Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Child Abuse

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Child Abuse
Purple Lemonade
Activist
Member # 2674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Lemonade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was reading an article in the paper this morning about a 3 year old girl being raped and beaten to death by her stepfather.
The saddest thing is that, here, in the Philippines, 1 out of 25 children under the age of 15 have suffered at least some kind of physical abuse from family members. In USA it's 1 out of 75.
That makes me cry.
[off topic]
NASA has just spent 2 billion dollars, trying to crash the Mere Space Station.
How many children could you feed, or help with 2 billion....just a thought....
[/off topic]

Posts: 54 | From: Manila, Philippines | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's awful. I can't believe there is stuff like that out there. And you would think in society now, we could learn to use our money for much better things!
Grr...makes me so mad!

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno if throwing more money at a problem will necessarily solve it. It's more a question of being able to help people change learned behaviors and attitudes.

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We give away ridiuculous amounts of money every day on TV. How much of that money could toward helping kids or finding a cure for cancer or AIDS or helping people of poverty? It's completely ludacris.

My Mom's a social worker, so she sees crap way worse than that everyday. Imagine children who are beaten and raped but live with something that horrible. It's disgusting. But there are things that we dcan help with. Speak up for a child if you see one being beaten. Call hotlines when you suspect abuse.

It's so sad, but if we help, it might get better.

------------------
Best body type for a man? Chunky style. With extra gravy

[This message has been edited by pink (edited 04-17-2001).]

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NASA did not own nor operate Mir. Mir was brought down by Energia, the Russian Space Agency. If they hadn't brought it down with a controlled re-entry, it could have landed on any one of us. And that WOULD have cost billions.

------------------
The most exciting phrase in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" ("I found it!") but rather "Hmmm... that's funny...."

- Isaac Asimov

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.