Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » I wasRecently diagnosed with....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I wasRecently diagnosed with....
knm02
Neophyte
Member # 1828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knm02     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was recently diagnosed with hpv. i am very scared and am quite shocked. my boyfriend has it to but it was undetected, so he didnt know he had it when he gave it to me. i am scared and feel iam a failure. iam very depressed over this. i dont know what to do, i cannot tell family. Where can i get confidential treatment??Also, is a cure being found?? please respond, iam very sad
Posts: 10 | From: stone mountain ,ga | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chin up, okay? HPV is incredibly common. It happens.

If you were diagnosed with HPV, you should be able to get any warts treated at the same place you were diagnosed, and aside of informing your parents, any doctor care in this country IS confidential. Aside of removing visible warts, there isn't any other treatment. There also is not a cure, and until there isn't, HPV will remain in your body and can be contagious.

So, if you were never vigilant about safer sex before, now is a very good time to start. Use condoms and dental damns (or saran wrap) for vaginal, anal and oral sex from here on in. While these things don't offer complete protection against transmitting or re-infection, they do offer a great deal of it.

And now that you have HPV, it is VERY important that you find a good clinic or gynecologist you can see every year for an exam -- because HPV can become cervical cancer, getting a yearly PAP smear is of great importance.

If it's any comfort, I had once incident of HPV in 1989. I have never gotten a single wart again, and HPVt has yet to reappear in tests or cause any health complications for me or any of my partners, though I always HAVE practiced safer sex, which again, is important.

We have a full file on HPV you can look at here so that you have the information you need: http://www.scarleteen.com/infection/hpv_2.html

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh sweetie, you nearly scared the hell out of me.

Listen to everything Miz S said.

First things first, you and your bf should get yourself to a good clinic or gynae and get yourself checked out.

And from now on, condoms will be your best friend. You shall use Mr Condom every time there is any sexual activity going on. Oral, Manual, Dry sex, penis-in-vagina intercourse. And of course, dental dams if he is performing oral sex on you.

DOn't freak out hon. And you are not a failure. Just remember your best friend from now on. Who is He? Mr Condom. And oh yes, Miz Lube will come in handy too.

Relax sweetie.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and your third best friend will be Dr.Pap Smear. Don't worry about those, they are not even half as bad as everyone says. After the first one, it's all easy. I promise.

Maybe you want to ask your health care provider about the different HPV tests (I had one done inside my cervix, just to make sure) and about Paps. You'll need them regularly from now on.

And don't feel like you failed...HPV is very common, and if you keep getting yourself checked, and keep performing Safer Sex, there is nothing to be depressed about.

Keep your head up, girly.

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.
Go inside Alaska's head...

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knm02
Neophyte
Member # 1828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knm02     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the information. i heard i have the kind that causes just mild dysplastia. and what is a cycloscopy?? does it hurt. my doc says tell will remove any abnormal cells that appear each year. When they remove the tissue for a biopsy, does it hurt?? also my doc says it is extremely uncommon to develop cervical cancer if you have mild dysphastia.so i am trying to be more happy and thank god i didnt get anything worse , my boyfriend is being very supportive of me. thanks to all of you for the support.
Posts: 10 | From: stone mountain ,ga | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Knm Hon, you have posted this in Ask A Sexpert and your question has been answered.

When you agreed to the guidelines before joining the boards, you agreed not to double-post.

So in the future, just post in the forum most suitable for your question. You will get an answer, I promise.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please don't double-post. We just answered this question in "Ask A Sexpert."

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.