Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Petition: Demand Congress investigates sexual assaults at Lackland Air Force Base

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Petition: Demand Congress investigates sexual assaults at Lackland Air Force Base
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This petition randomly came up in my news feed on facebook the other day. I shared it with all of my facebook friends, so I figured I should share this with members of the Scarleteen community, too.

Too many men and women in the military are sexually assaulted by their fellow soldiers and far too many cases go unreported out of fear, or uninvestigated by officials. The PETITION: Demand Congress investigates sexual assaults at Lackland Air Force Base was started by the Protect Our Defenders Foundation in order to call the United States Congress to investigate these sexual assault cases. A letter written by military sexual assault survivor, Paula Coughlin-Puopolo, to the Chairman of the House Armed Services Committee is at the top of the page in the link. There are 47 days left and counting, and the petition's gotten about 87% of the signatures that it needs to go to the US Congress. Help bring the number of signatures needed up to 100% for the military sexual assault survivors at Lackland Air Force Base!

Here's a short video created by the Protect Our Defenders Foundation (that's also in the link) about The Epidemic of Military Rape.

Here's the Protect Our Defenders Foundation's message behind this petition (which is at the bottom of the page in the link):
"The mission of our military is to protect the American way of life and our freedoms, yet this very mission is compromised by leadership that allows, perpetrates and condones sexual assault on the very members of our military.

The Department of Defense estimates that over 19,000 such incidents occurred in 2010 alone but that only 13.5% of sexual assaults are ever reported. Why? Because victims are often blamed, fear career ending retaliation, and are required to report their assault by fellow soldiers to a superior, not law enforcement or medical personnel.

Now, a new criminal scandal at Lackland Air Force Base has put one of America’s most disgraceful secrets back in the headlines. At least 31 female trainees at Lackland say they were raped or sexually assaulted by their instructors. Many did not come forward for years out of fear of retaliation from their superiors.

Gen. Rice, commander of the Air Education and Training Command at Lackland says that the misconduct is not limited to just Lackland and has ordered an investigation into “systemic issues” in the Air Force. The DOD reports that 1 in 4 young women who join the service will be raped or sexually assaulted and 1% of men. The VA estimates over half a million vets have experienced military sexual trauma.

The military has proven that it is unable or unwilling to Protect Our Defenders. Congress should open an investigation immediately and then put an end to the “systemic issues” of military rape and sexual assault by legislating fundamental reform.

Our government can and must do more."

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Posts: 301 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update: Apparently the amount of needed signatures has increased from 1,000 to 10,000. So now the number of signatures that have been contributed so far is around 8.8% of what's needed to send off the petition, and there's 46 days left and counting now.

Let's try our darndest to get enough signatures everybody! Spread the word about it if you can!

[ 07-18-2012, 04:04 AM: Message edited by: MusicNerd ]

Posts: 301 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not USian, but I'm familiar with the discussion in various US feminist internet spaces about sexual assault in the US military and the complete structural failure of the US military to act in any useful way about the issue.

Whether a person is there for ideological "serving the country" reasons, or because it was the best way to get a job and/or an education, and no matter what any of us think of military in general, No-one should have to face a workplace environment that enables assaults by work-colleagues and/or superiors and then makes it impossible for assaulted people to get safety, support and necessary medical and/or psychological treatment. As far as I know, some other countries' militaries have a much better record, so the US military is inexcusably failing on this.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

quote:
Originally posted by Redskies:
Whether a person is there for ideological "serving the country" reasons, or because it was the best way to get a job and/or an education, and no matter what any of us think of military in general, No-one should have to face a workplace environment that enables assaults by work-colleagues and/or superiors and then makes it impossible for assaulted people to get safety, support and necessary medical and/or psychological treatment.

^This, all the way.

I agree that the US has unfortunately been failing to address this issue and turning a blind eye to the horrible assaults that have happened to our soldiers.

Update: The number of needed signatures has changed to 3,000 now. There are 1,187 signatures so far and 46 days left.

[ 07-18-2012, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: MusicNerd ]

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.