Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » shoplifting..what happened??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: shoplifting..what happened??
Nookiebabe16
Activist
Member # 2190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nookiebabe16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I was going to meet up with my old best friend who had recently moved about 2 hours away. We went to meet each other at the mall. At first it seemed like she hadnt changed..old times right? Well she moved to live with her dad who is filthy rich so he can buy her anything. We went into Bath and Body Works after spending all our cash at Contempo and Express. She wanted a body lotion, makeup kit, and a lip gloss, but together they all cost over $30 and she didnt have it. So what did my best friend whom i thought i knew so well do?? she took those items and stuffed them in her purse like it was nothing and walked out of the store unaffected and unashamed. I had put some lotion in my bag too, but on the way out i realized it was wrong and i put it back on the shelf. When i asked her why she did that she simply said, " Well my dad wouldnt give me any more money and I wanted them" then she proceeded to try on the makeup and asked me for my opinion. I wanted to reprimand her or say something but this was so unlike my best friend. She isnt a stealer..thats not her. Shes also started to brag alot. I mean at first i could take it because she moved from a low income house to a very high so at first i can understand her getting all caught up in it. But now it seems no matter what I do she has to out do me. I got a new cell phone cover and she had to go and get a new one..but HERS has a blinking antenna. I got a new watch that cost $850 which i didnt mention to her until she asked. She then proceeded to tell me about the $12,000 watch she got. I mean its like shes always trying to compete with me..when i dont want to! Who cares about how much her watch was? and I feel bad for getting upset but this isnt the friend I once knew. What should I do??
Posts: 58 | From: Massachusetts, U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talk to her, or ignore her. Whatever seems appropriate. I have an extremely low tolerance for people who are that attention-seeking, and willing to get me in trouble (you know what happens if you're with someone who gets caught shop-lifting, right?), so I'd more likely choose the second option, but the first might be more productive. And anyone who tried to outdo me on an item that cost well over what my rent does . . . well, when you're dealing in objects with that sort of value, really, who cares?
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They sell watches for $12,000?! Holy crap. Things are way too expensive.

Kudos for putting back that stuff, it was the right thing to do, and you set an example to your friend. Unfourtunately, it's up to her to follow it or not. Since it really bothers you, try talking to her first. But, I doubt she'll listen, and in that case, just ignore her. Don't go shopping with her anymore, either. If you do, and she steals something, turn her in for it. Maybe she'll get the message then.

------------------
Bad Cats!!

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dad just bought mum a new $16k Omega. yep, they sell watches that pricey. ($16k on a watch and I don't have a car )

back to the subject, Nookiebabe, it soulds like your friend is a spoiled brat. i know the type, 'cause I am one (but I have never stolen anything in my life).

It seems your friend probably feels low about herself. She craves attention. She wants people to notice. She wants to be naughty. And at the base of it, she might very well be jealous of you -- why else would she need to outdo you in every little thing?

Anyway, what your friend needs is
1) structure in her life, a few limits set by parents or law enforcement
2) a way to channel her need for attention into something a little more constructive, like performing arts or volunteer work
3) *you* to talk to her and be a good friend; ask her what's been up lately, since you've noticed she's been acting a li'l unusual.

------------------
Kill your TV! And while you're at it, your mobile phone, too.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know what would probably have happened if your friend had been caught? Chances are they wouldn't have filed charges against you (assuming you'd already put the lotion back at that point), but you both would have spent some long uncomfortable hours in the mall security office and most likely the police station, not to mention dealing with them calling your parents.

Have you talked to your friend about what happened? In your place, I'd probably tell her straight that the whole stealing thing was wrong, not to mention stupid, and that if she ever wants to go shoping with you again she'd better not even consider it.

As for her constantly competing with you, it sounds to me like she's attention-starved. Her dad may have lots of money, but does she have any real friends she can talk to in her new school? Do she and her dad do stuff together like a family or does he just throw money at her?

I agree with Gumdrop...if you want to save your friendship, it's time for a heart-to-heart talk.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I swear nearly the same damn thing happened to me, except my friend didn't move she just started hanging out with different people, and her mom got a new, high paying job. One day we were at one of those accessory stores and I'm watching her try on all these bracelets then put some in her pocket, and leave a few dangling on her arm. I didn't say anything, cus... I didn't really believe what I was seeing.

