Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » How to ask a nurse...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to ask a nurse...
Sakuza
Neophyte
Member # 23212

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Sakuza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I was just wondering how to ask a nurse if I could see her in private. I want to have sex, but I don't want my parents knowing I am going to get help from a nurse for pills/shots/etc. I am afraid of my parents finding out. I would never have sex without protection, and I don't want to rely on a condom alone. Actualy, we don't want to use a condom since it takes the real feel away. So, if there is any help out there for me, please I would love to get it.

Thanks!
*Sakuza*

Thank you, but I am not sure how to ask the nurse on the phone. Also, what ways could I get my parents to not ask me questions about being at the docter's office. Any good ideas on what I could say, or how to plan a way to see the nurse?

[This message has been edited by Sakuza (edited 05-01-2005).]

Posts: 4 | From: Flower Mound, TX, US | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 18722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 113533     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could always call ahead of time, and tell them that you want to speak with the nurse privately. They will ask your parents to leave the room, and then you will have time to talk with her about your concerns.

Your other option is to visit a family planning clinic (ex. planned parenthood). Their services are confidential, and oftentimes very inexpensive.

Just as a side note, condoms don't really take anything away from the "real feeling". You say you would never have sex without protection, however most other forms of birth control, while preventing pregnancy, do nothing to protect you from STDs. Just something to think about when you are considering the precautions you will be taking in practicing safer sex.

Posts: 169 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
You and your partner should also read these articles together as they provide some reality checks for the two of you to consider:

Ready or Not? The Readiness Checklist

First Intercourse 101

Safe, Sound & Sexy : A Safer Sex How-To

------------------
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

- Galileo

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sakuza
Neophyte
Member # 23212

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Sakuza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you both ^-^

If anyone else has any suggestions, please share with me

*Sakuza*

Posts: 4 | From: Flower Mound, TX, US | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GoddessWorship
Neophyte
Member # 23068

Icon 14 posted      Profile for GoddessWorship     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ways to talk to the nurse alone. Well, humm… You could do what I did and go without your parents. I was thirteen, Linus was sixteen. He took me up there. I went in and told them what I wanted. It was pretty painless, but a world of new experiences.

That day I got on Depo-Provera, Linus got condoms, and we both got a full STD panel. Neither of us had had sex before, but we wanted to ensure nothing asymptomatic was passed to either of us at birth. Honestly I would recommend this to everyone who is thinking about becoming sexually active. It protects you and it protects your partner.

I agree with 113533 concerning Condoms. You should always use them. Linus and I are very serious when it comes to our futures. I am fifteen now, he is eighteen. We use Depo-Provera, Condoms, Spermicide and withdrawal in conjunction. Yes it is overkill, but we both have big plans for the future. Linus and I have been together two and half years now. We are very close and love each other very much.

You may want to consider talking to your mom also. I did not, but that turned out to be a mistake. The way she found out was horrible and it hurt her.

If your area is like mine, you will have to do more than speak with a nurse in order to get on pills or shots. I had to go through an exam. I requested the STD test, but the general OB/GYN exam was required.

Blessed be,

Kathy

Posts: 1 | From: Oxford, MS | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sakuza
Neophyte
Member # 23212

Ahh, thanks. ^-^ Yeah, I'm 16 and my boyfrined is 19. We also have very important plans ahead of us. He doesn't live near me though, he is visiting from Cali so I won't be seeing him very often, maybe 3 times at the most before I'm 18, then I move in with him. So, should I concider getting something temporary then or still get birth controls that I have to be taken continuously?

Thank you very much,
*Sakuza*

Oh, and I'm also afraid of getting my boyfriend in trouble for being older than 18 and us having sex. I won't have to give out information about him or would the nurse have any right to do anything about it? Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Sakuza (edited 05-01-2005).]

dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To let you know, age of consent in Texas is 17, which means until you are 17, you cannot legally engage in sexual activity with him. This is more for his sake than yours, because if your parents found out, they could press charges and he could get into big trouble legally. Or in any other circumstance where legal authority might find out.

Because of patient confidentiality a nurse or doctor cannot diclose any information about you to anyone except in situations that you might hurt/kill yourself or others. And there is no reason you need to give information about the age of your boyfriend to them.

It's very smart of you to want to be protected with hormonal birth control as well as condoms, very safe and smart! And there's no reason you have to wait until the moment you become sexually active to go on hormonal birth control or invest in condoms/lubricant, as long as there won't be any unhealthy risks in taking the birth control and a doctor OKs everything, you're fine.

But, I'd honestly recomend waiting to become sexually active until you're 17, to avoid any legal complications that could potentially arise.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sakuza
Neophyte
Member # 23212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sakuza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you ^-^ I apreciate everyone's help.

*Sakuza*

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.