Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Accutane and Pregnancy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Accutane and Pregnancy
SimplicityMadeEasy
Neophyte
Member # 24589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SimplicityMadeEasy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, so I'm on Accutane, a very strong medicine that practically eliminates acne, and there are extreme warnings and ailments that happen to a baby if a girl is to become pregnant while on the medicine. I'm almost sure that I'm pregnant. I just started some minor bleeding today, but that might be spotting and I've noticed a trend that a lot of girls are freaking out because they and their boyfriends have used the pull-out method or didn't ejaculate in them but on their hands. No my boyfriend ejaculated in me. We've talked about what to do if I am pregnant, but it's still really hard.

I'm completely against abortion. I really dislike the thought of killing my own child , but with affects such as severe internal defects like heart problems and nervous system problems, and severe external defects such as a cone-headed baby and utter disfigurement, I feel I have no other choice than trying to miscarry or abort this baby.

I just don't know a lot and I was wondering if there just might be someone who is on Accutane as well and might be able to help me.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed you made a post asking if birth control pills affected the accuracy of a pregnancy test (they don't, by the way, the pregnancy hormone the test looks for is not affected in any way by birth control- sorry to steal the topic and give you an answer but I thought I'd throw it in as well)

Why are you so certain you're pregnant?

Have you been taking your birth control pills as directed? Have you recently been more than 2-3 hours late on a pill or missed a pill, or had you been near when you had intercourse?

If so, then you should take a pregnancy test 10-14 days from when your pregnancy risk was; if the test comes up negative you can test again a week later as a double check for the first test.

Actually, considering your situation, if you are as worried as it seems you are about this, skip the urine tests and go to the doctor to get a blood test; they are (slightly) more accurate than urine tests and if it happens that you are pregnant, thewn you can talk to a medical professional about your options and risks with the medication you're on right then and there.

If you haven't missed pills, though, your risk is almost none and you're over-worrying.

Still, take thest test when you're able to (again, 10-14 days after the risk will yield an accurate result), or better yet, go into the doctor's like I suggested, if you're able to.

I don't know about Accutane or its risks, personally; will these risks during your pregnancy still be present if you discontinue the use of the medicine while you are pregnant? Are you able to discontinue the medication if you are pregnant?

I highly recomend if you are pregnant, either when you get a pregnancy test there or after you have confirmed your pregnancy with a urine test at home, to speak to a gynecologist, if not your other physician as well. If you do not wish to terminate a pregnancy you may have, if you are able to stop taking the Accutane and continue with the pregnancy, find out and be okayed by your doctor. You need to talk to a doctor about all these risks to find out how real most of them are, if they can be prevented, and what your best option is for the pregnancy if the child were at as high of a risk as it sounds to be born with some serious defects; defects which sound like in all honesty, the baby could die either in womb or after birth.

I'm assuming here, please correct me if I'm wrong, that neither you nor your boyfriend are in a position to be able to support this child medically if it lives and has the sort of defects or conditions you've described. Children are expensive as is, but those requiring much more extensive care will be a much, much larger finacial responsibility that often times married couples working two steady jobs cannot front on their own.

I'm not trying to persuade you one way or another, except in the direction os speaking to a doctor about the risks and about your options.

You are not even sure if you are pregnant yet, but if a test does come back positive, please take into consideration what I've said here. Because you are against an abortion for yourself, there could be other options you'll need to discuss with a doctor; but if it comes to it and you need to decide, it also worries me that you've mentioned "I have no other choice than trying to miscarry" - while miscarriages do happen in a number of pregnancies, there is no healthy way to induce a miscarriage in yourself and you could be doing yourself much greater harm by trying for one; so please, find out where you stand now FOR CERTAIN, by a test, and then speak to a doctor about the options you have.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Contact your dermatologist, immediately. First thing tomorrow morning, call and alert your doctor to the possibility that you may be pregnant. I work for a dermatologist and am also on accutane currently. Accutane is very serious stuff, that is why you received counseling about contraception before beginning the medication and why they insist that you use two reliable forms of birth control for all sexual contact. In addition to the severe physical birth defects, the drug can also cause mental retardation, miscarriage, premature birth, and even death. This is serious stuff. And the effects occur very soon after contraception, so at this point the damage is most likely done.

So call your doctor immediately. If you are not pregnant at this point, then I strongly suggest that you and your partner both sit down with your doctor and go over the risks of Accutane and your contraceptive options. You must use two forms of reliable birth control while you are on this medication, and if that is not something that you and your partner are committed to doing for every sex act until you have been off the medication for an appropriate length of time, then you need to discontinue treatment immediately and permanently. Your doctor cannot allow you to continue to take the medication if you cannot comply with the contraceptive requirements.

I'm not trying to lecture here, as someone who works in health care, I am incredibly distrubed that you are on this medication and you don't know alot about it. If you just didn't pay attention when your doctor was discussing the risks and you didn't read the information they gave you, then you need to wake up and pay attention. If your doctor did not provide you with the appropriate information and counseling, then you need to report the physician (or you can email me with the name and location of your doctor and I will report him/her). If you are going to continue this medication, then you need to be backing up your hormonal birth control with correctly used condoms.

But for the moment, call your doctor, now.

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.