That was the first time I ever noticed it and I didn't talk to her about it (even though I watched her do it several more times) until one day I was in a local CVS. Of all the stupid things in this world, I see my friend putting breath spray in her bag. Then she proceeded to take some bracelet. She handed one to me, and take it like it was nothing. I refused, and put it back on the shelf. By this point I saw that a man had been watching us. When we started walking out the door he stopped the both of us and told us that what we had been doing was illegal. Even though I'm pretty sure he believed that *I* wasn't the one lifting, I still had to call my parents and explain. NOT FUN.

I never spoke to her after that day. So, if you think your friendship is important enough - talk to her before it happens again!

------------------
"it's like being hit in the head repeatedly with a sock full of quarter's" ~~Daria~~

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$uMMeR
Activist
Member # 2658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for $uMMeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if my best friend started shoplifting...hell, that person wouldnt be my best friend anymore. i dont like people who steal, and im not making any excuses for it.

i just wouldnt be able to trust that person anymore.

------------------
*Read my diary

*Read my page

*And...alwayz :)

Posts: 194 | From: city of Anghelz | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duff
Activist
Member # 2176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all i would like to say that it is my beliefe that there is nothing wrong with shopelifting, as long as it is on the right grounds, which include being from a huge chain store. In fact i am an advocate for it among my peers, exspecially if you don't get caught, all this for political reasons, but yes recently my boyfriend and i were caught shoplifting on seprate occassions, and the worst thing, is that the political movement is backfired, the company then capitalizing on your resistance. the onlything they may do to minors caught shoplifting is call their parents,and a fee will most likely be installed (up to 5 times the damage amount) and you will be made sign a contract agreeing not to enter a store in that chain for a certian amount of time (not preventing you form external damage) and if you are caught accompanying them but not stealing as well, an act of cluelessness is the best way to go.But besides that, you should talk to her about how she treats you, and let her know that life isn't about possesions, or money, if thats what you belive. Tell her you miss your old relationship and what you miss about it.
Posts: 162 | From: NYC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BiRiotGrrl
Neophyte
Member # 3222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BiRiotGrrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
maybe you should try to just not go shopping with her, I mean, if you dont go with her, you arent encouraging it. And the next time she asks you how much those new shoes or that new blouse costs, just casualy say you would rather not discus your finances, or just say you dont remember or it was a gift.
Posts: 6 | From: California, U.S.A | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Duff:
the onlything they may do to minors caught shoplifting is call their parents,and a fee will most likely be installed

Jeeeez Duff, it's people like you who keep people like me in business!

First of all, I understand you live in NYC, but the NY Penal Code is not too far removed from the California Penal Code, which I've based my career upon. Police have several options when dealing with juvenile shoplifters, the very least of which is fining them and remanding them to their parents. Juvenile shoplifters are guilty of a misdemeanor. This means they can be fined, sentenced to a work crew, sent to Juvenile Detention Camp, and/or confined within Juvenile Hall.

Additionally, if a juvenile shoplifter has a prior petty theft (shoplifting) conviction, the next shoplifting episode becomes a felony. This is punishable by a massive fine and JAIL time. That's right, big boy jail. If you wish to break the rules for a political reason, then you should have no problem fighting for your cause behind bars, right?

Also bear in mind that all juveniles who convict crimes are reflecting on their parents. Out here, we routinely cite the parents of juvenile offenders when they commit a crime. Do you think your parents would be willing to foot the bill and/or be placed in a probation program as a result of your foolishness? Do yourself and your parents a favor and do not drag them down with you.

Next, there is the crime of burglary. Burglary is the entering of an occupied structure with the intent to commit a theft, or any other felony. This crime is a felony, and is punishable by a state prison sentence as well as a rather large fine. If it can be proved that you entered your local store intending to steal something, your crime has jumped from a misdemeanor (minor crime) to a felony (serious crime). You are now likely to receive a state prison sentence and time on probation even for your first offense.

Finally, please realize that your "political statement" hurts the rest of us in the long run. While you may find it fashionable to steal things from stores in order to fight against some perceived social injustice, some of us do not share your political opinion and do not care to be victimized by it. You see, when you steal something from a store, that store loses money. In order to maintain their profit, they are then forced to hire store security guards, or install costly security devices in the store. This costs even more money, which they then pass off to the rest of us down-home law-abiding folk as price increases. Is that what you are trying to do with your "political statement?" Make the rest of us pay? I most certainly hope not, and I hope you think twice before trying your luck again.

