Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » pet loss

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pet loss
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, i hope none of you think i'm terribly loopy... but my 3 month old kitten died really suddenly this weekend, and i'm totally distraught over it.

She must've eaten something she shouldn't have... but she got really sick, I shelled out all the money i had (and didn't have) and I wasn't able to save her.

She was so sweet and small, and i really miss her.

my po' little kitty.

------------------
where is fancy bred? In the heart, or in the head?

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am so sorry Nancy. Grief is normal and expected when it comes to any loss. She looks like she was very sweet. What was her name?

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
minx.

I feel kind of silly, though. I know she's just a pet, but I feel like i had this real connection with her. She was like a daughter...

not to mention that i had a horrible weekend anyways. My Grandfather died on Wednesday... and so on top of him dying, i had to deal with the grief of my kitten too... They were both really special to me. I cared about them a lot.

------------------
where is fancy bred? In the heart, or in the head?

[This message has been edited by negative*nancy (edited 24 October 2000).]

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is not silly. You should have seen how devasted I was when I nearlly put my cat Otis to sleep.

It was a few days before Christmas (1998), we were broke and Otis all of sudden became paralyzed from the waist down. He could not use his litter box and could suffer from blood poisoning. We were not able to empty his bladder and he was on an enema to empty his bowels. His quality of life was greatly diminshed. We spent a few hundred dollars and could not affors the 2 thousand dollar test to examine his spine. So we brought him to the vet to euthenize him. The doctor while holding the needle tested for his reflexes and noticed a small one. So we put it off for a week to see if he would improve. He did.

Since then he has had two more episiodes though not as serious as the first one. We think he has benign tumor on his spinal cord that shifts every now and then affecting his lower body.

I have a happy ending in a way because I have extra time until the tumor does seriosuly affect him. So I sympathize with you Nancy. My near loss made me a wreck so your reaction to yours is valid and so normal. I wonder if your reaction may also be affected by the fact that you are a mother to be. You may see life and death a little differently now.

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh, nancy, honey...I'm so sorry...

and don't let anyone tell you that minx was "just a pet," and don't you think that to yourself, either. you know better.

I read a study recently *I'll see if I can dig it up for you* that compared grieving in people who had lost children and who had lost pets...the pets were grieved for more, and the researchers believed it was because you really do spend more close time with your animals...

I am so sorry, again. she (guessing by the name) looked like she was a sweet pretty kitty.

life just sucks sometimes...I'm sorry that you have to miss your kittykins.

~lem

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Hun (((hugs))) I'm so sorry..
I have lost so many pets over the years, I almost feel like I've been cursed.. dogs, cats and horses, they all seem to die on me.

I remember by cat Sodo, who got hit by a car when he was a baby.. the most special wee cat in the world.
I cried for weeks over him, and still do now when I think of him and what happened. When my friend Paul died, I cried for one night and went on with life.

I guess it's the innocence of animals which makes it so hard to deal with..

(((more big hugs)))

entropie

------------------
honeylaser's site

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
omg, don't even think saying u had a connection with your cat sounds weird. I love my baby cat, Muffin with all my heart. He is an indoor cat but sometimes my mom accidently let's him out, and I'll [seriously] cry until I know he's safe at home (i've spent hours looking 4 him when i thought he was outside, but really hiding in a shoebox) He is my darling! He is always sweet to me, listens to my problems, and never makes me upset. I honestly love him..and it's so strange, because, yes he's just a cat, but to me he's much more than that. [ i wish i could put a pic but i have no clue how ]

------------------
http://beam.to/anode2ryan *My Ryan Page*

[This message has been edited by lilnerd (edited 24 October 2000).]

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.