Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » girlfriendless..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: girlfriendless..
BigBuddha
Neophyte
Member # 933

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BigBuddha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some people at my school think that I am gay because I have no girlfriend and I work at a library. Is there anyway to get people to understand that I'm straight and that i don't want a girlfriend right now?
Posts: 14 | From: Indiana | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could try just telling them.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
for starters, is it so bad to be gay? why do people still treat it like some pox? the assumptions they mae about you and the ill connotations they attach to it are what we call heterosexism. in other words, they're somewhat ignorant.

my boyfriend worked in the library. and he is dating a girl (last i checked, i was female -- checking ... yep, still am). the fact that they stereotype bookish people as gay is pretty absurd, imho.

now, you know you know what your orientation is. what business is it of theirs to tell you otherwise? as if you weren't the foremost authority on YOU if you feel so compelled to defend yourself as not-gay still, then just insist that you are not gay. if it still comes up, then ask them why it would be bad to gay anyway?

------------------
Someday, I will have a sexy car...a very...sexy...car!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let them think what they want... it's not like because they assume something you are actually so. Just ignore them. You know who you are and that's all that matters. It is a totally different story if they are harassing you in any way though. Then you must take action. Otherwise and sorry to sound so harsh but-- screw 'em!

------------------
http://beam.to/anode2ryan *My Ryan Page*
"Don't go in the teepee without a condom on your peepee"~Dumb & Dumber

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shygurl
Activist
Member # 1764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shygurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gumdrop Girl:
[B]for starters, is it so bad to be gay?

I think that it is not a good thing for anybody to think you're somethign you're not, especially with sexual preference

Posts: 47 | From: BFE | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HongosKentesh
Neophyte
Member # 2153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HongosKentesh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You simply do not want a girl at the moment?
Man, I wish I could say the same thing, because I'm looking pretty pathetic here, wanting a girlfriend and still not having one, lol!

Posts: 18 | From: Sebastopol (SeaBass!), California | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
shygurl, i think you took my quote out of context. the rest of the post does explain that it's not right to make assumptions about people. but i wanted to start off with asking why people think it's such an insult to be called gay. that's one thing that really makes my skin crawl.

------------------
Someday, I will have a sexy car...a very...sexy...car!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.