--Danny

------------------
Remember...absence makes the heart grow fungus.

ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duff
Activist
Member # 2176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BruinDan:
Jeeeez Duff, it's people like you who keep people like me in business!

Finally, please realize that your "political statement" hurts the rest of us in the long run. While you may find it fashionable to steal things from stores in order to fight against some perceived social injustice, some of us do not share your political opinion and do not care to be victimized by it. Is that what you are trying to do with your "political statement?" Make the rest of us pay? I most certainly hope not, and I hope you think twice before trying your luck again.

--Danny

First of all i have been caught shoplifting, and my parents had to take the responsibility, and yeah i think that was okay, they brought me into this world, and untill i have my own kids, they have to deal with whatever i dish, or lose me. Either way the whole situation of my Parents taking responsibility for my actions is juat another manifestation of the frightiningly capitilistic society and government we live under.
Speaking of political beliefes infringeing on those who chose not to live underthem, HELLO! i was born into agreement with this government and society, the signiture is in my social security number. I am forced to comply with i contract i never really agreed to and your telling me about political beliefes. hmpf!
Besides, the big organizations that i incourage resistance to have pleanty of cash, and don't need the security, because they own us, and they don't need to take any more from us to increase their gain. Supporting them isn't helping you the least.
In conclusion, i'd just like to say that i hope you really don't think your political statements and actions don't victimize any of us, because they do, and i am a witness.

and yes i wouldn't mind fighting for my politics, but why should i be punished for them? are you punished for you religion, or your compliance, or any of your beliefes? why should i be?

------------------
Ask away....

[This message has been edited by Duff (edited 04-02-2001).]

Posts: 162 | From: NYC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all i have been caught shoplifting, and my parents had to take the responsibility, and yeah i think that was okay, they brought me into this world, and untill i have my own kids, they have to deal with whatever i dish, or lose me.

Okay, so maybe you thought it was alright. But how did your parents feel about it? Do you really think its appropriate to trap your parents in the same illegal activity that you are involving yourself in?

Either way the whole situation of my Parents taking responsibility for my actions is juat another manifestation of the frightiningly capitilistic society and government we live under.

I'm sorry, I don't understand how parental responsibility is in any way connected with Capitalism. Could you explain?

Besides, the big organizations that i incourage resistance to have pleanty of cash, and don't need the security, because they own us, and they don't need to take any more from us to increase their gain.

If you feel that way, then please realize that stealing from them only makes things worse for the rest of us. Businesses lose incredible amounts of money due to theft, and then try to recoup that money through price increases. This leads to all of us paying MORE to the corporations, which only helps them more. So by stealing from them in a misguided attempt to make a social statement, you are actually helping the large corporations you so despise.

and yes i wouldn't mind fighting for my politics, but why should i be punished for them? are you punished for you religion, or your compliance, or any of your beliefes? why should i be?

Because in this country there is a difference between Constitutionally protected expression and illegal activity. Praying in a church is lawful, stealing the altar is not. Picketing in front of large corporations is legal, shoplifting their goods is not. Telling Bill Gates he stinks is protected, punching him in the nose is not. It's all in the way you do it, Duff. Like many things, there is a right and a wrong way to stand up for your beliefs. Do it the legal way and you will be able to successfully make your statement without spending time in prison, or paying fines to support the government you dislike.

You have several valid points, please feel free to ICQ me to continue this discussion.

--Danny

------------------

ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Duff,
I'm sure your parents didn't deliberately give birth to you in a country where there are laws about things like stealing just to make certain that you'd be opressed by big business as soon as you were old enough to realize it. You know, it takes quite a man to steal something when he isn't required to face the penalty for his actions. I don't know how old you are, but I certainly hope that when you grow up you realize that this is an extremely immature thing that you're doing. Two wrongs do not make a right, and if you've got a problem with laws that say you can't take something that doesn't belong to you...well then maybe you need to move someplace with different laws or make your political statments in mature ways.

