Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Aspiring sex educator?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Aspiring sex educator?
Hype
Neophyte
Member # 35615

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Hype     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a freshman in college, and I've known for a while that I'm interested in social issues surrounding gender, sex, and sexuality. I've been thinking recently about how strongly I believe in comprehensive sex education and starting to consider sex education as a possible career. What kinds of work experience/extracurricular activities would help prepare me? I'd also really be interested in working or volunteering at rape/domestic abuse counseling centers (I know several near where I live, but it might be difficult for me to manage the time commitment while I'm a full-time student) or maybe a Planned Parenthood clinic, if possible.
Posts: 19 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How exciting! We always need more people in these fields.

So, how you come into the field and how you prepare for it can really vary quite a lot.

There's a pretty big difference, often, between wanting to go into assault/DV counseling and clinical work, and the background for those things tends to be pretty different.

Do you feel pretty torn between them? If so, how about feeling them out via classes at school? For instance, for the rape/DV work you might want to take some psych or sociology classes, and for the clinical work, you might see what's available in terms of pre-med classes focusing on OB/GYN.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PeaceLoveCoffee
Neophyte
Member # 95061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeaceLoveCoffee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking about going into something very similar. [Smile] Yay sexuality!

--------------------
Fall down seven times, stand up eight.

Posts: 2 | From: Arizona, USA | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hype
Neophyte
Member # 35615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hype     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not exactly sure what area I want to go into. The other day I had a woman who used to work with Planned Parenthood come into one of my classes and teach a very in-depth lesson on various types of contraceptives. Although I knew most of what she said already from stuff I've learned elsewhere (and here in particular--thanks!), it was really important and helpful because she also had samples of everything she talked about. When she told us her own professional history, it sounded a lot like what I want to do, so maybe I'm thinking about focusing more on women's health than the counseling aspect.

I'm taking a lot of sociology and gender & women's studies courses already, although I haven't decided on a major yet. I've been thinking about trying to go the pre-med route too recently. It was a pretty sudden realization that it might be a possibility, so I don't have a very clear picture of how to go about doing that yet.

To make matters even more complicated, I also have a strong interest in politics, particularly sexual/reproductive/health politics. I feel like I could probably find something I'm passionate about in any of these fields: rape/DV counseling, clinical work/education, or political activism...

Posts: 19 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just dropping in!

I am pre-med, and am leaning towards going the OB/GYN route(though, there are a lot of options available per being a doctor, so I'm keeping an open mind).

So, If anyone is curious about the pre-med curriculum, I'd be happy to talk about it.

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Public health is also something you might want to look into per education (nursing could be another area to investigate). There really are so many options when it comes to working in this field. Atonement probably has some really good insights into pre-med, and I went the social sciences/politics route (I'm in grad school at the moment) so I'm happy to answer any questions you might have regarding that.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5655 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hype: have you done any internships in any of those areas to get a feel for them?

If not, I'd say that could be helpful, too. Good way to get job experience and possibly school credit, and also a way to feel out which arena with all of this feels like a best fit for you for now.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lilerse
Activist
Member # 46007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lilerse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gah, I meant to add this weeks ago and now it's too late, but there's an internship at the Planned Parenthood this summer called Organizing and Electoral Campaigns Intern...the perfect way to combine sexuality and politics! The due date was Monday though (and I applied..wish me luck!). I'm sure there are other similar positions though. I'm in the same boat as you. Love politics and want to be a sex educator. My thesis is on just this. (which will be my next thread!)
Posts: 219 | From: Indiana | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.