Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » They Kiled Napster!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: They Kiled Napster!
karina582
Neophyte
Member # 2181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karina582     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I don't even know if Miz Scarlet is going to let me post this...) I'm sorry, this makes me so sad ...but the big people upstairs killed Napster. It was all politics, never had it crossed the mind of those big people that Naspter was about the celebration of music genre. Well, I'm writing to Congress about my opinion about the ruling, and I have specific remarks of why I am angry cause of the lost of Napster. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

------------------

quote:
"Mistakes are lessons of wisdom"-Mariott Hotel Freeway Sign

Posts: 38 | From: Irvine, CA USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think that the shutting down of napster is complete crap. People shouldn't be complaining that it violates copyright laws. I download music from napster, but it doesn't stop me from buying the c.d.s from the artists. I wish I had a better arguement about this, but all I have to say is that I strongly disagree with the decision.

------------------
*^Lucky^*
Come check out what's goin on in Lucky's mind!
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XxFIFxX
Activist
Member # 2109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XxFIFxX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Metallica and those who complained had a point-- it can hurt music stars who are just starting their career. People like my b/f will sit there, download the whole album because it's easier to do that then go out and buy it. As someone who has dreams of being a music star one day, I can totally understand it. The only thing is... look at who's complaining. Metallica, one of the biggest music groups out there. What are they complaining about? They're already millionares. But yes, I can see both sides of it. I don't think it should be closed, but I don't think someone should download the album and not purchase it.

------------------
*I wish I didn't care, but I do*

Posts: 62 | From: Los Angeles, CA USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a bunch of BS too! The only ones complaining are money hungry artist*cough*Lars*cough*dr.dre*cough...must have something in my thoart

------------------
Last night I felt, that you kissed me different
And I remained, without knowing what to do
I know you and I know
that something isn't right, come tell me the truth I don't want to imagine that it was the last kiss

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karina582
Neophyte
Member # 2181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karina582     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in reply to metallica-the reason why they're complaining (so i've heard) is cause they're all in their late 40s and they think that they need every lil CD sell. And if Napster allow the trading of their music, then their CD sales will decrease. Basically, they're afraid that they will soon be way too old to continue their music exploration, so they're trying to gain as much as they can while they can. Bummer huh? Yah honestly, I thought it was metallica that totally started the whole napster issue. Napster would not have been on the spot without metallica. GRRRR. Anger building up...time to write another letter to congress and a mean mean mean letter to metallica.

------------------

quote:

Posts: 38 | From: Irvine, CA USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stgrangely enough, Napster's been the only thing that's compelled me to buy CDs in the last year, and it's exposed me to a lot of music I wouldn't have even known of otherwise. Shortsighted idiots.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody has mentioned that what Napster has been doing is totally illegal, no matter what you might think about it.

The courts in Canada, Britain and the United States have ruled that it is OK to copy music, books, art, etc for personal private use. But when Napster goes out and makes a profit by selling its product, that is in clear violation of the law. Napster itself recognised this which is why they sought an alliance with Bertelsman (BMG).

What about the artists? Are they not supposed to benefit from the sale of their creations? That is what copyright is all about. The performing rights organizations (ASCAP, BMI, etc.) were formed to protect the artists and protect them they will.

------------------
"A free society is a place where it's safe to be unpopular."

- Adlai Stevenson

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious, how exactly does Napster profit from their software?
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know why it couldnt have stayed open, I liked it. People enjoyed it, so really no problem.

And the guy who was behind it was a cutie....shhhh, dont tell my boyfriend! (heheh) J.K

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Its the best feeling in the world to know that somebody loves you more then anything in the world! *~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want Napster to go, but I still find it very exciting to follow the news about it. I like that the younger population of people feels strongly about something like this and that they are fighting for it.

------------------
"No day is so bad it can't be fixed with a nap."
--Carrie Snow

"A mistake is simply another way of doing things."
--Katharine Graham

The best website ever: www.evilrobots.com (I am related to the founder!)

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Short-sighted idiots? Yup.

I'd love to look inside a record company boardroom when those fools learn about peer-to-peer networking.

And no, I've never used Napster. I just like the idea of finally getting even with the guys who have reduced music to become a Britney Aguilera manufacturing system.

------------------
Sometimes I ask myself: "Self, what's life all about?"
But I never reply. I'm rude like that.

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Milke on this.

I have never bought so many CDs in my life before Napster.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

If you think Napster isn't making money on this, visit here:
http://www.napster.com/company/

Who is paying for all this high priced help? Napster is not a philanthropic foundation.

------------------

- Adlai Stevenson

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's all quite interesting, really.

Ultimately, if big fat money weren't being made by swindling someone else (the labels), essentially, I'd be in total support of it. Then again, the major labels are huge swindlers themselves, who swindle the artisis (when the people they have signed even ARE artists, and not just eye candy), so....it's a tough call.

But, like radio, something like this is could be major tool for indies and smaller artisis to get recognition without selling their souls to the devil (the major labels), and that's highly valuable.

Bear in mind too, that some artists, like the deceased Woddy Guthrie, and like Pete Seeger, were always of the mind that they didn't WANT proprietary rights over music, to the point of filing their pieces as public domain from the get-go. It's all a tough call, but the truth is that millions in venture capital muddies the whole thing. Food for thought.

And I like to see young folks get active about near unto anything, though in my heart of hearts I'd be lying if I didn't say that I wish they'd be just as active or infuriated about certain human rights or social issues as about something like this.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karina582
Neophyte
Member # 2181

In response Bobolink,yes it is understood that what Napster is doing is VERY illegal, but you know what-I seriously think it is ILLEGAL of the music industry to charge us 18 bucks for a CD of ONE artist. Not only that, most of the time when I buy CDs, I only like ONE song from that artist, but I am forced to buy the whole thing. And usually, the rest of the songs on the CD arn't that good. So I've wasted 18 bucks. To add on, most people usually listen to MANY different artists. So imagine if I was to listen to two artists-that would be 36 bucks spent. What a rip off! So yah it's illegal, but you know what....it's illegal of the record companies to rip us off.
In reply to where do Napster's fundings go...i think that 15 million not only goes into its 50 employees, but also to those high priced lawyers and the whole court case ordeal. I figured because Napster had been dragged to court so many times that it would be bankrupted right about now. (That's what happened to Scour, a website somewhat like Napster, but allows you to exchange movies.)It's all politics...

[This message has been edited by karina582 (edited 02-15-2001).]

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

pfft. i've been trading mp3s since the format came out back when i was in high school. if you have ICQ, FTP or some other program like that, it's not that hard.

Napster was fun while it lasted, but I can make do just fine without it.

------------------
Kill your TV! And while you're at it, your mobile phone, too.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh..now I know how they make money. Thanks Bobo.

I don't really feel anything about this issue. I'm still buying my CDs. At a rapidly increasing rate and the songs I have downloaded are basically the same ones I have in my CDs.

I probably wouldn't understand it unless I was Metallica.

As Gumdrop said, I won't die without it. After all, the listening booths at HMV are there for a reason.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Some industry reesponse to the Napster decision:
http://www.crn.com/components/Nl/direct/article.asp?ArticleID=23912

------------------

- Adlai Stevenson

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.