Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Hush Hush on Suicide

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hush Hush on Suicide
Lau-Saturnine
Activist
Member # 19052

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Lau-Saturnine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I know this is a very sad thread but I was reading some of the past commentaries on this site and noticed many people deal with depression. Some even contemplate death; it struck me as very saddening just like it would any one.

Suicide is a topic that is often ‘hushed hushed’ and when I took Sociology I learned that suicide is often not reported when it occurs because the media is too afraid to influence those who are more so susceptible to it. Sadly, this makes suicide a topic of avoidance and sometimes when that occurs it can be too late for someone to realize the symptoms or do anything about it.

I think it’s important for people to deal with these feelings, because even though someone may not be suicidal their situation could lead to drastic measures. Suicide is the second leading cause for people aged 15-24, and it is a very impulsive action for many. Some plan it others don’t stop to think. It is like an epidemic and many do not know how to handle it and what to look out for if they themselves know/or are contemplative.

Though this may not be fully related to any particular sexual education, there are cases where a abusive relationship, or simply the end of a relationship causes people to impulsively see no other means of dealing, thus I thought I’d post this link here and if the need arise have it moved elsewhere. I know this thread is more frequented than others and I think it’s very valuable that people become aware of such a devastating topic that is blanketed by society and only reported as a number, a number that truly and really in the biggest sense of the word, is too high to grasp.

Link: http://www.healthyplace.com/communities/depression/related/suicide_faq.asp#Q7

~Saturnine~ “I once had a garden of flowers that only grew on dark thoughts. But they needed constant attention, and one day I decided I had better things to do.”- Unknown

[This message has been edited by Lau-Saturnine (edited 08-17-2004).]

Posts: 129 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't relevant to sex or sexual health per se, so I'm going to move it to "Support Groups".
Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandcannon
Neophyte
Member # 19714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandcannon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I attempted suicide once, with a needle,but at the last second, I realized what that would do to my family. one of the leading cause for suicide is the loss of another family member, especially suicide. I don;t want my family to cry because of me, for me. They sould live the rest of their wieghed down. I know I would. And in a world thats fastly growing harder and harder to live in, who can deal with that? My fathers older sister, who I never met, commited suicide. Her entire family is wiehged down. At the mear mention of her name, people grow silent. Is this what we want? Generations of people hurt and trampled? For that reason, I have never since considered suicide as a relief.

When I made my attempt, I wrote a list of about 20 people with a note blaming them for this. I still have the note. I realize that its very likely that it is very likely that one of the these people would also commit suicide. Then that owuld cause another person to commit suicide, and another, and on and on it would go. I decided I wasn't going to cause that.

I definetely believe that the media should be more candid about suicide. I once saw a thing on I think CNN, which was an interview with a girl who everyone believed was "perfect" who attempted suicide by jumping of a brigde. They asked her why? She went on to explain why. I was pleasantly surprised. this was what I had long hoped for. Someone finally trying to explain it. Afterwards she explained that now thats shes made some changes to her life, she doesn't feel like that any more. Now let me ask this. How many people do you think that stopped from commiting suicide. Just one person talking about why, and it changes everything. thats what I think should happen. People have to come out of the closet on suicide.

------------------
Love is the art of controling something that your not sure exists
-Gasseau

Posts: 30 | From: Rockville, MD | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
illuminatedmind
Activist
Member # 17190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for illuminatedmind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After all that, I wanted to add, if anyone you know does appear to be showing signs, or does tell you "in confidence" don't think you have to keep quiet about it. Chances are, they will need help you can't give, and if you're the only one who knows you may be able to save them by telling. You may wonder what may happen if you do tell, but think about what may happen if you don't tell.
Posts: 198 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.