Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Group therapy ... Yes, no, maybe?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Group therapy ... Yes, no, maybe?
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was having my bimonthly session w/ my social worker today and she suggested that I join a group of other girls my age that she's trying to get together for group therapy. I did this in the hospital ... and I hated it. I didn't know anyone and I was the youngest there by a good 10 years or so.

But this could be different ... These girls are all my age, even one of them is just 15 days older than me. I've never been in the sort of setting before. With people my age that are dealing w/ the same things i am ...

Has anyone here benefited from group therapy? Was there a reason? Would you suggest it to other people (say ... me, for example! lol)?? Why or why not?

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been involved in both individual and group therapy, and I've been in my current therapy group for almost a year.

I find group therapy helpful because it gives me a chance to work on my problems, to see other people working through similar situations, and to get support and reassurance.

One of the hardest things about many of the issues that I've been working on has been the isolation or the feeling that I'm the only one in the world who could possibly feel that way. Knowing that there are other people who feel that way, and who are working on the same issues has been really helpful. Sometimes people working on an issue that I'm working on will also sometimes demonstrate thought patterns or behavior patterns that I engage in without realizing it, or people will call me on behavior patterns that are similar to theirs.

However, group therapy does require a lot of trust in yourself and the other participants, a willingness to listen, a willingness to commit to the group's rules, and a faith in the process even if the day to day product isn't what you want.

I would try it and see if it's for you, since therapies are definitely a place where individual experience varies widely.

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LilSmurfy, I also see my social worker bimonthly, and she suggested group therapy forme. She said that she's trying to get a group together, and she wants me to be in it. I said yes, because I think it would be a good experience. I'm still not all that sure about it, though. And thanks, Erin, for telling us what it's like for you It sounds great. I really think I would benefit from a group of people my age... Just to know that I'm not alone. Anyway, if my social worker ever gets it started, I'll have to tell you what it's like
Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd definitely try it out. You've got nothing to lose and if you don't like it you don't have to do it, right? It's an interesting idea to talk with people your age who are going through the same things as you. I know that whenever I meet someone who suffered with anxiety I am very interested to talk to them about it. (Even Online) It kinda makes it really snap into your head that you're not alone... and you just might learn a thing or two. I don't think the place I go has anything like that but I'm gunna check it out now that you mentioned it-- I would like to try something like that. And- hey, you might meet some cool people too!

------------------
You should make amends with you if only for better health. But if you really want to live, why not try and Make Yourself?

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I'd do too good in group therapy. I have trouble telling my problems to one person, let alone a bunch of them. As niave and stupid as it may sound, I wouldn't be able to trust them, I'd be too afraid they'd tell someone else what I said. I doubt they would, they have their own problems to deal with. But, with me, ya never know.....

If you don't have trouble with speaking to a big group, it sounds like a good idea. If you try it, come back and tell us how it went.

------------------
Bad Cats!!

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had group thereapy once with some people from school. We were having problems and the guidance counselor suggested it. Actually, I think we all benefitted from it- it solved our problem and we got the chance to express how we feel and discuss what we were going through. It made me feel good to hear other people talk about the same problems I was going through. I would certainly recomend it, but it's definately not for everybody. You should at least give it a try- if you don't like it, then just don't continue it.

------------------
*^Lucky^*
Come check out what's goin on in Lucky's mind!
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when I was little, my family had to go to group therapy for AAA. I didn't like it at all. I would always at them. But that was then this is now. I wouldn't mind going to one. It's nice to know someone is feeling the same thing as you. Someone who understands.

------------------
To be a princess is to be an actress, but not necessarily a good one.

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarryRedhead
Activist
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarryRedhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should definitely try it.

After my miscarriage I fell into depression and my school counselor suggested I join some sort of support group to talk to other people going through the same thing. I was very hesitant about it since I was so used to people treating what happened in such a cold way, but I decided to give it a try and I am *so* glad I did. I think just knowing I wasn't alone was enough, but I also had people I could talk to about feelings that no one else seemed to care about. And it helped me to be more open to other people about what happened.

I think the good thing about group support is it's not people saying, "get over yourself/it/etc, stop being sad (or being so sensitive about whatever problem you have)" Instead, it's a group that helps you deal with your problems, not forget them or block them out. You can talk about whatever you want knowing those people understand how you're feeling. So I would definitely recommend going, see how you like it.

------------------
}{*Starry Ali*}{
"You just close your eyes slowly like you're waiting for a kiss, and hope some lowly little power will pull you out of this..."

Posts: 367 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.