Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Depression - of one type or another

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Depression - of one type or another
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 4 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose this is more of a rant than anything, but I need to vent a little.

I've had a lot of trouble with mood swings. I've had them for years. Admittedly, they got worse after being raped and being with a mentally abusive partner (who thankfully is not only not my partner any more, but actually moved out of the area, making my life far easier!), but recently they've hit an all-time low.

I go from being hyperactive, bouncing about full of energy and talking almost constantly, being totally unable to concentrate on anything, to completely lethargic, tired, miserable and snappy. It can take hours, it can take days. Currently, I'm on a "downswing", where I'm irritable and tired all the time. I feel ill constantly, and I've just gone off on one at my dad for a joke I didn't find funny.

NOT good.

I've had this kind of thing for a while, but now I'm changing mood almost daily, going from one extreme to the other. There's a lot of friction in the family over my mother being supposedly mentally ill (it's up for debate) and not getting help for it, which makes life difficult for both me and my dad.

My doctor offered my antidepressants before Christmas, which I refused. I wasn't so bad then. If I come off the pill, I'm worse, so it's balancing me out a little. I'm going back to the doctor a week today to get some sort of conclusive diagnosis and hopefully treatment before I end up strangling someone. I've just reached the point now where I can't cope with it any longer.

Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi ladydexter,

Just wanted to see how you were doing today and that I was thinking of you. I wasn't quite sure from your post: Are you going to the doctor a week from the day you posted or that day?

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 10 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A week from the day - this Wednesday coming.

I'm feeling pretty good today. It's the first time in a month where I've been "level", rather than hyper or depressed. I'm not sure if or how long it'll last. Thursday saw me pretty hyperactive.

I'm going to see what the doctor thinks, really. Like I say, I've had antidepressants suggested to me before, so he obviously has an idea of what might be the problem. I'll let you know how it goes.

Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you had a better day today, and I hope your doctor's appointment goes well next week. I've been dealing with depression for a good chunk of my life (chemical, not situational) and I actually found that a lot of the time, instead of being sad 24/7, I was really up and down (literally minute to minute sometimes). I found that instead of just making me happier, antidepressants helped smooth out those drastic mood swings, so that may be what your doctor has in mind. Hope it goes well!
Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 10 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the appointment was put backa couple of days, but I've just seen the doctor, and he thinks I may have bipolar disorder.

So I have to wait for the pretty envelope from the Community Mental Health Service telling me to go to the hospital and see a psychiatrist. Dunno how long that will take, though.

oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 10 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have bipolar disorder, and I know it can be a struggle. I have struggled with bipolar all of my life basically, but several incidents in my life have made my depression much more of a burden. I know a bit of what you are going through and would like to wish you the best!

Also, Seeing a psychiatrist isn't always a bad thing. Many therapy sessions have helped me come more to terms with my disorder and now, even though I still struggle with bipolar, I can try to control it and live a somewhat normal life.

Good luck!!

[This message has been edited by oOo Lea oOo (edited 01-30-2006).]

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.