Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Worrying

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Worrying
ningrrl
Activist
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ningrrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a problem.. and I was wondering if anyone else was similar to this.

I am a really sensitive person.
Sometimes I will think of something, and it will bother me and nag at my mind. And I will worry about it. You always feel so anxious like you need to tell someone.
Just different, certain things bother you and make you worry about stuff.

All that stems back from parts of my childhood..(Long story.)
Anyone else like this?

------------------

shedding skin sucumb defeat
this machine is obsolete

Posts: 124 | From: Lucasville, OH, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ningrrl
Activist
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ningrrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shall also add that sometimes it makes me so frustrated and I cry.
I've started taking St. John's Wort to maybe help with this.
For a while, this worrying and such went away.. This past summer it came back. I'm trying my hardest to think of other things and let go of my past.
It was kinda hard for me to post this, because I deny it so much and try to push it away. Even though I've been like this since I was a kid, Mom says she went through a stage like this and she thinks I'll grow out of it. I think I eventually will too.
------------------

this machine is obsolete

[This message has been edited by ningrrl (edited 04-09-2001).]

Posts: 124 | From: Lucasville, OH, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*HUGS!* I'm sorry your worrying has affected you so negatively . I worry sometimes, but it doesn't get to the point where I get frustrated and cry. I'm glad you're taking St. John's Wart to help you. My dad's on that, too.

Your mom could be right, it may just be a phase, but you never know. Have you talked with your doctor about it? Maybe he'll have some tips to help you. And maybe if the problem comes from your childhood a counselor could help you work through that and eventually get over it. That's what they're there for!

I really wish you the best of luck, and keep me updated on how things go, okay? I'll be thinking about ya. Take care.

------------------
"Straight it boring," ~Loreal Le Grande Curl commercial

Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ella
Activist
Member # 1168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're worrying about something then sometimes telling somebody about it works, if not another person than just writing it down can help. Get it out of your mind because worry tends to get magnified in the mind. Good luck with that
Posts: 303 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ningrrl
Activist
Member # 685

The stuff I mainly worried about in childhood was religion and hell and stuff like that, and there was other parts to it, such as I felt like I had to tell my mom everything for some odd reason. It was so frustrating. I did go to different counselors for periods of time. It seemed to go away, but now I seem to worry about stuff again. It seemed to come back when I told my boyfriend about my past. It's weird and kinda hard to explain. I think it is a phase, I just need to get out and enjoy life.

------------------

this machine is obsolete

italienprincess
Activist
Member # 3087

Icon 1 posted      Profile for italienprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dear gosh yes

my sister is very sensitive. she's 14 and if you say anything to her it seems like she runs off and cries. she's changing schools, getting her period reguarly, and it has kinda taken a toll on her.
are you very stressed out? that could be a major part of it.
if not, dont owrry, growing up is very very hard on us.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that, for me at least, sometimes I just have to force myself to not worry. I obsess over things -- good things, bad things, neutral-but-interesting things -- and think about them again and again and again. It's just the way I am, and sometimes when one of those things I'm constantly thinking about is scary, I just have to force myself to stop thinking about it. This may not apply to any of you, though, and if it doesn't, I'd advise talking to someone who'll reassure you. If worrying is really affecting your life badly, you might want to make that someone a counselor. Good luck either way, though.
Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, ningrrl, what you have said sounds a lot like Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD). It's an anxiety disorder that causes a person to obsess over a certain worry, which gets blown out of proportion, and sometimes they feel compelled to do certain things (for instance, if you worry about hell, you may pray to God to take you to heaven). I've had OCD and anxiety problems since i was little. For more info, go here: www.ocfoundation.org or try www.adaa.org.

Hope I helped!!!

Take care, sweetie!!!!

------------------
"Would you rather be reincarnated as a farm animal or a muppet?"

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whooooa ... Only in dreams, we can't diagnose here. I know you're just trying to help, but a lot of the time telling people they have something that they don't only adds to the worry. At least w/ hypochondriacs like me ... LOL

Anywho, yes, ningirl, you need to talk to someone. Talk about your fears and what makes you so unhappy, and maybe throw in what OID said about OCD (that looks kinda funny...) and see what they think. A lot of the time talking will do the trick tho. Keeping things bottled up is no fun.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, sorry. I didn't mean to diagnose, but I guess I went overboard. I'm a little bit of a hypochndriac myself, so I know what you mean.

Anyway, ningrrl, you should definitely talk to someone about it. Like Lilbluesmurf said, it's not good to keep it bottled up. Talk it over with someone.

------------------
"Would you rather be reincarnated as a farm animal or a muppet?"

