Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Moving Beyond Penis-Centered Sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Moving Beyond Penis-Centered Sex
billgour
Neophyte
Member # 95102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for billgour     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I wanted to share my thoughts on the meaning of heterosexual sex. It may be graphic, so be warned. Anyway, in our culture, it seems like penis-in-vagina sex is treated like the only real kind of sex, while other sexual acts are dismissed as foreplay and the like. However, I was thinking this attitude is really just a patriarchal invention that misrepresents the nature of sexuality. In my mind, and I say this as a male, I think cunnilingus should be considered the basic act of sexuality. Many girls/women prefer getting oral sex since it helps them orgasm easier. However, as a male, I actually like cunnilingus more than intercourse since it can last so much longer and be so much more intimate. Other males I have talked to have also told me they far prefer cunnilingus, but are afraid to admit it since they think other guys will mock them for not being manly enough. These guys have told me cunnilingus is better since they don't have to worry so much about keeping an erection, making cunnilingus less stressful. So does anyone else agree with me that cunnilingus should be considered the main act of sex, with intercourse and blow jobs as secondary ones?
Posts: 4 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi billgour,

You are correct that our culture puts undo importance on penis-in-vagina sex. And it does seem to be awfully penis-centered, like most things in our patriarchal society. I don't like the term "foreplay" myself due to the implication that it's not sex, or that it should come before the "real" sex, etc. For many people that will be the only sex they have, and not fore- at all!

Here at Scarleteen we consider all kinds of sex as "real sex" and don't think any one act is better or worse for everyone. People vary so much and we all have different things we like or consider our favorite. Not all women like cunnilingus, or like it the best, or may want it sometimes but not others, etc. Everyone is so different the best thing to do is talk with partners about what they like. If you and your sex partner think cunnilingus is your "main act" that is perfectly fine, and some people might consider their main act fellatio, or toy play, or fingering, or not want to pick any one type of sex as the "main" one at all.

[Edited to fix typos]

[ 08-13-2013, 04:18 AM: Message edited by: Kachina ]

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.