Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Depression, what should I do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Depression, what should I do?
ashley1096
Neophyte
Member # 22122

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ashley1096     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I am positive I am depressed, I have felt this way for awhile, I am 14 years old, and yeah I have problems, but who doesn't.. Some days I make excuses to stay home from school because I don't want to get up, other days I do absolutely nothing.. Just lay in bed when I get home from school and cry.. I have no idea what to do, I am to afraid to tell my mother, although I did get in a fight with her and tell her that she made me depressed *It's not just her that makes me this way* I don't know, I am kinda naturally a downer.. Anyways, any suggestions on what I should do? I am not getting any better, just getting worse I find.
Posts: 6 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GreekSis
Neophyte
Member # 22196

Icon 2 posted      Profile for GreekSis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi ashley1096. I'm new to the board and it was, in fact, your post that inspired me to join. I too have suffered from severe depression for as long as I can remember. Reading your post was like a flashback to my life just a few years ago. I was really sad all the time and I couldn't figure out why and I always dreaded going to school. My dad realized that something was wrong but I was always denying it. He kept trying to get me to go see a doctor but I always refused. I would just keep stuffing all of my feelings inside of me. Then when I was at my freshman year of college all the years of stuffing my emotions caught up to me and I had a nervous breakdown. I had to take a medical leave from school the rest of the year. It was awful, but at the same time it completely opened my eyes. I realized that I couldn't go through this by myself and that I needed serious help.
I understand the feelings you have right now and the best advice I have for you is truly to find someone to talk to. I would reccomend a psychologist. It seemed really wierd for me at first. But then I realized that this person had no judgements of me or my situation and that he was there because he really wanted to help me. He became the one person that I trusted more than anyone. As difficult as it is, talking is really the best thing you can do. It's really hard at first. But in the long run you'll be able to look at yourself from the outside and see different sides of yourself that you never knew existed. There really is a light at the end of the tunnel. And once you find it, you'll come out of this a stronger person, I promise.
I'm sorry this is so long. And I wish you the best of luck!

Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GreekSis
Neophyte
Member # 22196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GreekSis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to add this to my mini novel that I wrote as a replay, but another thing that was one of the biggest helps to me was journalizing. You can let out all your emotions into that notebook and afterwords it feels, for me at least, like a giant weight has been lifted off my shoulders.
Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
playbunny
Neophyte
Member # 21781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for playbunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
go and see your doctor to refer you to a counsellor they dont judge you at all they listen and thats what you need to do
Posts: 30 | From: england | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
black_heart
Neophyte
Member # 22625

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black_heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I to am depressed.I currently am on 20 mg Lexapro.Sometimes meds dont help,in my case it sometimes works.Some days I want to scream so the whole world could hear me.I guess I'm a crybaby because I cry about the stupidest things. This summer I had a break down.My cousin from Poland was here,he and my sister were swimming and I was on the ground in the bathroom crying.I lock up all my emotions,i dont write about(but might start to),i'm trying to get into Minne(sp) institute. I dont know the name of it,but i've tried everything(maybe)to get over this BIG thing in my life.My friend has more problems, so we talk about it most of the time.It helps if you talk to someone you really trust,it seems hard,but it gets easier.Good luck!
Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shiny
Neophyte
Member # 22595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shiny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be severely depressed, so here are a couple of suggestions that I have.

Do you like learning, but hate school? If so, you might be a candidate for an independent study program. However, it's very hard to find an administration that will let you do something like this, so it's an unlikely option.

Do you have something to do that you enjoy, that you can really immerse yourself in? Someone else suggested journaling, which is good, and some of my personal favorite ways of self-expression (releasing all those negative emotions!) include singing, playing an instrument, or reading. If you really love reading, like I do, you can become so involved in thinking about the characters ina book that it will help you to forget about it if you're feeling bad.

Therapy is also an option, but you will probably have to talk to your parents about that. I know you're scared to bring it up, but if you say that it's hard to deal with and that you really want help feeling better, then they'll understand.

However, if you're really worried about talking to your parents, you can try talking to an older friend or sibling first. It can be like a mini-therapy session, where you talk to someone you know and trust about how you feel, and it can really help. In fact, it's sometimes easier to talk to someone you already know than to talk to a therapist that you've never seen before.

I wish you the absolute best of luck in feeling better. :)

------------------
"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is in for a hell of a ride."

