Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » What can I usefully do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What can I usefully do?
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to get more involved in doing something practical to help the cause of equal rights, but I don't really know where to start. I don't have much disposable income so I can only do so much in the way of donating money, and the issue is complicated by my difficulties in interacting socially. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Posts: 475 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleigh H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mizchastain,

A great way to get involved is to volunteer. You mentioned you have difficulties interacting socially, maybe you can check out some different volunteer options online before you commit to them. Maybe also attend an event by a group you are interested in volunteering with and see if you feel comfortable before you commit to volunteering.

There are also a lot of online communities that you can become a part of - like Scarleteen [Smile] . Maybe you would be more comfortable with being a part of the movement online. What do you think?

I find a google search is really helpful. Or maybe check out Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, blogs if your more interested in joining a movement online. What in particular are you interested in helping out with, equal rights is pretty broad [Big Grin] Maybe we can help you find some opportunities.

What do you think?

--------------------
Haleigh

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ellecubed
Neophyte
Member # 107532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ellecubed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Haleigh that a great way to get involved in helping with equal rights is to volunteer. There are so many non-profit organizations that can use help. Use the unique skills you have have (postering, web design, knitting, etc) and see if you can put them to use at an organization that is doing the changes you want to see.

Alternatively, you can start a club or meetup in your area or a Tumblr and get like minded people together to work for a particular cause.

Oh and I know there seems to be so much that needs to be worked on in equality but generally when you start with what you are most passionate about, you will find it all intersects.

Posts: 33 | From: Toronto | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit I don't really like the various Tumblrs, because most of them don't really seem to do anything practical (spreading awareness is important, but blogging spaces like that mostly reach people who already agree with them). I'm not even entirely sure what I want to do, I just feel that I should do something beyond signing petitions. Finding a nonprofit organisation in real life sounds like a good idea, I'll browse around.
Posts: 475 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Haleigh H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck! I hope you find an organization you really click with. Volunteering, especially for a cause you really believe in, can be so rewarding [Big Grin]

--------------------
Haleigh

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Thing is I wonder if I'm the right person to help. My femininity has almost literally no effect on my day-to-day life, so I wonder if that means I'm well-positioned to help out those on whom it does have a serious negative effect or if I should back off and let people who know what it's like help. I think I'm being a bit silly, but irrational worries are sort of a thing for me. I think for that to be a problem I'd have to be trying to do everything equally; presumably there are things I am suited to doing, I just need to find something.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.