Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Stitches?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stitches?
Rio
Activist
Member # 2072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably going to sound like a really stupid question. How do you know if you need stitches in a cut? Are depth and width a factor? I'm a cutter and I've kinda got a couple of nasty looking day-old gashes in my are and i was just wondering about this.

Thanks,
Rio

Posts: 60 | From: near Indianapolis | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if it looks like it needs stitches, it probably does. you will need to see a doctor. and you will need to throw away your blade and seek help because cutting (need i even say this?) is a very unhealthy and dangerous pasttime.

------------------
Kill your TV! And while you're at it, your mobile phone, too.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gumdrop is right sweetie.

If you have to cut, we advocate that you keep yourself safe but by cutting so deep, you run a higher risk of infection or you might even cut into an artery.

Please consult a doctor hon.

And if you ever feel like cutting, try distracting yourself. Come over here, write in a journal, listen to music, read. Anything. Keep yourself safe dearie.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an addition to what Lin and Gumdrop have said:

If you feel you need to cut, please make sure you get the appropriate after-care, this website has some good info on first aid for self-mutilators.

In addition, I hope you're in good care, sweetie, and that there is someone to whom you can talk to about your self-mutilation.

Why don't you have a look at this Self Help Info for Self-mutilators? Please keep yourself safe.

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.
Go inside Alaska's head...

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 02-13-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, i believe there is a certain time limit that you can get a wound closed w/ stitches. I'm not too sure about that, but when i cut my finger doing dishes one time, my mom told me that if she had been home, she would've taken me to the hospital for stitches. But since your body is already at work trying to close it on it's own, i don't think stitches can do too much.

I am an ex cutter as well. There are so many other alternatives to cutting. Two of the most popular are putting an elastic band around your wrist or holding an ice cube. When you feel the need to cut, you can just pull the elastic band on your wrist a few times ... or grab an ice cube and hold it. Both of these cause pain, but do not cause perminent scars. You may have some bruising from the elastic, but it's way less perminent than red marks and scars!

And please please please get yourself some councelling. Maybe from a guidance councellor or a hospital. If you ever feel in danger you should call the police or 911, where they can take you to a place where you can get help and protect you from the evil razor.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rio
Activist
Member # 2072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But what exactly is looking like it needs stitches, besides being like an inch deep and bleeding non-stop? I'm in counseling and I have been trying to stop, but I've been a cutter for almost for years off and on. I hadn't cut since late Oct. But I needed and wanted it sooo bad I couldn't stand it anymore. I cut. It made everything okay for a while, I fell asleep easily, It gave me something to hold on to and feel. There is nothing like it in the world. I'm told I do this thing called dissociation and thats how I can block pain with my mind. It felt sooo good to just relax and feel okay about everything for a while. I really want to do it again. I used to do it everyday. I was really depressed. I cut less often now like I said I hadn't cut in months. But now that want and need to cut is back w/ fervor. Just to update you I don't think I need stitches, Though if it had been much deeper I probably should have. The hardest part is making up excuses in P.E. class, if they see... It gets hard to make them believe it was your cat or something stupid like that. Also your teacher or guidence counselor has to notify your parents. My parents freak out when they find I've been cutting. But I haven't been caught by school since seventh grade so I'm not very worried about it. But I do have to swim in a couple of weeks. Oh, I want to cut. Everything would be better. I hate this. This i soooo hard. I'm trying to stay distracted. I hope no one mind me rambling. Everything would feel sooo much better if I could cut right now. oh well I really hope this passes soon. Um I have to log off now .

Thanks
Rio

Posts: 60 | From: near Indianapolis | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An inch deep and still bleeding needs stitches, and you may also need a tetanus shot, darlin.'

It's going to be hard to deal with the emotional aspect of this if your body can't heal. I say get to the doctor or ER.

(And no one minds you rambling -- that's what this place is here for, kiddo)

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rio
Activist
Member # 2072

Uh, my cuts aren't that deep or still bleeding...exactly. I was just trying to state an obvious example of what I know would require stitches. My deepest cuts are only about half a cm deep but they are kind of gaping. I'm going to the shrink tommorow and she is a doctor so I will see what she says.:)Though I cut last night, it didn't do much for me and they weren't as deep.

-Rio

alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rio, to me, "0.5 cm deep and gaping" does sound like a cut that needs stitches. Please, it's better to head to the doc/ER and be send home because the wound is too minor then risk a really bad infection in a deep cut.
Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rio
Activist
Member # 2072

I went to the doctor today and she said it was on the borderline of needing stitches or not. She also said that it might have been good to have gotten some, but my body has already started to heal it, so there is no piont in getting it stiched up now. When she saw my arm she seemed kinda worried. She asked me not to cut there if i had to cut. She told me to put Neosporin on it. So to sum this all up I guess everything is copesetic for now.

-Rio

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sweetie you have no idea how hard this is for me to read your posts ... It was only a few months ago that i was in your exact position

But i DID get help and it's been almost a year since i cut myself. I'm very very proud of that fact, b/c i know how hard it is, for me not to cut. I know the pain your feeling and I really want to help you. If you ever need to talk you can find me on icq (my number is in my profile) or email me at kuddleekoala@hotmail.com. And this isn't rambling ... If writing out your emotions will keep you busy and stop you from cutting, then that's all that matters.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rio
Activist
Member # 2072

I know there is nothing anyone here can do, but I just need to see this written for myself. I know its true but writing makes it something I can't deny. I'm falling fast and I can't find the ripcord. It has got to be here somewhere. But I just don't see it. I have fallen many times before and I have learned that you only think the falling hurts until you hit the ground. um i have to leave now to clean.