If you honestly think that pranks like shoplifting are going to get laws changed, well then I hate to be the one to tell you, but you're wrong. I mean, hey if we're gonna make stealing legal, why not just make murder and rape legal too? I feel very opressed by the fact that I'm not allowed to go out and murder somebody just because I've got a social security number (completely not serious!)...so maybe if I do it anyway, and call it my form of political protest...people will be so impressed that they'll change the laws. Yeah, we'll go back to the policy of 'pillage, plunder, and destroy'. Sounds great doesn't it? Yeah, right.

Wake up and smell the coffee...it's a big bad world out there, and if you continue to refuse to play by the rules, then you're undoubtedly going to end up in a place you don't want to be.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"Am I nervous? Am I scared? Is it worth it? Should I even care? ...Man I like this guy, I really like him alot!"
~Pam Tillis, 'Please'

~*~4 days till M-day~*~

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And here's a more radical argument (just for fun)... Duff, are you stealing for survival? Are you living on the streets (intentionally counts)? 'Cause if you're not, maybe you shouldn't make things worse for people who are. Which is to say, you get caught, the companies crack down, and some poor kids who are *really* living outside the rules are the ones who have to pay for it. (Some here might argue that this would be a good thing, but I'm gonna take a wager that you're not one of them.)

Think about it.

Also think about supporting good systems. Giving a little liquid cash to that teenager-owned anarchist bookstore, the downtown Amish market, the newsletter run on marxist principles, the warehouse that was converted into an art museum, the worker-owned sex toys shop, the reader written homesteading magazine... that stuff is going to do a lot more to bring down Wal-Mart than stealing some crappy electronics from them or whatever. At this point in history, the biggest statement you can make about the system is to just *walk away*. Walk away and go someplace better, and if there's nowhere better to go, make someplace. I cannot emphasize this enough. Take it from someone who left school at the age of 10.

Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*bows* Eclipse, that was a damn good point.
Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ningrrl
Activist
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ningrrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, what is happening to the world. All I can say, is that people change; it can be for the good as well as the bad. (Obviously.) Putting it back WAS the right thing to do. I know what it feels like to have a friend who tries to compete all the time, too. If I say something about a guy talking to me, she will magically say something about one talking to her. (And it may be a juicier thing he said to her or it can even be the same guy!) If I say I got something, surprise, surprise: she has it too, only better.

------------------

shedding skin sucumb defeat
this machine is obsolete

Posts: 124 | From: Lucasville, OH, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duff
Activist
Member # 2176

First of all, parental responsibility is very capitalistic, it's a way to unsure that someone will get payed no matter what happens, with anyone whatever the age.
And yes, i do think it's okay to do whatever you want, and forget about how it will effect your parents. Becuase you should do what makes you feel good, and not worry about what anyone else thinks.

if everyone stole, there would be no price increases to worry about, and if the security was increased, in order to have stealing become an impossible act then no one should shop there. BTW no matter what they spend money on it's still going to someone, so an assitant manager might lose her job, but a secruity agent will gain one/ whos job is more important?

and yes there is a difference bettween constitutionally valid expression and not, but that difference is the same as copmpliant expression and revolutionary expression.

And to you kitten goddess thank you for the words of incouragement, you sound like someone trying to convince me that a shouldn't be having sex or something. But yes i see that it is hard for you to understand my thoughts, and thats fine, but i don't agree with the rule's and i don't want to play by them, and it makes me very sad that people get so angry when others live by their own rules.

Eclipse- No i am not stealing for survival, and not i do not support magizines and stuff like that, i think in ways they are inaffective and come across with the wrong ideas. As for supporting homeless and needy kids, i live in New York City, and i see plenty of kids who do live on the streets, and i do help them out, a lot, i buy them food and clothing and help them find a place to stay *if they're intrested* and yes walking away is effective, but where are you gonna go?? where is there to just go with out being prosecuted? or attacked? or just plain unhappy? you tell me how to do that and i'm out.

anyway that is my beliefe and yes i think in a small number shoplifting isn't the best way to get anything done, but with a following it can work wonders, yes, yes, i wait for the day.

BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

First of all, I don't know where you come off thinking that you are participating in some sort of "revolutionary expression." Nope Duff, all you are doing is being a felon. There is nothing revolutionary about putting things in your pocket and walking out the door. It's not hip, it's not revolutionary, and it's not making any social statement at all. What it is doing is telling people that you are the kind of person who can't follow simple rules of behavior.

