Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » I failed my shrink, I failed myself.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I failed my shrink, I failed myself.
Divinity Sickness
Neophyte
Member # 2433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Divinity Sickness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those of you who already do/dont know. I took that job as a phone councellor. I also failed, miserably. I dont have the will power to help people when I cant even help myself.

Listening to people, their problems, their lives triggered feelings in me from memories gone by of my own life and made me feel hurt all over again. Things I never thought would rear its ugly head again.

I cant believe I put myself in a postition of authority when I cant even lead myself. I ****ed up majorly to the extent of nearly costing my life yet again.

This time I was so close, the final cut and everything would have been released, and I would have been no longer. The final cut never came. I nearly killed the person who stopped me and went totally psycho. Earning myself a place in a so called 'respective' mental hospital. Im on leave at the moment, but still concidered a threat to myself and surrounding friends and family members.

I guess this whole post was a way of voicing my hurt.

I just dont know what to do with myself anymore. I was fine with inflicting pain on myself, but others...thats wrong and something that I never wanna experience again.

The only serious and realistic answer I can come up with, is to holiday somewhere, in peace with no one to delay the enivitable and kill myself.

------------------
Psychiatrists say that 1 of 4 people are mentally ill. Check three friends. If they're OK, you're it.

Posts: 16 | From: where nothings sacred | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Divinity, darlin', all I can do is offer you a great big virtual hug and let you know that when something just isn't right for you, it doesn't mean you failed yourself or anyone else.

You know, I know a musician whose work did incredibly well ten to twenty years ago, but who later went bankrupt, ended up homeless, the whole nine yards that had that island idea, and I thought it was a pretty crappy idea.

Still do. Thankfully, he's still here. Thankfully, so are you.

Hang in there -- it will get easier, I promise. I've been there, I made it through, and I've never been that low again.

We're here if you need any little thing.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*big hugs* sweetie.

I am sorry I can do little more than hug you, like Miz S.

But you know what, you didn't fail anybody.

I honestly believe that no one is judging you, your actions and our behaviour.

You tried hon and it took an incredible amount of courage to be so brave, to take the step to help someone.

And in my books, that does not make you a failure.

As Miz S said, it will get better. It will hon. And in the meantime, we are all here for you.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Divinity:

As it is said in science, "There is no such thing as a failed experiment. However, there may be unexpected results."

You tried something as an experiment and got an unexpected result.

Alexander Flemming tried growing bacteria in a petrie dish. Instead, the dish developed mould which killed the bacteria. A failed experiment? Flemming had the perceptivity to ask why had the bacteria been killed? This led to his discovery of penicillin and the pharmacopia of antibiotics.

Similarly, you got a result that you didn't expect and found internal issues that still needed resolution. Had you not done this, those issues may have remained hidden only to resurface at an inopportune time. So while the experience was disappointing you now know that you have some issues to address and your shrink can probably help a lot to resolve them. So you may well come out a winner on this.

------------------
"A free society is a place where it's safe to be unpopular."

- Adlai Stevenson

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You call that a failure? Calm down and think.

Failure is when you never even try to begin with.

Failure is when you give up and kill yourself. You are not that weak.

I respect you because you had the courage to try to help others. It scares me just how rare that is, these days.

------------------
Sometimes I ask myself: "Self, what's life all about?"
But I never reply. I'm rude like that.

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.