Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Ending Rape Culture, We Can Do It

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ending Rape Culture, We Can Do It
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Haleigh H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came across this article a couple weeks ago and would love to hear opinions/thoughts on it. Ten Things to End Rape Culture from the Nation. Here is the gist of it.

1. Name the real problems: Violent masculinity and victim-blaming. The right question is, “What made him think this is acceptable?” Violence functions in society as "a means of asserting and securing power."

2. Re-examine and re-imagine masculinity. How can you be a man/masculine without being violent? Understand that rape is not a normal or natural masculine urge.

3. Get enthusiastic about enthusiastic consent. Rather than looking for a “no,” make sure there’s an active “yes.” What did you do to make sure she was really into it?

4. Speak up for what you really really want. Taking the time to figure out what you actually want from sex for yourself and learning how to speak up about it can be a revolutionary act, and inspire others to follow suit.

5. Get media literate. Ask the right questions about who creates media that profits off the objectification of women. Go to FAAN Mail to learn how to "Talk Back" to media creators.

6. Globalize your awareness of rape culture. Let’s reauthorize Violence Against Women Act before we cast aspersions on the misogyny of other cultures, shall we?

7. Know your history. We must acknowledge and learn from the US’s long history of state sanctioned violence.

8. Take an intersectional approach. Move the most vulnerable from the margin to the center to develop effective solutions.

9. Practice real politics. When you hear someone call a woman a slut. Try telling them that you know they probably meant no harm, but that you’re concerned that they may be doing some anyhow. And then explain why. And be patient.

10. Lobby your community. Rape culture thrives in passive acceptance of female degradation, victim-blaming and hyper-masculinity in our communities, both physical and digital.

Don’t laugh at rape. So while it might seem harmless to you to laugh at a joke that makes light of rape, your laughter could be telling an unknown rapist in your midst that you think rape is hilarious.

Tell your story. Every political issue has a personal narrative that helps form connections to the issue and bolster support for present and future victims.

It is not enough to bring individual perpetrators of rape and sexual violence to justice. Since the problem lies in a culture that is entertained by degrading acts and images of women, the solution is to look at the individual acts as a symptom of rape culture and solve it holistically. We all have a part to play in allowing rape culture to exist—so, we can all do something to eradicate it.

Conceived by Walter Moseley and co-edited by Rae Gomes.

I found this very inspiring. It can be overwhelming to think that rape culture is everywhere but when you break it down you start to see ways that you can make a difference.

What are your thoughts?

--------------------
Haleigh

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a pretty great list, especially given what most "ways to stop rape" lists look like, which is to say: a huge pile of victim-blaming horribleness. I have even seen some of those "tips" come from rape crisis groups, which is really upsetting to me.

What's so frustrating to me is that toxic masculinity really seems to have a stranglehold on a lot of people - the folks who really need to take this sort of thing to heart have no intention of listening.
There is a lot of work being done on talking about how to establish and respect boundaries, enthusiastic consent (which is a model I like and find very helpful, although I have seen valid criticisms of it floating around), moving away from telling people they should prevent being raped and towards telling them not to rape people, and I'm excited about and encouraged by a lot of it, but still there's so much pushback, sometimes, and also outright refusal to see rape as a problem. I wish I didn't feel so cynical about this, but sometimes I really do. =/

Posts: 1329 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ellecubed
Neophyte
Member # 107532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ellecubed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been so hopeless lately about my own experience with rape culture lately and this made me cry my eyes out. Thank you so much for giving me hope and sharing this article.
Posts: 33 | From: Toronto | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The biggest issues that have been changed for the better in the world generally start small with just a few people, and then grow because of common ground. And I like to think also because we are human beings, and healthy human beings don't like to see anyone hurt, especially in the case of the "it doesn't bother me, it's okay, it doesn't worry me because it doesn't affect me" kind of thinking that goes along with socially-tolerated or accepted discrimination or violence.
Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.