Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » *It needs to stop*

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: *It needs to stop*
sweetness09
Neophyte
Member # 23251

Icon 4 posted      Profile for sweetness09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This IS a serious problem that I have. About a week before my period I get extremely depressed and emotional. Last month I even cut my wrists badly. It is so bad sometimes I cry all day and think about terrible thoughts about life. It is very terrible for me to feel this way EVERY SINGLE MONTH! I want it to stop! Is there anything that can help me with this problem?
Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, talk to your gynecologist or family doctor.

Some women have serious PMS symptoms, and they can almost always be managed -- often easily -- with simple things like dietary and/or exercise changes, stress reduction techniques, or safe medications like oral contraceptives or antidepressants.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor & Founder
ST homepage • ST blog • about Heather & Scarleteen

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need to see your doctor (if you really think it's period-related, you should see your gynecologist) about this. Seriously. Make the appointment now.

In the meantime, if you feel like you're going to harm yourself (cutting and such), you need to find help right away. Tell your parents, teacher, a friend, ... Have someone sit with you. If you can't shake the bad thoughts, you need to get yourself professional help ... As in, get yourself to your nearest ER.

(Whoops ... mindmeld )

[This message has been edited by LilBlueSmurf (edited 05-07-2005).]

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gabby451
Neophyte
Member # 23768

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gabby451     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow, I really know how that feels. I went through massive mood swings before my period for a long time. I would just feel out of control, crying, suicidal just like being in a black hole for appearantly no reason. I ended up going on Birth Control wich lessened the symptoms but didn't get rid of them completely. I finally went to see a therapist who put me on a new low-dose anti-depressant and it really changed my life. I'm not saying medication is for everyone but it made a big difference for me. You should really think about seeing your GY about this and also a woman councilor. Also, don't let people dismiss your feelings b/c you are PMSing it is a real issue. Good luck.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.