Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Asthma

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Asthma
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many of you have asthma? I have it, and I'm really getting sick of it. It's killing me inside and out. Not only can I not breathe, I am terrified. Not being able to breath is really scary, and I'm just so afraid that one day I'll forget my meds, or... They won't work, or... I just won't be here anymore.

I'm just looking for some support. I just want to breathe like a normal person, but I can't. Even with all the medication I take, I still have troubles. It's very nerveracking to be taking all these meds, and they don't work all the time.

I take Albuterol in the inhalor form and the nebulized form. Then I take Singulair, Flovent, and I just started another round of Pretnizone(sp?) steroids. What other medications do you take? What works for you and what doesn't?

I'm really just looking for some support. I'm so sick of this.

------------------
Useless Crap

"I'll turn him into a flea, a harmless little flea, and then I'll put him into a box and put that box inside another box then I'll mail that box to myself... hahaha, and then I'll smash it with a hammer!"
Emperor's New Groove

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when i used to exercise vigorously, i would be prone to having minor asthma attacks. my bronchioles would just tighten up and my chest would feel like it was about to implode. and breathing became a chore! soccer was the worst culprit of this. i use Proventil. Or at least, I did. I don't anymore 'cause I'm a lop and don't play like i used to. But I have had episodes where my lungs would freak out while hiking. I'd have to stop, sit down and put my arms over my head. That helps, but it still takes some time to recover.

------------------
I bust my arse so that I can get somewhere in life, so why am I not there yet?

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i just got diagnosed with severe asthma about a month ago. i had no previous history with it, so it came as a real surprise.
right now i have some wierd purple dic thing i'm supposed to use, and an emergency puffer.

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
I had asthma from childhood into my 40's. I was on Salbutamol, Serevent, and Becloforte. And unexpectedly, I found that I no longer needed them. I last purchased Serevent and Becloforte in August, 1998. I still carry a salbutamol puffer with me as an insurance policy but I seldom use it.

I know my situation is individual but there is hope that asthma is not always life-long.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was diagnosed with mild asthma in childhood, and it's gotten better as I've gotten older. I used to have to take various types of medication for it (although I've forgotten exactly what medication I was taking), and it would act up regularly. It's gotten less severe as I've grown up, to the point where now it only bothers me after a lot of exercise -- and even then it's just a mild annoyance, on par with a headache. I keep some Proventil in my home for those times.
Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like most of you grew out of it. I'm growing into it, but maybe I'll eventually grow out of it. I hope so, at least.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one though. It helps to know that I'm not all alone. Thanks.

------------------
Useless Crap

"I'll turn him into a flea, a harmless little flea, and then I'll put him into a box and put that box inside another box then I'll mail that box to myself... hahaha, and then I'll smash it with a hammer!"
Emperor's New Groove

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My ex-husband had adolescent-onset asthma, and so I guess you could say he grew into it. You have my sympathy. Although I don't have asthma, I still remember my jaw surgery at age 16 (part of my orthodontic work) and waking up in intensive care afterwards with the tubes still in my throat and that terrifiying feeling of not being able to breathe.

The good thing is that they're finding new treatments and suchlike all the time, so maybe within a few years you'll be able to kick it medically even if you don't grow out of it.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

I'm now on Advair, and it's working so well! My peak flow is so much higher than before and I haven't had any problems yet. I hope it stays that way for a long time! The only problem is that I get a little more shakes than Flovent, and my throat gets a little sore. I can live with that though.

I'm just so happy!

------------------
Useless Crap

"This **** ain't over until the last record spins." Groove

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.