Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » The right to be ourselves.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The right to be ourselves.
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems these days that people who have anything that is not "normal" (whatever that is) or "conventional" (whatever that is) is guiltified (being manipulated by others to feel guilty) and made to feel inadequate. And it almost always has a gender and sexual orientation bias to cis men who are heterosexual (or supposedly so) and against women, whether they are assigned female by birth and/or they consider themselves female. And I totally agree with Heather that the perfect example of this is how having semen squirted all over your most sensitive and vulnerable places is seen as so cool for a woman to allow have done to her, whereas the natural fluid that regulates women's lives and fertility is virtually always portrayed as messy, unclean, inconvenient and worth doing away with. That has to be about the biggest double standard I have ever found out about!

What can we do about allowing all people to be themselves and take care of themselves and others? We need more normality and acceptance of natural human and female human processes, and the right should be given to all of us to be a unique individual and appreciated for being just who we are! The word abnormal should be used way less than it is used now. There is no normal or abnormal for most nature-related things anyway - we have to remember that we are part of the circle of life too.

[ 04-11-2012, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: WesLuck ]

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't mind, Wes, I'd expand on your thought a little, and say, not Just cis heterosexual men, but cis, het, able-bodied white men. The last two adjectives are more relevant to the topics of these boards than at a first glance because of the huge and varied ways they interact with gender and orientation.

From my viewpoint, it seems like the world operates from the viewpoint of the above conceptual man. My first broad generalisation of a suggestion is that society changes to incorporate other perspectives just as much. How we actually achieve that is a whole other question, as currently the power is with the above conceptual man. I say "conceptual man", too, because I think that no person actually meets the ideal of the perfect conceptual man. Maybe also worth saying that I have nothing against cis, het, ablebodied, white men "some of my best friends are c h a w men!" (kinda social justice in-joke there [Smile] ); only against the unequal share of power that society hands them and against the cluelessness that Some of them have as a result.

From your postings generally, I get the idea you like reading? Have you read much feminist stuff, either online or in books? I ask because that's what your thoughts above sound like to me, and if you're really interested in this, you might find it rewarding to find out about the massive amount of thoughts and conversations that people are already having about it.

Just one thing - I feel a bit odd about the idea of a bodily function "regulating" my life. Maybe some women experience it that way, but for me, it's just something that happens, as part of my body, while I live my life. It's kind of integral to me and my existence, but not in a way that really Means anything to me.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I was reading Heather's "I, Being Born Woman and Suppressed" which where the comparison of the treatment of men's and women's fluids came from. Also I have read "Sex Lives of Australian Women", which was a real eye opener, primarily because identities were protected and women could say what they truly thought. I also am interested in reading "Living Dolls: The Return of Sexism" by Natasha Walter.

It is hard to truly understand something you will never experience first-hand. So I was talking from a point of not-having personal-experience there with when I said that phrase "regulates women's lives and fertility". It may not be at all accurate, but then again, I can't speak from personal experience, and the above were the words that came to mind first based on my personal reading of Heather's article.

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.