Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » UK Pro-Choice meeting: International Day of Action for Decriminalisation of Abortion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UK Pro-Choice meeting: International Day of Action for Decriminalisation of Abortion
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taking abortion out of the criminal law
Voice for Choice ̶ Public Meeting
1st October 2012 6.45pm – 9.00pm
Body & Soul 99 Rosebery Avenue London EC1R 4RE
Free admission, booking available

"You are invited to a public meeting to celebrate the International Day of Action for the Decriminalisation of Abortion, as part of events all over the world. The meeting will explore the situation in the UK: the vulnerability of doctors to prosecution and threats to women’s access to abortion under the 1967 Abortion Act, the situation in Northern Ireland and in other countries."

http://educationforchoice.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/international-day-of-action-for.html

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1443 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome! Would love to hear a field report if you go, Redskies.

Also, if you do go and see Lisa, EFC's director, please say hello for me! She's fantastic. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is great! Thank you so much for letting us become aware of this, Redskies!

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI, if anyone is interested, one of my fave charities to give to, and one I think is vitally important -- and you can give in the tiniest amounts, so even when I'm skint, I can still give something -- is the Abortion Support Network.

http://www.abortionsupport.org.uk/

It provides funding for Irish women to travel to England to obtain abortions.

[ 09-03-2012, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sounds like an empowering and very worthy cause. Thank you, Heather!

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very happy to share info if folk are interested [Smile]

Yes, the Abortion Support Network's work is really important. I don't feel like I know enough about the Republic of Ireland to comment, but in Northern Ireland, abortion is not legal for most reasons. That means that people there who need/want an abortion have to pay for the procedure in England/Wales/Scotland, not to mention their travel and accommodation costs and of course arranging the whole thing and taking that time out - which of course makes it impossible for many lower-income people. That is completely wrong because those people live in the UK and have the NHS in Northern Ireland, and yet still have those huge access problems and financial penalties to get healthcare still within the UK.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1443 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And here is a really sad example of what can happen because abortion is illegal in the Republic of Ireland [Frown]
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20321741

I believe that deaths like this still occur fairly frequently in parts of the developing world where abortion is illegal, but are just not widely publicized in media.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't understand why her heartbeat didn't even matter to them. [Frown]

--------------------
~ Saffy
Scarleteen Volunteer

To my Abuser: I'm seeing stars. I bet you can't do that.

Posts: 1265 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People just starting pro-life campaigning in Leeds :-(

I'm trying to make a flier to put through peoples doors since all the houses in the student area just got 2 batches of anti-choice propaganda in the past couple of weeks... any input I can get would be great.

If I post a draft here later it'd be so great to hear what people think!

Posts: 594 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear gosh that story is so sad. I agree, what about the woman's heartbeat?

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

That story is so horrific in so many ways, I can barely think directly at it.

Extra to what Eryn linked, there seem to be more details in this report http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/1114/1224326575203.html

She was miscarrying for 3 DAYS while the doctors knew from the start it would be fatal for the foetus, and the law didn't allow intervention. This was a wanted baby. I cannot imagine the horror of spending 3 days in agony while my child (I tend to think of wanted and planned foetuses as children, because they probably are to the parents) died inside me. That alone should count as torture, when there is medical intervention available.

From that report, it also sounds like they utterly failed to give her basic medical care that Was legal and available, because I'm reading elsewhere that when a person is in that condition for more than 24 hours, it's usual to give prophylactic antibiotics because of the known high risk of infection. It sounds like she was only given antibiotics once she was already seriously ill from infection.

This poor woman, and her family.

It's also unspeakably appalling that legally and structurally, that is what is Supposed to happen, and that all and any women's lives are worth so little.

(Edit for clarification: technically, the law Does allow for abortion where the life of the mother is threatened, but it seems that this doesn't carry over into practice as there are often massive barriers to accessing that even when necessary and that doctors encounter or believe they will encounter very serious professional difficulties for doing such a termination.)

[ 11-14-2012, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Redskies ]

--------------------

Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I just add more positive note how very very very proud I am feeling I am that people are getting behind a person of colour who was a victim of these horrific pro-life policies.

These issues are so often whitewashed, even by feminists. I've rarely seen a south east asian person be so unapologetically championed in this part of the world. It's a tragedy that it has been about her death but none the less, as well as the strong pro-choice response, the argument against cultural and racial discrimination is inspiring.

Posts: 594 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.