Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Social Workers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Social Workers
HippyChick
Neophyte
Member # 2152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HippyChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omg, I really hope someone can help me, i'm really freaked out about this all... My life has gone really..haywire..lately...and my friends got worried and got hold of my school counselor...he called me in today and talked to me..it was so hard talking about suicide and abuse and stuff..I did a lot of staring at the floor..he said he's going to get me a social worker..unfortunately the only one they can get for me is a family friend. She thinks my life is so great and wonderful and my parents are good and stuff..it's gonna be hard to tell her stuff... But is she allowed to tell my parents anything? If my parents even *know* anything is going on, I will get in sooooo much trouble. Their rule is what goes on in this house stays in this house. HEEEELP!
Posts: 18 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crusher165
Neophyte
Member # 2299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crusher165     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
she is held under law not to tell your parents anything... unless you a give her permission, or it's life threating...
take it from me, who just finished w/ a counsler i know... that's not something u wanna have. tecnically they can't make u go to someone not objective. so e-mail me at bonecrusher999@hotmail.com
if you need more details.. k?
hold on k...

------------------
~i never knew u
but your action effected
my life
but who knew what u'd do?
seeing as...
i never knew you

Posts: 36 | From: i'll tell you when i get there! ;b | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OO! My mom is a social worker. Unless you give her permission, what you say is confidential. Under certain circumstances (suicidal tendencies, for example), your parents will most likely be contacted.

But don't worry-if most social workers are like my Mom, they're really nice!

------------------
Mens' magazines feature pictures of naked women. Womens' magazines feature picture of naked women. This is beacuse the female body is beautiful and delicate, while the male body is lumpy and hairy and should not be seen by the light of day.

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was assigned a social worker after i came out of the hospital ... after my little depression/suicidal incident in April.

My mom and my guidance councellor (who i had been going to a few times a month anyway) made appts for me w/ the school's social worker once a week. I went most of the time, but after a while it got harder and harder for me to talk, once she got close to the "real" problems. I quit going ...

But now i regret it. She was really nice, and before she actually started talking about things that mattered, i liked going to our appts.

Her rules were that she wouldn't tell anyone anything, unless I said to her "Maureen, i want to die" or something along those lines. Then it is illegal for her to hold that information, knowing what kind of state you're in.

Even if she is a family friend ... this is her profession. Don't look at her as your parents' friend, look at her as your social worker. Your diary. Tell her what bothers you, and tell her that you were scared to talk to her b/c she's close to your parents. I'm sure you'll be comfortable w/ her in time ... Just give her a chance!

~ Smurfy

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.