Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » different culture

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: different culture
starrykiss
Neophyte
Member # 3948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for starrykiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At school one Day I was sitting in class listening to my geography teacher talk about what happen during world war 2 & trying not to cry. It sad what happened to all those people but that was not the reason I was trying not to cry it was because I am german and it really hurts listening to the people you grew up with bad mouthing germans I know what happened with hilter and most germans And others but not all germans are/were mean that is why I am over in the states because my great grand mother did not want to be a part of the killing and cruelty. And we still got tagged.
Some people from Japan might feel the same way.

If so please post here.

------------------
starrykiss*

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would assume by saying "all those people," you are probably referring to those who were put to death in the Holocaust. Definitely a horrific event in human history, where entire families on my mom's side were wiped out.

But as you say, it is certainly unfair to hold grudges with people of German descent these days. It has been 50 years, and many things have changed since then. Sometimes I talk to German and Japanese friends and I am amazed that a few generations ago we would have been at war with one another.

And keep in mind it isn't just those of German and Japanese descent. I lived in Japan during the summer of 1995, which coincided with the 50th anniversary of the dropping of atomic weapons at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. While most people were very friendly, some older Japanese absolutely villified me. So it does work both ways.

------------------
"Unit 12, 12D, 16A, 18S; respond to the fight in progress, weapons used are hands and feet. Suspect 1 is a male white with no arms or legs..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a country that got captured by Japan during World War II, my grandparents and many older folks are still very anti-Japan.

While I think my grandparents might not react as strongly anymore towards the Japanese which largely has to do with the fact that my father does alot of business with the Japanese, they will never forget the happenings.

Our local television stations have been producing a couple of shows which have to do with the Japanese Occupation which I absolutely refuse to watch. Simply because it is propaganda and all it does is stir up feelings of resentment amongst Singaporeans who have never been part of the World War.

Reading my history textbooks and knowing how Japanese soldiers threw babies in the air and bayoneted them just brings me so much pain and anger but at the end of the day, it is over. And all I really hope now is that the Japanese government will stop covering up the part they played during the World War and teach their descendants what really happened.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BruinDan:
But as you say, it is certainly unfair to hold grudges with people of German descent these days. It has been 50 years, and many things have changed since then. Sometimes I talk to German and Japanese friends and I am amazed that a few generations ago we would have been at war with one another.

Agreed. I'm Jewish and one of my friends is German. Her grandparents fought for Germany in WWII. At first, I felt a little uncomfortable, but we realized that it really didn't matter. Heck, one of my friends is half-Jewish and half-German! Go figure! (We have one teacher who used to ask them, "Do you ever get into fights with yourself?" )

------------------
"Only in dreams
We see what it means
Reach out our hands
Hold on to hers
But when we wake
It's all been erased
And so it seems
Only in dreams..."
-Weezer

"Wow, someone slept in sex ed!"

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.