Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » scarring

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: scarring
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 13 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to cut myself on my arms, and on my thighs.
I haven't done it in months, but I obviously still have scars. No one really knows about the ones on my legs, except for my best friend who knows all about my cutting, but the one on my arm is the one that everyone kind of knows about. The scars are fading since I put this moisturizing Vitamin E + Aloe Vera Baby Oil on, but the scars are still noticable, and people ask about it sometimes.

My problem is, when people ask me what happened, I never know what to say! I just freeze up and say "uh, it happened a long time ago" or "uhh nothing!", so my question is what should I say to people when they ask?
And these aren't really my friends asking, just aquaintances at school.

Also, if I put on the moisturizing every day, how long do you think it will take for the scars to almost completely fade?

Thanks a bunch!

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bhsshelly
Neophyte
Member # 11924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bhsshelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT SCARING OR DOING THINGS LIKE CUTTING MYSELF BUT I DO KNOW HOW TO GET RID OF PEOPLE. WHEN THEY ASK YOU WHAT HAPPENT JUST MAKE UP SOME STORY ABOUT HOW YOU WERE HANGING OUT WITH ELVIS AND HE SAID MIND YOUR BUSINESS
Posts: 8 | From: NYC,NY,USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nifty
Activist
Member # 11254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nifty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
some scars fade quickly - others take a long time. i had (have) a couple of big scars on my face - they took about 2 years to fade - i recently had surgery on them and the nurses said it would take about that long again. don't worry about them too much. the important thing is u r not hurting you anymore right? people ask me what happened to me alot of the time -i had an argument with a window, by the way! (heh - duuh )- i wouldnt mind but it's people i just don't know! off the street, you know? these people have no manners. its them that have the problem. dont worry about it.
why don't you try some make up? foundation or some thing? i dont know how it works for scars on the arm, ask one of thouse make-over people that are always standing about in debenhams and places (it works for the face ) vit-E is always good though they tell you that at hospital but it's really expensive huh?
hope that helps

Posts: 52 | From: england | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
youcancallmepunk
Activist
Member # 11139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for youcancallmepunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever tried cocoa butter? It's often used by pregnant women to help prevent stretch marks, so maybe it could help with scarring.

I use Tone, body wash and soap, which is cocoa butter based, and I don't know if it's timeor that, but my scars have faded, but not gone (still a very pale white).

------------------
~Jay
"I am the sum of my parts and infinitely more so. The hum of my brain, the curve of my torso. The spark of my wit, the depth of my heart. Size is no measure in such a work of art" (from a Hanes Her Way ad)

Posts: 197 | From: north carolina, United States | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark_Wolf
Neophyte
Member # 10024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dark_Wolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand that you don't know what to say when someone asks what the mark is. It's not like you can look up at them with big eyes and declare "I did it when I was mutilating myself, aren't I clever?"
Cos no-one feels proud of what they have done to themselves and all kinds of rumours fly from a statement like that. My advice to you is: If you know the person well enough to trust them to not make it into a big deal, then quietly tell them that you did it to yourself and that it's a difficult subject. If you don't, however, trust them not to start rumour or turn it into a big deal, then don't tell them anything. It could cause problems. Just say it's nothing.
*Dark_Wolf*

Posts: 37 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.