And no, it isn't fair to push your ridiculous beliefs onto your parents vicariously by causing them to pay for your misdeeds. It's a very selfish thing to do, and has nothing to do with capitalism. The fact is that in this country we are considered minors until we are 18 years old. If you really feel like stealing, you shouldn't be hiding behind your parents, which is what you are doing. It's a very cowardly thing to put it all on your parents, which is all you are doing every time you commit a crime while underage. IF you think you're bold, then wait until you're an adult and there are no parents to hide behind.

Your notion that "if everyone stole, there would be no price increases to worry about" is completely ludicrous. In fact, if everyone stole we'd have nothing but price increases across the board. And that would just cause further difficulty for folks like us who play by the rules and actually have to *pay* for things to survive. Do us all a favor and stop causing problems.

Furthermore, your idea that "with a following shoplifting can work wonders" is ridiculous because there are people like myself who go to work every day ensuring that you never have a following. I would like nothing more than for you to try your little shoplifting "statement" out here, Duff.

Regardless of what you think, KittenGoddess is absolutely right. If you don't wake up, you'll most certainly be in a place you don't want to be. That place is called prison. And at the rate you're going, you're setting yourself up for a long time there. Many states have "Three-strikes" laws these days. Right or wrong, these laws dictate that anyone who commits 3 felonies receives life imprisonment upon commission of the third one. Duff, it isn't going to take you long to get there. If you go into a store and steal more than $400 in value, you've already committed two felonies (burglary and grand theft). It is even possible to commit all 3 at the same time! Do you feel like spending the rest of your life in prison? I certainly hope not...I am told it is a dreadful place to be.

Finally, I think it's about time you should stop feeling like it's okay to do whatever you want. This is an unrealistic view. If we were all free to do absolutely whatever we wanted to do, then the security guard who caught you shoplifting last time could have potentially killed you. Why? Because he "felt like it." Do you see how horrible that is? Like it or not, we all have rules to play by, and that is what makes us a society. Sure, our society isn't perfect, but it would be a whole lot better if people like yourself could respect a few basic rules of civility and try to make social statements in a constructive, rather than a destructive fashion. If you find that impossible to do, then please find someplace else to live.

--Danny

------------------

ICQ# 3953848

Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a million places to go without being prosecuted or unhappy. You just have to ask yourself what kind of world you want to live in. A lot of people 'go someplace else.' Robin Lee Graham built a sailboat and took it around the world, lived in it for four years. People join communes. People get some land and build cob houses beyond the sidewalks. People go homeless for a couple years. People take cross-continental bike trips. Why don't you support "magazines and things like that"? Is there really nothing out there you'd rather involve yourself in than wal-mart? Is there anything you're for and not against?

In the mean time, try and get your hands on some Daniel Quinn. "Story of B" or "Beyond Civilization."

Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duff
Activist
Member # 2176

I think what the problem her really, is that people don't think that yu should be allowed to do whatever you want to. and i strongly dissagree. yes they could've killed me. but hey. i won't care when i'm dead...

anyway i think it's all good, and yes i do think, if everyone stole it would be great, because price increases wouyld mean **** , because no one was paying for anything anyway.

other then that, yes i do think certain thingsa are effective. and certian aren't but in general most excepted approachs are futile.

BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

I think what the problem her really, is that people don't think that yu should be allowed to do whatever you want to. and i strongly dissagree. yes they could've killed me. but hey. i won't care when i'm dead...

Well, you're right. Therein lies your problem. This view that everyone should be allowed to do whatever they want is not only ludicrous, it's downright impossible to maintain. There has so be some rule set forth, or else we will all sink into a "Lord of the Flies" sort of mentality. Civilized nations all have restrictions set forth which prohibit certain types of behavior. This is done specifically to protect people from the sort of every-person-for-themselves anarchy which would erupt if we were all allowed to do what we pleased.

And as for not minding when you are dead, I certainly hope you are just saying that for effect. As someone who watched his own mother die, I can tell you that death is not fun, pretty, or the least bit desirable. In fact, it is often a slow and degenerative process where the body shuts down little by little, leaving the victim in extreme pain. I do not think this is what you want.

