Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » I don't know if this is the right place to put this..

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I don't know if this is the right place to put this..
Kisses Me Pink
Member # 24198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kisses Me Pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So feel free to move it if it's not in the right place.

Mmk. My boyfriend really hates living at home. Right now he's 16, but this upcoming summer (almost a year from now), he'll be 17. He has a steady part time job and believe he'd be able to make it living on his own, financially. This is sortof a new idea, but we just have some thoughts on how it would work.

We really have no idea what the laws in NY are concerning parental rights I guess you would say. If he's 17, and wants to move out for his senior year of high school, can his mom stop him? Or does he legally have no rights concerning the situation until he's 18? We're pretty sure it'd be the case that she would try to stop him, we're not sure what limits she'd take, but it'd be my assumption that she would go as far as getting the police involved. She doesn't like the feeling of losing control over her son. Which is pretty much the reason he's not happy there - she doesn't want to let him grow up.

Either way, I tried to look this up online somewhere and came up with nothing, as I'm not really sure how to go about finding out laws and things like that. So. Any help is appreciated

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He'd need to petition the state court to become an emancipated minor. Otherwise, no, he cannot legally move out until he's 18.

Sounds like he may have at least some of the criteria to do that -- a job, savings, an acrimonious home situation -- but what he'll need to do is consult a lawyer or legal aid to find out the rest of what NY state requires and if that's something he'd want to do.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

  New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3