pick it up inter-familially in childhood. And it is, as Mickeh explained, a different herpes virus than genital herpes, though both types CAN be transmitted orally or genitally. But most of the time, they stay where they originate, if you follow.

So, as to how to cope? For starters, you can talk to your doc about medications like Valtrex, which reduce outbreaks. You can also reduce outbreaks just by staying healthy via taking good care of yourself: herpes outbreaks tend to happen when people are stressed out or their immune systems are working overtime.

In terms of transmission concerns, the biggie is just that if you do have an outbreak, or feel one coming on, you'll want to avoid oral/sexual contact: namely, kissing and oral sex (and any hand-to-mouth stuff), and you'll also want to be sure, for partners protection, to be using latex barriers during oral sex, full-time. All manageable stuff. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67955 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.