Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » MOMMA

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MOMMA
LOLA0010
Neophyte
Member # 2611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LOLA0010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am having a struggle getting over my mom's death. I am 13 now and she died when I was 8.It scares me to think my 4 year old brother will never remember her voice,her perfume, or anything like that.I guess I just want to know there are other people out there like me. I have a stepmom but she cannot take my mom's place in my life. Is anyone else my age or lost their mom at a young age willing to talk? I really need a boost.
Posts: 12 | From: sc,usa | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ella
Activist
Member # 1168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to move this to Support Groups because I think that it belongs more there and you'll get more responses to it. I hope you don't mind.

Posts: 303 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lola, I myself cannot exactly identify with your situation...but a close friend of mine lost her mother when she was 4. She also has a stepmother now, and is pretty open about talking about it. If there's something particular you'd like to ask, I can relay it to her.

------------------
You should make amends with you if only for better health. But if you really want to live, why not try and Make Yourself?

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend lost her mum when she was 13. At the point of her life when most girls were sitting down with their mums. Gossipping, talking about the birds and bess. She had no one.

It is hard sweetie and I cannot say I understand because I probably never will.

What I suggest is that you talk to your brother about your mum. Bring in all photo albums and even her perfume and show them to him. Talk to him.

Chances are he won't forget her but because she died when he was so young, his memories won't be as vivid as yours. So have regular sisterly chats with him.

*hugs* hon.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry to hear about your mother, Lola. My situation is similar, though far from identical. I effectively lost my mother when I was 13; she was in a car accident that injured her badly and had to go the hospital for 10 or so months to recover. She's not dead (yet anyway; I've heard that she's living on borrowed time), but she may as well be, considering that her accident was essentially the end of my relationship with her (and she's changed in a way that really makes a relationship impossible). Losing her made me stronger and more mature, but sometimes I still wish I had a mother who could act like a mother to me. If you want to talk, you can email me at lynne42@bigfoot.com.
Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~KandyKiss69~
Activist
Member # 3052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~KandyKiss69~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't had an experience like that either... But one of my really good friends lost his Dad when he was 11... He never told anyone how sick his Dad was, and afterwards he pretended to be happy... Now, he talks about his Dad sometimes... Him and his Mom are still a great family!

------------------
Shine, make em wonder whatcha got!-Newsboys
(((Kristine)))

Posts: 66 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Lola. I don't know what you're going through, but my mom's mom (my grandma) died when my mom was 16. My mom really doesn't talk about her... I think it's still a very sensative subject for her. If you want to keep your mom's spirit alive, I would talk about her with your brother. Did she wear a certain perfume that you can remember? Maybe you could assemble a box of all your memories with her. In my experience, I've found that it's better to feel things to their fullest instead of holding everything in.

I'm so sorry that your mom passed away *hugs*. But I hope that your brother, dad, step-mom, and you can have a good family relationship . Take care of yourself... I'll be thinking about you, and I hope you find someone with a similar experience to realte with and talk with.

------------------
Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes, because then you're a mile away, and you've got their shoes!

Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.