Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » what can I expect from a HOTLINE?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what can I expect from a HOTLINE?
Sandy
Neophyte
Member # 244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sandy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really feel the need to call a hotline, but I haven't called yet because I don't know what to expect or what to say! I know its stupid, but it has kept me from calling a loooong time ago, and things are just getting worse. I'll appreciate a lot any info.
Thanks

Posts: 30 | From: Tampa, FL | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starry Night
Activist
Member # 3476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starry Night     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sandy,

Calling a hotline is one thing you should never be afraid to do. Based on the situation that you just need to talk to someone (as opposed to actually committing or on the verge of committing suicide, in which case it would be a different call), here's what most likely will happen.

Usually a real person picks up the phone right away..generally, most hotlines don't have that automated computer "press 1" stuff - you get a real person. They'll tell you a bit about themselves, and ask you about yourself. But, they won't press for any identifying details about yourself if you're not ready to tell them, like your name or where you're from.

Generally, the helper will help you unwind and start to talk about what's bothering you. The length of this call can last anywhere from 5 minutes to several hours - but during that time, and any other time you feel sad or scared, there will be someone on the line waiting to talk things over with you.
Here's a handy dandy link to what to expect when you call a crisis hotline. Hope it helps. http://suicidecrisiscenter.com/whattoexpect.html
Take care, and don't hesitate to make the call that could save a life.

Posts: 164 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can expect someone to listen to you and give you advice... That's about it. Don't expect answers to all your problems or to reveal your deepest darkest secrets. It doesn't happen that way

I've called the Kids Help Phone (only available in Canada, i think) a few times and they're very nice people. They just talked to me about the problems i was having and helped me come to a solution on my own.

Which is really what they're there for huh ... ??

Don't be afraid of it. It's nothing to be scared of. They get hundreds of calls a day and are trained professionals at this stuff ... Give it a try.

------------------
When mom found my diaphram, I told her it was a bathing cap for my cat.
~ Liz Winston

In a Smurf's world ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.