Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Domestic Violence

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Domestic Violence
Candy_Chica
Activist
Member # 154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candy_Chica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In April of 2000, my best friend and her mother were killed by her father. I would truly like to get her story out in the open as much as possible, so that people would realize the severity of Domestic Violence.

The article just came out in the Washington Post on June 8, and you can also read it here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36445-2001Jun7.html

For a more personal site: www.chickpages.com/brainiacs/candy_chic/sonye.html

Please reply if you gave one of them a look.

Posts: 67 | From: El Paso, Texas, United States | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starrykiss
Neophyte
Member # 3948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for starrykiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am so so sorry.
I can barely write this I am shaking so bad.
What happened to sonye was wrong I can't believe that happened Althought I know abuse happens alot but It was more than that And No ONE I MEAN NO ONE should be treated like that.
If you are please TELL SOME ONE!

If I was you I would try to find on who took the 911 call the night she died and ASK HER A FEW QUESTIONS!
If there is any thing I can Do to help Just e-mail me -- edited --

Note: Please remember that it's not safe to give out any personal info about yourself ... including your email address. You agreed to these guidelines (which can be found here ) when you signed up. Thanks
------------------
starrykiss*

[This message has been edited by LilBlueSmurf (edited 06-10-2001).]

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read the story of you friend, too, Candy, and can only express my deepest condolences.

It's beyond sad that no one managed to bring her into a safe situation before this happened. Just shows that if a situation is unbearable, it's best to speak up and get out and ask for help, as difficult as that may seem.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Smurf, did we just edit this at the same time?? Very bizzare. I saw mine up, and then it was gone.

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 06-10-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think a lot of people do understand the severity of it ... My school just held a walk against male violence a while ago. Why it only covered male violence, i have no idea. Point being, we walked in a park around here to raise money for campagining and stuff. I didn't go b/c i had stuff to do at school (it was held during school ... not too smart on their part, i think) but i heard it was a blast.

Maybe if this is still really bothering you, you need someone else to talk to. Like a therapist or something ... Issues like these don't really go away when you're that close to them. And you don't have to do it alone.

------------------
When mom found my diaphram, I told her it was a bathing cap for my cat.
~ Liz Winston

In a Smurf's world ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs* I was literally shaking and near to tears when I read that.

It is just such a waste of two incredible lives.

Unfortunately hon I think you are right. Very few people truly understand how severe domestic violence can be. Alot of people think they can understand it but they don't really. I used to be in an abusive relationship. I have friends who are in potentially abusive and damaging relationships and they refuse to get out of it.

Thank you for sharing my dear. *hugs*

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candy_Chica
Activist
Member # 154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candy_Chica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all very much for your concern. I just found out that Monday Dateline is going to come discuss all of that with me (a little) and her family.

I'd just like to request that anyone who'd like to, just spread that URL around, because I'd really like to spread awareness of her story. The way I'm coping with this is by researching Domestic Violence to work toward an eventual career in family law. I'm also currently working on a year long graduation project in regards to this (not her specifically, but the problem in general).

Again, thank you. I posted this here because I knew that wonderful people that come to these boards.

------------------
Candy
Property of Freud's School of IDiots
No. 6785-4398-3655

Posts: 67 | From: El Paso, Texas, United States | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's done hon.
http://www.opendiary.com/entryview.asp?authorcode=A375077&entry=10096

*huggles*

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MsShelley
Neophyte
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MsShelley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That truely is a tragic story. I couldn't imagine going through that.
I have a friend/mentor who suffered years of domestic violence some time ago. After hearing her stories, I as well researched Domestic Violence. There are awareness programs out there, I just hope they are doing their job!

------------------
God is my strength, with Him, i will not fail!

Posts: 8 | From: Morehead, Ky, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.