Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Counseling

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Counseling
Member # 2648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrazyGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all... I had a question about counseling. I know many of you recommend talking to a professional for certain things, but I'm not sure what I can do. I feel that at times I could benefit from talking to someone, but the problem is that I'm a home schooler (no access to a school counselor). I have a permit, but no license, and I don't have access to a car of my own yet. (Working on getting one with my summer job though.) What can I do? Between trying to buy a car, fuel for the car that my sister drives me places in, dance classes & suplies, plus the move coming up, I'm a bit short on cash as well. Any ideas? I'm doing fine right now, (especially considering all the stress of the last couple of months) but I'm sure as you all know there are times when it just seems like too much and talking to a professional would probably help. Thanks for any advice/ideas.

"Always shoot for the moon because even if you miss you'll land among the stars." -Unknown

Posts: 136 | From: City of Angels | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sexy1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey. I have never talked to you before, so I don't know if you are religious or anything, but since you don't have a school consulor to talk to, a youth pastor could be benificial.

I am here to listen if you need me.

Posts: 64 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of people passing through here (this board especially) have been through some sort of professional counseling.

Me, I started through my school. But that isn't do-able in your situation. Hmm ... I think the only thing i could suggest for you is to talk to your parents. Maybe they can offer you some assistance.

If not, sexy1985 has a good suggestion as well. Maybe talking to your sister, dance instructor, or someone else close to you will help figure out how you can get what you're looking for.

There are many crisis numbers, if you're ever in need of someone to talk to right away. However, I don't know where you are right now, and the only one i know of is the Kids help phone, but I think that's just a Canadian thing ... hmm ...

While we're not professionals here, we're good listeners ... I promise

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also got hooked up with a counselor through my school, but since that's not an option for you, let's think of some other ways for you to get help:

~Talk to your parents about your situation (if you feel you can) and see if they can set you up with a counselor

~Ask a trusted adult (aunt, uncle, cousin, neighbor) to help you find a good therapist.

~Look through the phone book for different counseling services, ask them about their business, and their price range (since money is a factor). If you come across a place that you think would suit you, maybe you can get your parents or other trusted adult to take you there to talk with someone about possibly seeing a therapist there.

~If things really start to get rough, you can call a crisis hotline.

Good luck locating a counselor... We're here for you whenever you need to talk just incase you're still having trouble finding a therapist or just need to vent! (I understand how that goes... I always vent here ).

Take care!

Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow?

"Well, I use fertilizer and a new product I got at The Home Depot."

Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starry Night
Member # 3476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starry Night     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very often, local community centers or places like the Boys and Girls club have mentors you can talk to about any problems you might have, or life in general. Also, I believe, but am not sure, that they have toll free numbers if you're contemplating suicide to call. You might want to dial one of those numbers and ask if they have an affiliate network for maybe follow-ups about stress and stuff like that. Couldn't hurt, might help. Just make sure that if you call, specify that you're stressed and not suicidal during the first minute of your conversation.
Also, talking to a temple or church religious leader is a good idea. If you're not religious, perhaps there's someone in your community that you look up to. Many cities have Mentoring programs where you can be paired up with someone who works in a field you're interested in. You can call your local city hall or quite possibly, the office that handles foster care and child placement for your town, since they almost always know of agencies and groups like that b/c they match kids up with them all the time.
Or, write or call someone you admire and explain that you feel their presence in your life would benefit you alot. You never know what kind of answer you might get back.

Sorry this post is so long.
Hope it helps.

Posts: 164 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many public school districts in the US are required by law to make their services available to registered homeschoolers living in the district. Like, they *have* to let you take classes, use their library, be on sports teams, etc. I'm guessing that those laws would apply to access to school counselors as well. Check and see if anything like that is in place where you are.

Even if it's not, some school districts are simply genuinely friendly towards homeschoolers and will choose to include them in some things. I could check out library books from the highschool where I lived, in rednecksville's not a school I would have wanted to attend, but the librarians were quite friendly.

Everyone else has given good advice too. Let us know what you find...

Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

  New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3