Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Creative outlets here i come!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Creative outlets here i come!
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm stressed. I've been colouring ever since i got home from school yesterday (Friday) ... It's almost become an obsession i guess you could say.

When i'm stressed out, i normally will just cry. Crying wasn't working this time. So i printed off a few pages from disney cartoon things and coloured away. My head just clears when i do that. Nothing bothers me. And when i'm done, i'll sit down and think through what was bothering me so much before ... Sort of like leaving a hard math problem until after dinner b/c you just know the stupid textbook will go flying out the window if you don't. Things seem so much clearer when you go back to them later.

What do you guys do to clear your head? When did you discover this was your "outlet"?

------------------
When mom found my diaphram, I told her it was a bathing cap for my cat.
~ Liz Winston

In a Smurf's world ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
x

[This message has been edited by BruinDan (edited 09-26-2002).]

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oo, coloring! My college roommates and I used to do that all the time when we were stressed, and then hang our drawings on the walls and the fridge.

These days I try to walk or swim (haven't been doing as much of that as I'd like) cause I find physical activitiy, particularly repetitive motion, to be nice and conducive for thinking about things.

Or I play tai pei on my computer. It's just a simple pattern matching game.

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AngelElisheva
Activist
Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AngelElisheva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sit down at my piano, get out some old music that I haven't worked on for years, and play it. Or, depending on what's bothering me, I will start playing the most minor (most minor?), most sad Chopin, the sweetest Schumann, or the deepest Rachmaninoff I can find. Usually, while I'm playing I start thinking about whatever it is that's bothering me and the music helps. See, for me, a piece of music is a story - if it starts out sad, then something good happens somewhere in the middle and it ends on a slightly happier note, etc. I just sort of piece my problems into the music and let it tell me what to do. Most music has a "happy ending."

Wierd, huh?

~Angel~

------------------
Nobody knows what you know, nobody's seen what you've seen, nobody's lived what you've lived...so why let them judge you?
~Personal Quote~

You know, Hobbes, sometimes I think the surest sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
~Calvin~

Posts: 176 | From: Middle of Nowhere, PA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To clear my head? I will answer forums sometimes, but not usually. When i'm upset i usually don't want to go on the unterent. Usually, i will read or write. I just think that reading really helps me get away. It makes me not have to think about what's goin on in life. When i write, it's sometimes peoms or stories. But usually just poems or my life, in my journal. I can write so much in my journal. Usually about 4 pages. It's just nice to be able to forget stuff and srite about whatever you want. It doesn't have to make sense, it doesn't even hve to be about me.

When did i discover that these were my outlets? I guess, about a year ago, for forums, and for journal, about 4 years ago, but i'm much more into writing in my journal now. The most time i've left in between days that i write in my journal is 10 days, since i started a new journal on Febuary 24.

*smiles*

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Country Girl
Activist
Member # 3380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Country Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*laughs* I sure need to clear my head sometimes! Eeekkk.... Anyhow... as many said, keeping a journal really helps to sort out your thoughts and it helps to get it all off your chest.

Another thing that I love doing to clear my head is I take a walk in the woods with my headphones and music... I'll leave really stressed and come back much calmer and with more confidence. It really helps.

------------------
"I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow."

Care to read my thoughts?

Posts: 80 | From: VT | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reading. No matter how hellish the day has been I can always get caught up in a book and I and my problems no longer exist as I help Macbeth plot Duncan's murder, row past Skhylla and Karybdis hoping I don't get eaten, or wonder if Zaphod Beeblebrox has ever been sober as I pull out my kill-o-zap gun to defend the galaxy from Krikkiters. I like the diary too--blogger is a great place to make one at. And of course, listening to musicals, the plots are as involving as those in books.
Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.