It all sounds to me like your viewpoints are based on an immature perception of the world around you. I highly suggest you stay on the straight and narrow path for now until you have done a more thorough investigation of the ramifications of your actions. Find out what shoplifting (on a small and large scale) does to the economy and to other people. Find out what anarchy would mean for any country. Find out what death really means for somebody. Once you have done all this, you will be more prepared to make a mature and rational decision which will hopefully benefit you in the long run.

--Danny

------------------
Stupid is forever, but ignorance is curable.

ICQ# 3953848

Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Duff, I honestly find your statement that "I think what the problem her really, is that people don't think that yu should be allowed to do whatever you want to" very very replusive.

We do not all agree with many laws and rulings but I fail to see what kind of world you honestly want to live in.

Where men could rape your little sister, best friend, mother in broad daylight and get away with it? Where men and women could kill and injure whomever they wished? Where everybody could walk in and steal what they like, with no regards for the impact it might have on the business and economy?

If that is the kind of world you want to live in, I thank god you aren't in control of laws and regulations.

You lack respect for authority girl. Yes, not all authority has to be respected but by doing what you want to do, it is incredibly selfish and imatured. You do not respect the people who get paid manufacturing the products, the people responsible for distributing the products, the security guard who's job depends on him looking out for people who shoplift. And no respect for your parents who work hard to give you a good life only to have to squander their money paying fines for you if and when you get caught and having to feel that they haven't provided you with enought which is why you steal.

You have no respect for anyone. And that bothers me alot. Chances are you are not going to care about how I feel but I think you haven't opened your eyes to what is really going on in the world. You make thoughtless and silly statements which repluse and upset other people. I think you should really reflect upon what you are doing. Because judging from your posts, I don't think you really do.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing Duff. When you registered at Scarleteen, you agreed not to post knowingly about any illegal activity.

quote:
You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this board to post any material which is knowingly false or defamatory, deliberately inaccurate, abusive, hateful, harassing, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you.

So I would have to ask that you stop posting about your shoplifting and you should only post in this thread should you have anything to contribute to the orginal discussion.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duff
Activist
Member # 2176

Well this discussion was started with someone talking about they're participation in a friends shoplifting, and i was contributing to it, and i think that this discussion of the validity of shoplifting would help me decide how to deal with my friend. there is a lot of usefull information here. There is much talk of illegal activity, such as drug use and stagitory rape. So why am i getting attention for stating my beliefes on the issue initially presented by the person who started the thread? (maybe because the contract agreed to is used to regulate discussion that isn't supported by the "advocate" users on this board?)

And danny you know how it feels to have lost someone, but you don't know how it is to be dead, nore do you know how it feels to die. I'm sorry you had to go through that with your mom, but hey, i bet she doesn't care anymore, where, when, and whatever she is.

as far as my respect for my perents, i have pleantly of respect for them, as they do for me, and how i treat them is so much better then how the people i stole from treated her.As far as respect for those who make the products we consume,our existance as americans is theift towards them, it really makes no difference what the company they slave for makes, they are still going to get the least possible wage. and worst possible working conditions

off i go, to where the sunshines on my shoulders
and i don't need to wear sunblock

[This message has been edited by Duff (edited 04-11-2001).]

emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
um, excuse me? duff? the "advocate users" you refer to are volunteers who are here to keep the peace and to make sure the other users follow the guidelines - and, as noted, it is against the guidelines to talk about illegal activity in a way that could incriminate anyone.

shoplifting is illegal, yes? i am not asking for commentary on whether it is right or not. it is against the law.

so really, i fail to see how asking you to follow some very simple guidelines - and trust me, we make the same request to many other people besides yourself - means that we are "against you." it just means that you didn't follow the guideline.

em

------------------
Tout est au mieux dans la meilleure des mondes possibles

Everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.
-Voltaire

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um?

This is support groups. Could we all be a little more supportive?

Thanks.

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allicat1
Neophyte
Member # 3292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allicat1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wake up call Duff. how old are you? do you really want to spend a large portion of your future in jail over a trival thing like a bottle of nail polish. If you think what you are doing will change the laws in your favor, you are sorely mistaking. If anything the penelties for breaking the laws will become harsher as a deteriant (sp?) If you want to change things the best way to do it is leagaly. If when you turn 18 and sill don't like the way things are being done, go somewhere else. where you go you'll probably find laws against stealing. The laws are in place for a reason. try obeying them, your life may be a little easier.
Posts: 10 | From: US | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.