Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » fearfearfear

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: fearfearfear
Duff
Activist
Member # 2176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so scared, still after everything that happend with the WTC, I'm just so scared of whats going to happen. I mean when the papers are talking about your biggest fear and you feel like you destiny is to bejust another casualty how are you supposed to deal with it?
how are people dealing with whats going on? i understand that people want to get away from all of it, and maybe not want to talk about it, but i am someone, and i know not the only one who still wants to talk about it and still needs support. I feel liek i need to know how other people are living, and planning to live they're lives, how the tragedy has changed your life, or your veiw on life. I feel like myself and the world will never be the same. I'm just still scared and effected.

Everytime i wake up and wonder if today i'll be walking down the street and the car i'm walking by will explode, i can't take the subway to much because i'm too afraid of biological and chemical warfare, i'm afraid that my train will derail or explode, ever plane overhead scares me. My school is by and armory and i have to walk by camoflauge vechicles everymorning. I'm in some way's paralized, and extreemly confused. I need to communicate, and hear what people are feeling, noto only those in my situation either. I need some out of city input as well as in city input, i need to hear what people want, what they need, what they think, what they're dreams are.

thank you.

Posts: 162 | From: NYC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarlingBri
Activist
Member # 5036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarlingBri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Duff...

I can relate to how you're feeling. I'm a native born-and-bred New Yorker, and I experienced the horror of watching all of this take place.

But I'm also an ex-pat, now living in London, and this is a place where domestic terrorism is a fact of life.

Because of the fairly persistant bombings we have here, life has changed. There are very few public trash bins, and almost none on trains (good places to put bombs), for example. If you're on the undergraound (subways system) and you see bags, packages, etc, left by someone, you report them immediately to station security and they call a bomb disposal unit. Same thing in airports and buildings.

And maybe all that makes it sound like Londoners walk around in a state of fear all the time. We don't. That kind of alertness and responsibility has simply become second nature to us.

For people living in America, especially New Yorkers, domestic terrorism is now a fact of your life, too. And you *will* adjust - but you need to give yourself time. The process will take a little while because the people around you are also new to this, the scale was massive, and the shock is still reverberating.

The other thing I would say to you is that I have personally chosen not to worry about things I cannot control. I put my attention to things withing my influence - I'm alert to packages, people, etc. I don't, however, worry about biological and chemical warefare because there's nothing I can do to guard against that. Nothing. Buy bottled water if it makes you feel better, but it's not going to change a lot.

I've found a few things helpful; maybe you will, too...

1/ I stopped watching the news. I read a paper everyday, but I don't watch TV. I don't need to hear about "what might happen" in chemical warfare situations, for example. A *lot* of things might happen, but they also might not. I think TV is promoting paranoia by running stories on this, just to have news to produce. It's not news, it's conjecture.

2/ Plan for a normal life. Do normal stuff. Go to the movies. Make plans for the summer. Look to the future and plan to be enjoying it.

I'll be home in NYC in a few days. Will the city make me nervous? I don't know. I don't think so. I try to be rational and logical in the face of fear. Statistically, I am unlikely to be the victim of a terrorist attack. Car bombs in the city are pretty rare. I guess I don't worry about it any more than I worry about getting hit by lightening or having a heart attack. Both could happen... but probably won't. I can only apply common sense and alertness to avoid those things, and that's what I do.

OK, I'm done rambling...

------------------
Hope this helps,
--Bri

Posts: 848 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey
Activist
Member # 5304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeffrey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just think about the situation critically and use common sense. You're far, far, far more likely to die from a heart attack or something than from a terrorist attack. Just look at the price of life insurance... Notice that it's not skyrocketing.

Anyways, if you continue to think about it mathematically, the whole thing has been blown way out of proportion. By the time I finish writing this, probably hundreds of people will have been painfully killed by disease, famine, etc. Oh well, 'ignorance is bliss' right?

So don't worry. I'll bet you $20 that you'll still be alive by the end of the month. That's what life insurance is, right? :P

Posts: 107 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa D
Activist
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Feeling frightened after the terrorist attacks really is normal, but the secret, as Bri said, is to make plans, go about your business, and just LIVE LIFE.

Not to sound cliche, but time really is a wonderful healer. As it goes by, you will feel better, and more towards a more "normal" existence again.

Posts: 442 | From: Dublin, OH USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Doe
Activist
Member # 3836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Doe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Jeffrey, a good look at the odds is always reassuring, that and the knowledge that security has been tightened so tha odds of something happening to you now are actually lower than they were on 9/10. Apx 6000 people died in the attacks, the US has almost 300 million people in it. Thus if there were to be another attack of the same magnitude against the US tomorrow, the odds of you being in it are 50,000 to 1 against. this means that the US could withstand repeated almost daily attacks of that magnitude for years before it became likely that any given individual would die as a result. Remember also that terrorism has been a fact of life throughout the world for decades now, an never before has there been anything with close to this high a death toll, mot really major terrorist attacks result in fewer than 100 dead. Awful yes, but you are still taking a bigger risk if you go for a drive without your seatbelt fastened or ride a motorcycle without a helmet. I hope this helps put it in perspective.
Posts: 475 | From: ohio | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.