Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Frustration.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Frustration.
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can tell even before I write this, that this post is likely to be mostly a vent.

*Sigh*

A basic outline of my situation:
I'm twenty-three, currently living at home, and waiting for a visa so I can see my fiance again. I haven't seen her since 15 June, last year. Forever.

Separated by an entire planet, and yet no distance at all. We talk almost every day - usually for a few hours at a time.

Still, for all the fact that I love her, and I can still hear her and touch her (however intangibly), it aches.

I miss her. I miss touching her, holding her, kissing her. I miss just being able to wake up and think: I'm going to see her today. I especially miss seeing the goofy smile to go with her goofy laugh.

At the same time, I get pressured by my mother. "Are you sure you want to do this?" "Its a big commitment" "I wish you'd just applied for a PhD, instead"
When I told my parents we were engaged, they didn't so much as congratulate me.

She cannot grasp the fact that I love Lauren. I've talked to friends about it and got the standard response - "your mother probably finds it hard to deal with". That's crap.
I don't know why she's doing it - I just know that that's not why, and I can't take it much longer.

I haven't been sleeping properly, haven't had the motivation to do much of anything, really. I'd be a couch potato, but our couch is too uncomfortable. ;p

How am I supposed to deal with this? Doesn't she have half a clue how hard this is for me?

------------------
Seid umschlungen, Millionen!
Diesen Kuss der ganzen Welt!

[This message has been edited by ThisGuy (edited 01-27-2001).]

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, babe. That is a horribly long time. I went through a separation like that (in terms of time and that amount of distance) with my partner in college and it drove me batty.

As far as your mother, often, it's just the test of time with these things. It may be too that she's not real hot on you moving to an entirely different country -- most parents have a hard enough time with their kids just moving out of the house to an apartment in the same city.

And I should note that at 29, when I told my parents I was getting married, their response (for both of them, divergently different people who haven't been together in over 25 years) was "Why?" Of course, in my family, given their experiences, that isn't such an unreasonable response. It was honest, anyway, and after we got past the why, they were happy.

Have you asked you mother what exactly the problem is and told her that this isn't helping you at all?

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can empathize somewhat, too. When I got married, my grandmother's first response was a horrified "Are you pregnant?!?!?"

"No," I replied.

"Well, then what are you getting married for? Everybody knows that the only reason to get married is to give the baby a name!"

I was flabbergasted... this is my sweet old conservative grandmother... who got married at 19 and stayed married until her husband passed away when they were b oth in their 60's. I later realized it was because she didn't like the guy I'd gotten engaged to, but at the time, man, was I stunned.

Hang in there, hon. It's a long way, and a lot of separation to endure... I hope that it all works out wonderfully for you both, mom notwithstanding.

I'm thinking that one of the reasons for her resistance could be that she doesn't feel like she knows your fiancee at all, and that it seems to her like you're mooning over this nearly imaginary person on the other side of the planet. You might wanna see if you can talk to her about that, though there aren't any guarantees about whether or not it'll do much good, of course.

Hang in there!

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh ThisGuy, I can emphatize so much.

Just hang in there, there will be better days.

The distance thing can be horrible, I know. It's unbelievable how much you can actually *miss* all those simply things that people in non-distance relationships have. But it is all managable.

Regarding your mothers reaction to the whole situation, I agree with Hanne - Does she know your fiance? Have you explained to her why you got engaged? Maybe your relationship is just so different from all the plans she had made up in her head (like the PhD) for you that she doesn't know how to react?

My parents were pretty startled when it dawned on them that I have a real, serious relationship over a similar distance like you. Now that they have started to understand that we're serious about this (and that our actions have proven that - I got an internship in Australia last year and worked there, and a few weeks back, my partner and I went on a horribly kitschy national TV love show just to score some free plane tickets), and have met him several times and gotten to know him, they are very supportive of our relationship.

If you ever want to chat and need a cheer up, lets chat on icq. I don't have a cure for LongDistanceRelationshipFrustration™, but if you want, we can vent together.

Alles Liebe
'Laska

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.
Go inside Alaska's head...

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhhhhhh...

I got a letter today from the consulate. My visa interview is in about a fortnight. YAY!

Now I've just got to get my papers all organised, and bone up on my language skills.

PS - meine unterhose welt die Weld beherrschen!

------------------
Seid umschlungen, Millionen!
Diesen Kuss der ganzen Welt!

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if this applies to your family but in many many Asian families, the boys are greatly prized and many mums feel that no girl is good enough for their wonderful son.

And maybe that is what's happening. How well does your mum know your fiancee? Maybe she should spend some alone time with your fiancee before the wedding.

Hope it all works out.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ThisGuy, are you absolutely sure that you want to learn *that* language???

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.
Go inside Alaska's head...

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 02-02-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratumalations, ThisGuy. Hope all goes well at the consulate, and I hope you have a splendid time Stateside with your girly.

Hey Lin, about that whole patriarchy mess -- after I was born, my grandma told my dad to "try again." but i luv my gram anyway, and likewise, she spoils me silly.

------------------
Inspected by Number 26

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey this is off the subject, but Gumdrop Girl, I see you changed you signature...Did you get you really sexy car yet??

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Its the best feeling in the world to know that somebody loves you more then anything in the world! *~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
unless you consider AC Transit bus #51 to be sexy, then no. I'm still bumming rides from whoever I can.

I change my sig ever 200 posts. New sig coming very soon.

------------------
Inspected by Number 26

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Only every 200 posts? Amateur! ;p

------------------
Just another girl...
...With an oversized clitoris.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.