Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Does living more ethically make creating an ethical sex life easier?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does living more ethically make creating an ethical sex life easier?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday, I was talking with some friends on Facebook about issues with buying quinoa right now, and something struck me that I wanted to toss out to all of you and see what you thought.

In a word, I'm wondering if you feel like making efforts to live more ethically, on the whole, perhaps make having an ethical sex life easier. Or, alternately, if ethics in most parts of your life -- including things like how you eat, how you dress yourself, other parts of the most basic parts of a daily life -- are NOT something you generally think about as a practice, or make efforts with, if, perhaps, it might be more challenging to work out an ethical sex life because it's really the only part of you life where you're giving a lot of thought to ethics.

My own thought process was that thinking about sexual ethics just always seems like one more place I'm doing that, and where I'm using tools and skills for evaluating being ethical I use in other parts of my life. It also doesn't seem like a drag because it's a practice I engage in in every aspect of my life, not just this one.

But then I sat and recognized that not everyone does things like think about the ethics of what they eat, wear, how they clean their house, how they use language, etc. And I wondered if perhaps not being in those kinds of practices might be some of what makes thinking about ethics with sex -- or practicing them -- more challenging for some.

Whaddya think?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is an interesting question!

I do try to live ethically on a lot of axes, and sexual and relationship issues are a big part of that. I don't know that I see much of a direct connection, say, between sexual ethics and my dietary choices, but I think getting in a "how can I make choices that have a minimal negative impact on others?" mindset has meant I approach more aspects of my life that way than I used to. I think that for me the effect has been that as I really dig into ethical living in one part of my life, it's a lot easier to apply those same principles to other areas, or to be receptive of those ideas if other folks bring them up in conversation with me.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually the opposite of Mo, and come at this from the opposite direction to the way you're suggesting here! I DO think of sexual ethics in connection to dietary, and actually my ethics around sex LED to me thinking more in-depth about my ethics around food. Like my sexual ethics basically are what led me to deciding that, if I want to live entirely according to my ethics, I need to be vegan. Thinking a lot about consent, informed consent, around sex, is what led me to thinking about it in regards to food too!
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really appreciate how eating vegan and shopping in a conscious way goes together with eating healthily and makes me feel really in control of my own life and body.

I think for me the altruistic part of caring about animals, community, workers and the environment as a whole is already there but actively believing in myself enough to say "I am a significant part of this system" or even "my body deserves better" is that extra bit.

So I guess for me, being ethical is about more than just caring, it's about making that jump between thinking a certain way and then behaving in the spirit of those thoughts.

I think in partnered sex I have someone to do that with me, and then being ethical just means trying to make each-other feel good. I never really would have thought of miscommunication as unethical... but I suppose it works in a similar way and feeling more empowered sexually and in the rest of my life does go together.

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cricket
Activist
Member # 96015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cricket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a really interesting question to me because I've thought about it a little bit in the past when I volunteered at a sexual health clinic - all but two of the volunteers there were vegan or vegetarian. It did indeed feel a bit like thinking about health and ethics in one area of life had lead a lot of us to be aware of ethics in other areas, but I hadn't heard anyone else discuss it outside of that extremely specific setting. I definitely think my personal sexual ethics have a degree of connection to my overall ethical values and political positions. The issues of consent and bodily autonomy that come up around sex strike me as relevant in a lot of other situations, like food ethics, or people's rights to healthcare and living spaces free from dangerous pollutants.
Posts: 62 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.