Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Getting over anorexia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Getting over anorexia
Live4Play
Neophyte
Member # 5396

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Live4Play     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last year i suffered heavily from anorexia, and i spose ive only just got over it, i still have those days when i cant eat and i just want to curl up and hide. I lost a lot of my friends in that year, i lost a lot of me. Anorexia really isn't fun and i know i sound so hypocritical but just stop now if your thinking about it...please, its not worth it. I'd love to talk to anyone whose over it, or anyone whose trying to get over it. xxx Tay
Posts: 1 | From: London, England | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, i'm a former bulimic. it's not exactly anorexia, but i think we probably shared a fe of the same awful habits and feeling. i remember being very anxious and depressed for a while. this was some 3 years ago when i started university. i was under a lot of stress. at the time, my relationship with someone i cared for very deeply was crumbling and there was nothing i could really do about it. and my mum was giving me a hard time about my weight. sound familiar at all? at the time my friends didn't know. i hid things pretty well. most of them still don't know; perhaps it's better that way.

well, i knew all along that there was something seriously wrong with my binging and purging. took a few months, but i finally got myself together and stopped. simply made myself stop. i kept myself in good company, studied hard and just pulled myself out of whatever slump it was i was in. that's not the best way for some -- they may need a good coaxing out, someone to talk to, real help. for me, it was just a big, fat dose of resolve. i was careful with what i ate (it's harder to purge some things, like if you eat pretty lightly and just work your way back up to normal).

anyway, i hope i wasn't too pointless for you. take care.

------------------
A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calypsobreeze
Neophyte
Member # 5402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for calypsobreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Girl you are conquering one of life's hardest battles. You are a conquerer! I struggled for years with anorexia and then bulemia and I would never have chosen to go through any of it but I am thankful for the strength beating it has given me (and will eventually give you). It is not a battle that is not over in a month, for some it takes months...for me more than a year. Every now and then I still have hard days where I'm down on myself or life and struggle with eating or keeping food down. It does get easier though I promise. Sometimes you just have to take it a day at a time, sometimes an hour or minutes at a time. Some things that helped me were to think about how much that type of lifestlye hurt those that cared about me (I too lost friends through anorexia). When I couldn't eat for myself I ate for them. That may sounds totally wierd but it helped me. I really had to realize how much i was robbing myself of joy and missing out on life. I not only wanted to be thin I wanted control in my life, but it made me lose control. it changed the way other people viewed me. As cliche as this sounds the people that are worth having in your life will love and care about you regardless of how you look or what you're going through. No one deserves to go through anorexia. Life is precious and so are you. I do not need to know you to know that you are worth taking care of. so take in day at a time (dont feel bad if you have take it at even an hour or a minute at a time if you have to). Emerse yourself in and with activities and people that make you feel good about yourself. Above all never lose hope and give yourself grace. You WILL be stronger for conquering anorexia!
hope always.
Jewelz
(email me if ya ever need someone who understands to talk to)

------------------
"you never find yourself until you face the truth." - Pearl Baily

[This message has been edited by calypsobreeze (edited 09-27-2001).]

[This message has been edited by calypsobreeze (edited 09-27-2001).]

Posts: 3 | From: USA all the way | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.