Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » VOTE!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: VOTE!
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For our U.S. based users of voting age, we were finally able to get our voting guide out today. Bit later than we'd hoped, but it's still there for all of you who want or need it: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/etc/the_2012_scarleteen_us_presidental_election_voting_guide_0

We very much hope all of you voting this year will inform yourselves and take the time both to vote and to vote thoughtfully. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's awesome. Even for a non-US-voting person, it's really good to have things summarised like that, particularly with a slant to topics relevant to this site. That must have taken some work. Thank you!

May I ask a question - "Civil Rights", here, I'm guessing that has to be referring to racial equality issues? Obviously I am aware of what the original civil rights movement was; but currently in the UK, usage of the phrase seems to have broadened a lot, close to a simile of "human rights" - for example, I keep seeing marriage equality being described as a "civil rights issue".

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1443 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love this!

Do you know if there is anywhere that does something similar to this for Canadian elections whenever they roll around the next time (here in Ontario there is going to be one by spring most likely for the Premier since Dalton McGuinty prorogued Parliament) and it will be the first election I can vote in. I know that things work a lot differently here since we never vote directly for the Prime Minister, but that link was really, really informative and would have helped me solidify my decision if I lived in the US.

Also, I really want to encourage all of those who can to vote in all the elections that take place in your Country. Your voice matters and politics do concern you. The bills and laws that politicians pass affect your life, so make sure that you vote for someone who's decisions you can live with. And please, don't vote for someone just because it's who your parents are voting for. If you vote for that person, vote for them because you think that they are the best candidate.

Super excited to see the results of the American Election. (Also super disgusted at how much money the candidates spend on their campaigns, without a spending limit the amount spent per year just goes up and up and up).

(And I'm sorry if any of this comes out sounding preachy or obnoxious, I've been having a lot of trouble putting my words together properly online and I think it might be time for me to re-visit whether or not I should be spending so much time online).

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 859 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Redskies! It is always an unreal amount of work, but well worth it, I think. [Smile] (Seeing our front page poll showing some users plan to vote for Romney tells me that, honestly.)

When we say civil rights (often paired with liberties) here stateside, we usually do mean more human rights. While the Civil Rights Movement was about race, and by all means, civil rights absolutely includes issues of race, it's not just that. LGBTQ rights would typically fall under that umbrella, as would things like immigrant rights, the rights of children and minors, all of our constitutional rights (like freedom of speech and assembly) and some more.

More technically or literally, I believe it's simply about rights or privileges which are supposed to be givens for all citizens of a nation.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heather - oh, ok. I wondered because a number of specific rights issues have their own categories, and I wasn't sure if they would then also come into an umbrella category. Also because some people are very pro some kinds of civil rights while being very anti others (freedom of speech to spread untruth and hatred about immigrants and/or LGBTQ folk, for example...)

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1443 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire P.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Redskies, I think the idea of "civil rights" as an umbrella category may seem less potentially confusing (eg when applied to real-world voting interests) if you just look at the term in a really basic, technical way.

Without passing relevant legislation to civilly protect a "human right," no matter how recognized it may be by some as a naturally-inferred, innate right, in a strictly practical sense, for all real-world-applied intents and purposes, it may not exist. That is, "human rights" are ideals easily dismissed, ignored, and/or abused in certain societies, especially if there is no civil structure in place to provide legal protections for these rights. So, "civil rights" include any/all human rights that have a past, current, or future case/role in the struggle to be granted civil protections that appropriately reflect the right.

So yes, there are definitely people who are very pro certain civil rights while being anti others- but that not only doesn't negate these rights as human OR in-the-future/currently civil but also, I kinda think that those kinds of exclusive beliefs are exactly why pursuing civil protection for all human rights is so important. [Smile]

[ 11-03-2012, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: Claire P. ]

Posts: 170 | From: Northeast USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Claire - Aha. That makes a lot of sense to me. Thank you very much!

--------------------

Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thankyou for posting this, but there didn't really seem to be much, if any information about the policies of the parties on welfare? I don't live in the u.s. but if I did I'd want to know whether my disability benefits were supported by the candidates.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

(Bumpity-bump-bump.)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for making that document and the chart on what each candidate and political party supports and opposes. I am Canadian but I do feel connected to the States as my father was born there; but I admitedly am not well-versed in either Canadian or American government and elections, so this chart helped me.

I was quite shocked to see what differentiated Obama and Romney in terms of what they advocated for. Simply put, if I was an American, I would know who I would've voted for thanks to your site. Thank you for the hard work you put into that document!

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.