Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » dysphastia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: dysphastia
knm02
Neophyte
Member # 1828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knm02     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have mild dysphastia and i am scared to have it checked out because i dont know what it is, how it is caused, the risks and symptoms. it is hard to find info about it . all i know is that it is caused by abnormal cells in the cervix. anybody know anything about this disorder??
Posts: 10 | From: stone mountain ,ga | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm ... How do you know you have it if you haven't got it checked out? I suggest you do, or you could be worrying yourself over nothing ... or "borrowing trouble"

I personally have never heard of it, and i did a search on it and came up w/ nothing. Is there a spelling error or something ... ??

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This term is unfamiliar to me (as well as to the general manual of Obstetrics and Gynecology from this year).

Dysmeorrhea? Dysgerminoma? Dyspereunia?

And where did you hear of this condition?

As in all things -- regardless -- if you have a sexual health concern, see a gynecologist. One should never be scared to have something looked into. The scary part is not being able to have a health concern looked at at all.

Posts: 67973 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you're talking about dysplasia or basal cell dysplasia of the cervix, honey. Dysplasia basically means that you have some cells that are not of the "ordinary" shape, which can cause some problems with how the tissue forms.

If you think of your cells as building blocks, like alphabet blocks, then normal cells would be cubes. You can stack cubes on top of each other to build things -- in this case, your cervix. In dysplasia, those blocks might be shaped like jellybeans rather than blocks... and jelly beans don't stack so well, right? So things built out of jelly beans might be a lot less stable than things built out of blocks. That's a super-simplified version of what's going on when there are dysplastic cells.

A mild dysplasia can be caused by lots of things -- or it can just happen for no particularly good reason. It isn't a sexually transmitted disease or anything like that. Sometimes, they just *happen*.

The big risk with a dysplasia is that it might possibly turn into cancer somewhere down the road. Not all of them do, and many of them just kinda do their thing and never cause any problems at all. But any cell abnormality is considered something they want to keep an eye on, just in case it changes.

That's basically what you're looking at -- some abnormal cells. Right now, they're not causing any trouble at all, and they may not EVER cause any trouble in any way. But the only way to know for sure is to get your tushie into that doctor's office and let them take a look at you periodically. PAP smears are one way they test for this, another way is by doing a biopsy of the tissue. They may also want to look at you through a special magnifying tool called a colposcope. It's a little uncomfortable but that's about it -- not really painful.

Depending on what type of dysplasia you have and whether it is localized to one area, they might want to do a minor surgical procedure (you don't have to go into the hospital) to remove the abnormal cells, but not always. In some cases, a cervical dysplasia can be due to Human Papilloma Virus, a common sexually transmitted infection, but this is not always the case.

In any case, the person you really need to be asking all your questions of -- how it's caused, the risks, etc. -- is your doctor. They're pretty good at knowing that stuff.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knm02
Neophyte
Member # 1828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knm02     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i would like to say thanks for the information. it has given me less worry. but do things like this just happen?? can it come from sex or what is it caused by and what are the risks.??
Posts: 10 | From: stone mountain ,ga | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I said, sometimes dysplasias just happen. THey can also be caused by viral infections. Some of the kinds of viral infections that can cause them ARE sexually transmitted disease infections. Human Papilloma Virus (a.k.a. the virus that causes genital warts) often causes cervical dysplasia. You may never know what caused it.

The risk, if you leave it untreated and you don't have a doctor looking at it periodically throughout your life, is that since these are abnormal cells, they could potentially turn into cervical or uterine cancer. That does not mean that it WILL turn into cancer, but that there is a possibility. The reason your doctor wants to look at it and keep tabs on what is going on in there is so that IF the cells change any more, and IF it looks like it is maybe turning cancerous, they can nip it in the bud and keep you healthy.

If you do NOT keep tabs on a dysplasia condition, it COULD turn into cancer and you might not know it until it killed you. That would be bad. And it absolutely does not have to happen that way. All it takes is regular preventive care in the form of getting it checked out by a gynecologist.

So get your butt into that gynecologist, pronto, and you'll be just fine. I've been living with cervical/uterine dysplasia for most of my adult life now and I'm just fine. You will be too, if you take care of yourself.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.