Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » SMOKING..PLEASE READ

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SMOKING..PLEASE READ
fLoWuRz
Activist
Member # 2047

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fLoWuRz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a smoker.A very heavy smoker, mind you. I have been for the past 4 years. I am also on the pill. I know everyone is always saying "You really shouldn't be smoking while on the pill", but being the stubbern naive person I am, I ignored it. Today, however, is my first day as a NON-SMOKER...
My story goes like this...
A few nights ago, I was out with some friends. We went out for dinner, and to a movie, then bowling. I hadn't smoked any more than maybe 5 cigarettes in all that day, but I felt really crappy and I KNEW something was NOT right. So, I got my friend to drive me home, and I ran for the bathroom and just heaved all over. But what really scared me, was that about 50% of what came up, was blood. I started crying hystericly, until I looked in the mirror to see my face entirely covered in blood...my nose was also bleeding, out of both nostrils and I panicked, and passed out on the floor...that's when I woke up. I thought to myself "Thank heavens, it was ONLY a DREAM." So I got up and realized..this was no dream. I was still covered in blood and I was still in my bathroom. I tried to scream but I kept choking on my blood. No one was home, and I was in shock so I couldnt walk. I grabbed my coat, which was in the hall outside of my bathroom and grabbed my cell. I called my best friend, and no one was home. I called my boyfriend, but all I could do was cry. 5 minutes later I heard him come in the door. My vision and hearing was blury. I was in a dream-like state. My boyfriend arrived at the bathroom door, and started crying and ran to call 911..I heard him tell the dispatcher that it looked like someone had come in the house and beaten me. I couldnt even talk, so I tried throwing my shoe..but I had no strength. He rode with me in the ambulence, paramedics asking me questions but I was confused. I finally had the strength to turn towards my boyfriend, who was holding onto my hand and said "Am I going to die?"
The next thing I new, I woke up in an orange room, with flowers piled on the tables. My mom, dad, friends, my brother(whom I havent seen for about a week)and my boyfriend were there. I was relievd, and alive...

A few hours later, I was told that I had a blood clot in my chest...which was caused by smoking...while being on the pill.

If I could take back ANY day of my life, it wouldn't have been the day I started smoking while being on the pill, it would have been the day I started smoking in general. Any smoker knows how dificult it really is to just quit cold turkey, but I am now proud to say that I am a non smoker.I did NOT write this to get sympathy. I wrote it in hopes that my story will help some people make better decisions, and give them the ability to overcome certain situations, like this one.

Posts: 56 | From: to,cnd | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flowurz, what ever happened with your borther?
Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fLoWuRz
Activist
Member # 2047

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fLoWuRz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i kinda dont wana talk about that right now, but we did get it all cleared up.
Posts: 56 | From: to,cnd | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Tobacco must be the only over-the-counter product sold that is lethal when used as directed.

------------------
The most exciting phrase in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" ("I found it!") but rather "Hmmm... that's funny...."

- Isaac Asimov

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't smoke, but i know people who do, and i hope a story like that will scare them straight.(even if they aren't on the pill)

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a pretty traumatic experience, Flowurz. Actually, though, the greatest risk to smokers on the pill is a heart attack. The risk is also much greater to women over 35 (which is not to say that smoking isn't a really stupid idea no matter how old you are!) Here are a couple of sites with good information:

Planned Parenthood has a whole page called "Smoking or the Pill" that is extremely informative and should make anyone have serious thoughts about smoking, especially while on birth control pills.

The American Cancer Society has some scary statistics on the connection between smoking and all sorts of nasty diseases, although their section on women and smoking does not mention the interaction with birth control pills.

[This message has been edited by Lady Moonlight (edited 04-17-2001).]

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Camzie13
Activist
Member # 2908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camzie13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was scared shitless when i read your story. My mom smokes, and she has smoked since she was 13....aka about 34 years. I am terrified that she won't see my wedding, or her grandchildren, but my sis's and i have tried to get her to quit but nothin works. ne suggestions to get her to quit???

------------------
~Don't let in a bad relationship from the past ruin your present one; go through each relationship as if it was your first~
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~Don't try to teach a pig to sing, it won't happen and it will piss off the pig.~
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~Until you are prepared to support an "accident" baby, don't have sex in the first place!!~

Posts: 147 | From: NJ | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fLoWuRz
Activist
Member # 2047

well, i can see your concern here, and i feel for you, b/c both of my parents both to smoke. its kinda how i got started. but any smoker WILL tell you how hard it is to quit, especially after such a long time (like your mother). its not only extremely addictive, it becomes a routine and habbit. all you can pretty much do is give her all the support she needs, and never give up on her. motivation really helps.
good luck

Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately Camzie, if you've encouraged your mom to quit and told her how much you love her and how much it means to you, there's not much more you [u]can[/u] do. She's the one doing the smoking, and she's the one who's got to do the quitting. It's hard, I know, because it feels like she ought to love you enough to quit, but smoking is a hard addiction to break loose from and she's got to do it herself and for herself--you can't do it for her.

You might check that American Cancer Society link in my earlier post. I know they have suggestions for quitting, and you could certainly bombard her with statistics if you wanted.

------------------
And I've got no illusions about you.
Guess what? I never did.
When I said, when I said, "I'll take it."
I meant, I meant As Is.
--Ani DiFranco, "As Is"

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.