Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Pink = flirty????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pink = flirty????
100mistakesandcounting
Neophyte
Member # 109381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 100mistakesandcounting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is quite interesting but I brought a camera recently and the box says it's flirty pink and it made me wonder..Who associates pink with being flirty? And define flirty anyway? I have pink hearing aids, pretty much the exact same shade..
But really..a camera can't be flirty! It's an object not a person..anybody else have thoughts on this???
Because I find it annoying now hhaha that some people may view me as apparently flirtatious because I have pink hearing aids haha

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally think about this stuff. I think the pink=flirty thing comes from pink being super duper linked to femininity (at least in a lot of western cultures). And, we assume that being flirty is also a very feminine trait, so the one must be signally the other (in my head, a flirty camera, like, winks at you)
Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zeitvogel
Activist
Member # 109023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zeitvogel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I google for "flirty pink" I find it mostly as a make-up color, which makes a bit more sense. And I also find things which are flirty and pink, maybe that's what they mean with the camera [Smile]
Posts: 47 | From: Finland | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
100mistakesandcounting
Neophyte
Member # 109381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 100mistakesandcounting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I so agree with Sam w:)
What do you mean though zietvogel? [Smile] you say you find things that are pink and flirty ..how does a camera come across as flirty? [Smile] [Wink] does it wink seductively at you Ahaha !! [Smile] no but really how do you think an object can be flirty..it mind baffles me hhaha

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazyhorseperson
Activist
Member # 109011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazyhorseperson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might be overall linked to the fact that when people flirt they usually blush...? I don't know, but it seems like the stereotypical 'pink is feminine' bit being used as an advertising technique. I don't see anything wrong with the color pink, but it's not *really* my color - I'll wear it, but only certain shades/if it's decorated with a pattern of some type, because I've got taunts before for dressing 'girly' all of a sudden, because I decided to wear a pink shirt. -___-'
Posts: 48 | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hadn't thought of the pink=blushing connection. That's a good point (in fact, Zeitvogel, I think flirty pink is a make-up color I've seen)
Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zeitvogel
Activist
Member # 109023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zeitvogel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I didn't really mean the camera would be flirty [Smile] Come to think of it, the "flirty and pink" things I saw were all skirts. I guess a skirt can be flirty? I guess if you put it on for a certain someone then an item of clothing can be flirty even if you don't do anything with it.
Posts: 47 | From: Finland | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
100mistakesandcounting
Neophyte
Member # 109381

Couldn't agree more with a lot of these posts [Smile] I think the camera company must hVe just thought flirty pink would have been a nice name and that's all because it's not flirty hahahah [Wink] also, kind of of track but I have pink hearing aids and I winder if anybody here thinks that pink is a immature colour because I'm almost seventeen and my hearing aids are pink , like a light pink and I think that they look pretty and delicate but what do you guys think? [Smile]
crazyhorseperson
Activist
Member # 109011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazyhorseperson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think pink is an immature color. They're your hearing aids, and they're obviously somewhat necessary for your daily life, so people really shouldn't judge you for what color they are! If they fit with you, then they're a good color. (:
Posts: 48 | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, pink is my partner's -- who is a dude in his 40s -- very favorite color.

If he could have a pink camera, he'd have a pink camera. Hell, if he could have a pink LIFE, he would be picking that, too. (Me? Bleh, pink. I'm a green person, all the way. But different strokes!)

Like crazyhorseperson, I don't think colors have anything to do with maturity. We like the colors we like: these are just personal preferences and not about maturity.

But pink is often an assigned color to little girls (even though over 100 years ago, for most of history, it was actually the one most often assigned to infant and young boys, as a geek note), so for sure, there are messages around pink, especially for women, where I get how you might think that way. But I'd dump those messages in the rubbish bin: you get to like what colors you like. And should you, or anyone, find a given color flirty, or putrid or perky or melancholy, you get to do that, too. [Smile]

[ 02-03-2014, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.