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nin, I used to be really, really sensitive, and still am fairly so, but I figure it just helps me to exist as a more humane person. BTW, I really do feel the need to mention that St John's wort can make the Pill inneffective.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duff
Activist
Member # 2176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah i'm also really senstive, and worry a lot, i worry about death all the time, i worry so much that i start to cry because i think the world is going to end sometimes. I cry outa frustration too. I'm also gullable too, so don't worry so much, get help if you can. If thats not the way you want to go, just make sure theres someone there for you, that what gets me out of ruts, someone who i really care about.
Posts: 162 | From: NYC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starry Night
Activist
Member # 3476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starry Night     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am also extremely sensitive. Even at 18 years old, I find myself tearing up over lots of things. Especially the slightest things - like right now, I tear up at the least bit of a mention of me going to college in the fall, and especially about getting everything organized. I find that I'm highly disciplined when it comes to most things, especially schoolwork, and it leads me to be inflexible at times. I also worry about things I have no control over - like who my roomate will be, or even things I do have control over - which job to work at this summer. When that happens and I start to stress out, I go into a room where I can sit quietly for a few minutes and read a magazine, watch tv, or even check my e-mail. I can compose myself fairly quickly and I learned that even though it's so, so hard to do, I HAVE to take things one step and one day at a time. Every day, deal with one stressful project or thought, and give yourself a reward - a favorite snack, a new lipstick, a cool new outfit, a CD - when you get through each tough task. It helps me make things easier. Also, it helps me alot to think that by this time tomorrow, I'll have dealt with it already.
Posts: 164 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ningrrl
Activist
Member # 685

As I said, I had gone to a counselor for a while. Mom said they had diagnosed me with a little bit of OCD.. I don't really think that's it because it has gone away, come back, blah blah blah.. Like other people have posted here, I worry about stuff. I find my situation quite similar to Lynne's. Sometimes we should just relax. :P
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

quote:
Originally posted by ningrrl:
As I said, I had gone to a counselor for a while. Mom said they had diagnosed me with a little bit of OCD.. I don't really think that's it because it has gone away, come back, blah blah blah.. Like other people have posted here, I worry about stuff. I find my situation quite similar to Lynne's. Sometimes we should just relax. :P

Well, the thing about (OCD and) worries is that they can go away and come back. I've been a worrier all my life, and sometimes there will be months where all I do is worry, and then I'll be fine for a few months.

------------------
"Only in dreams
We see what it means
Reach out our hands
Hold on to hers
But when we wake
It's all been erased
And so it seems
Only in dreams..."
-Weezer

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: All your base are belong to us!

Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worry all the time too. Not about religion, but just about everything else. Money, relationships, even just having to call and order a pizza. I'm not sure I can give you any advice, but you certainly have my sympathy.
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ningrrl
Activist
Member # 685

I understand what you are saying, OID. Mom told me today that they didn't diagnose me with that. But you know, a lot of people I know are big worry warts anyway. Mom says I am oversensitive, and if I keep worrying about it, then I'd give myself OCD, haha. When I think about it, worrying doesn't really affect me if I just stand back and look at the bigger picture. I also looked at those OCD websites, and they just don't really pertain to me I don't think.

------------------

this machine is obsolete

Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I think we should start a worry-warts club. What do ya think? We can all worry together! LOL.

But seriously: I can understand times of deep worry... It usually doesn't get to the point where I lose control, but it can affect me very negatively. I, too, worry about death and dying, though as I am getting older my worries of that are easing up. I'm learning more about life and learning to accept the realities of it. And I think of how maybe when something or someone dies they are ready to go in some way. And I can only hope that they go on to a wonderful new life.

But back to the subject: It really helps me to go to the creek and just sit there and ponder my situation. I find that sitting in my favorite spot alone can calm me, and I get more thinking done that way. I'm the sort of person who needs to think about situations before I jump right into them. I've always been that way, and I have to accept that and use that knowledge. I find that knowing myself and how to help myself can really come in handy when something pops up.

So I know that was just a lot of rambling, but I hope it helped someone in some way. Good luck with your worries, everyone.

------------------
Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow?

"Well, I use fertilizer and a new product I got at The Home Depot."

Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aquamarine
Activist
Member # 3296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquamarine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't cry often, so I've never been seen as an especially sensitive person. In fact, when I emerge from tearjerker movies dry-eyed my friends believe something is just...wrong...with me

I just don't get especially flustered--outwardly, that is. Inwardly I'm this mass of weirdness. Good thing? Bad thing? Well, it's who I am, and I've learned to make light of some of my worries.

Everyone who knows me finds me at least slightly obsessive. I worry about trivial things and about important things. Some of my close friends are concerned that I have this 'impossible desire to be perfect' (yes, direct quote). I've told them that I could never strive toward perfection. I'm just trying to be the best I can be each day.

I just wish trying to be the best I can involved less late-night mad rushes to finish my homework after wading through a bunch of extracurricular activities. Oh well. I signed up for all the stuff, so who I am to complain?

Posts: 87 | From: bay area & new england | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ningrrl
Activist
Member # 685

Well, it really makes me feel better that now I know I'm not the only one that is like this.

------------------

this machine is obsolete

golden101
Activist
Member # 3133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for golden101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Lynne, you sound exactly like me!!!
quote:
I obsess over things -- good things, bad things, neutral-but-interesting things -- and think about them again and again and again. It's just the way I am, and sometimes when one of those things I'm constantly thinking about is scary, I just have to force myself to stop thinking about it

But you have to teach yourself not to worry so much. It's a lot easier to talk to somone about it, it takes a lot off your mind.

Posts: 227 | From: U.S.A | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.