Posts: 4 | From: Kansas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meno
Neophyte
Member # 22694

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meno     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi! im meno (amanda) and i suffer from depression as well and have been for about two years now. u should definitely tell ur mom how u are feeling because she can help you. trust me on that. i dont mean to sound like an annoying parent (im only 15) but its true. im on an anti-deppressive and a mood stabilizer and tho im still depressed, im doing so much better now!!! there is probly a reason in ur sub-conscious to why ur feeling this way that u just dont know about. is your father living with you? how is ur past? it would really help to talk to a counselor-therapist. they help because u can tell them anything and they wont go telling ur parents unless its something dangerous. thats what i did and i feel so much more open and i have more goals now and the future does seem more bright. reply to me and maybe out stories are similar!!!
Posts: 8 | From: U.S. | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meno
Neophyte
Member # 22694

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meno     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi! im meno! (amanda) and I suffer from depression as well and have been for about two years now. u should definitely tell ur mom how u are feeling because he/she can help you. trust me on that. I dont mean to sound like an annoying parent (im only 15) but its true. im on an anti-deppressive and a mood stabilizer and though I'm still depressed, I'm doing so much better now!!! There is probly a reason in ur sub-conscious to why ur feeling this way that u just dont know about. is your father living with you? how is ur past? it would really help to talk to a counselor-therapist. they help because u can tell them anything and they wont go telling ur parents unless its something dangerous. thats what i did and i feel so much more open and i have more goals now and the future does seem more bright. reply to me and maybe our stories are similar!!!
Posts: 8 | From: U.S. | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wuffie
Neophyte
Member # 23064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wuffie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey,
I just thought I'd share a little bit of my story and some of my experiences. I'm 15 and I was diagnosed with Bipolar (it's still a running diagnosis) quite a few months ago. I'm currently on a mood stabalizer that's mostly for people who suffer more from depression than they do with states of mania. I used to cut alot, and I have these horrid scars on my legs. I've stopped cutting long ago, though I can't seem to stop overdosing, so I know where you're coming from with your depression. I've been to a doctor, though I can't seem to be honest with him. I suggest that you talk to your school councelor first, and then see if he can talk to your parents about taking you to a therapist. Try a few different ones until you can find one that you trust. I hope I've helped a bit.

Posts: 4 | From: Phoenix, Arizona, United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppybluefrogs
Activist
Member # 22137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppybluefrogs         Edit/Delete Post 
i myself suffer from mild depression and anxiety which is caused by the tiniest things, all of which feel really stupid but really get me down. mine has got to the point where i freak out alot and have panic attacks. i was referred to the local hospital by the doctor and they have put me on beta blockers for stress and they are waiting for the psychologists to get back to me. there is a lot of help out there for you.

recently a friend of mine was also diagnosed with bipolar and she is getting alot of help for it with meds and so on.

a councellor may be of great help to you. as may your doctor. they are understanding and try to help as best they can

Posts: 228 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyTragicTales
Neophyte
Member # 23248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MyTragicTales     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
someone mentioned a councellor...I personally have one though I refuse to talk to them. To me, I have to sit there and they take me from my classes and I dont want to have anything to do with them. I find more release when talking to someone I know or dont see. it could be totally opposite for you but sometimes talking it out with someone your own age or not an adult is better off for me at least. just writing to myself 'journalizing' doesnt seem to help me at all.
Mainly I think, which could be total opposite from you, is talk to a peer online.

Posts: 16 | From: Port St. Lucie, Florida | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MyTragicTales:
someone mentioned a councellor...I personally have one though I refuse to talk to them. To me, I have to sit there and they take me from my classes and I dont want to have anything to do with them. I find more release when talking to someone I know or dont see.

And this is why your therapy sessions aren't working. For counseling to be effective, you need to comply. that means you need to be open and talk to the counselor. But this requires trust. You obviously trust your friends enough to open up to them. And you only trust us because we have no ability to track you down. But this will NOT help you in the long run.

Therapists are trained to talk to people about their problems in ways that (unless you hang out with a lot of shrinks) the rest of us can't do. Therapists are trained to elicit your thoughts and feelings, coach you through self-destructive issues to help you make the changes that will make you feel better. Therapists have resources to offer and can help you work toward real solutions.

Can we at ST do that? not nearly as well as a real-life therapist could. I have a whole lotta education, but I don't have a degree in social work or psychology.

So don't toss out the idea of seeing a counselor or therapist before you give it a REAL try. Don't shut out your therapist. Build your relationship. Learn to trust them. If you can't, find a therapist you CAN trust. That will put you on a path to real healing.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.