-Rio

Rio
Activist
Member # 2072

Had to go to the E.R. now everything is a mess. Eek!!! My dad threatens to never let me out of his sight again, literally. My counselor wants me to show my arms to my mother every night. I can't I don't no why but I can't. everybody is trying to make me compromise w/ them but i cant. I am scared to quit cutting. everyone is telling me to "just quit" I have been trying and I cant even w/ help. They are saying I might end up in the hospital and I really don't want to do that. I am the kind of person who needs to be alone sometimes and anyway I look at it I cant be. I going to go craxy if they wont leave me alone and i dont know what to do. Mom had to tell my teacher that i didn't have time to finish my hw. When I got to that claa this morning my teacher was like "so you have a cut. where is it?"
I said that it was on my shoulder i didnt tell that the word cut should be plural. then she followed my statements w/ "so you couldn't write?" upon which i had to tell her that i could write it was just the fact that the E.R. took four hours. she said "oh' in an indifferent voice. This all took place aloud in the middle of the classroom b/c that was where she rather loudly chose to approach me. she did give an extra day to study for the test and to get my hw in. but it angered me how she acted. I basicly had to spew very personal info in the middle of a classroom full of peers. i am expected to show myself w/ my arm unbandaged in a swimsuit for pe tomorrow. Though my counselor is trying to get me out of it via my mother b/c she knows it will make things even worse. All I want is to be left alone. Nothing more. I want to quit cutting but i am really scared and i just havent been able to. oh i hope i dont end up in the hospital. I really really do. Though if that is going to be the outcome i dont know how to aviod it.
hope this wasnt awfully long and rambling.
-Rio

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Alright this is gonna be harsh ... If you don't wanna hear it, stop now.

Still w/ me?

Good.

You lost the right of being left alone when you cut yourself. Remember me? The one who cut almost everyday for 6 months? I know what this is like ... But you can't expect your family and friends to sit by while you dissect yourself. It just ain't gonna happen sweetie ...

I agree w/ your concellor. If you don't cut yourself just for the reason that you're scared silly of your mother, then that's good enough. My mother threatened to kick me out, that's what stopped me. I'm glad things haven't gone that far for you.

You have to swim in PE? No, "you don't have to do anything ... but pay taxes and die". Explain to your teacher that you have some things going on right now that is keeping you from the pool. Tell her your arms are infected. If she asks you to swim anyway, she's not only endangering you, but everyone else in that pool. That's irresponsible and for no good reason other than to "shake her big stick".

As for your big mouth teacher ... go to the principal. That was totally unessecary and uncalled for. You have enough problems as it is w/o having to hide from your teachers and peers. Teachers are supposed to look up to and respect ... if not only for the reason that they hold your grade in their hands. The principal can sort things out for you and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Now i've said my peace ... *hugs* Be strong. You can do this. And you know my icq number if you ever need me, alright sweetie ??

ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ze Smurfy is a cute little monkey.

You could do worse for someone to talk to.

------------------
- Bitter and twisted?

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Hail to the famous blue philosopher.
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm probably going to say what everyone else has because I only read your posts and a few others. First of all let me say that I'm a cutter/self injurer and have been for about 4 or 5 years so I kind of know where you're coming from.

(This is all just what my friends tell me and how I feel about my cutter friends) The reason why everyone is worried and telling you to quit is because they care about you and they don't want you to die or to seriosly hurt yourself. They don't want you to hurt yourself at all. When someone you love is hurting themselves its scary. It's scary becaue they're afraid you'll die and they'll never be able to say all that stuff that we've been meaning to. It's scary because they love you and care about you and they don't know why you have to hurt yourself. And they're sad and angry at ourselves because they don't know how to help you and they feel like they've let you down by not being able to help you. It's horrible to feel so helpless knowing there's not a lot they can do to help you.

It's hard to stop cutting and you have to be so strong to do it. I've tried so many times and I'm still here doing it but I'm still trying every day to stop. I don 't know how you feel, but I feel scared to stop. Like oh no what am I going to do. It's like cutting is my parachute and I feel like I'll just fall into an abyss without it. I know better than that but right now I'm rational. When I'm not rational I feel so helpless against the world and I'm afraid to face the world without being armed with a razor blade. Maybe you feel that too.

The thing is, YOU have to want to get better and YOu have to want to stop. Your friends, your family, your teachers, it doesn't matter how much they want you to stop. What matters is that you want to. It seems like you know it's bad and that's good. You are obviously surrounded by caring people who wnat to help. Don't be afraid to want their help, there is nothing wrong with wanting and getting help. Even Batman needed Robin and the butler dude to help him out, and he was BATMAN. If you can find other ways to take out your anger, and if you can have the support of others and if you can work hard to be strong then you can beat it. And if you're missing a part of that equation go find it. Come and post and rant at Scarleteen all you want because we're not going to judge you or hurt you or anything, we just want to help...

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

This person is a natural product. The slight variations in color and texture enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PS: yeah that teacher obviously doesn't understand privacy or tact. And unfortunatly you'll meet your fair share
Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.