Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » A little social experiment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A little social experiment
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I'm wondering if I can get some of you to engage in a bit of a social experiment/exercise.

As some of you often talk about experiencing yourselves, I hear a LOT of older adults telling young people to make sexual choices (often choices they, themselves didn't make as young people, or didn't make in the same context), especially around abstinence.

You don't need me to tell you how disrespectful it is for a member of one group, especially a more privileged one, to tell another what choices to make, especially when the person being told isn't asking the person doing the telling.

But it's clear a whole lot of people doing this kind of telling don't get how disrespectful it is.

So, how about this: can any of you take the kind of unsolicited lecturing and dictating you hear from older adults to tens around sexual choices and turn it on its head? In other words, using the same or similar language and approaches, can you create a lecture to older adults coming from you telling THEM what sexual choices THEY must make?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nixieGurl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nixieGurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(although I am no longer a teen, I certainly got a lot of this... so I wanted to try this as part of the experiment anyway, hope thats ok!)

I think mine would go a little something like this: "I think we need to talk... I found a condom in your room...You are not to see that guy anymore because he is bad news. Why? because I think you will be running off and having sex with him and next minute their will be a baby in the picture. You are not ready to be doing this, you are too immature for it, I don't care if you are 40, you are not ready. You can't have him staying over, I don't want to be laying up all night worrying that you are making bad choices. You are not married, you shouldnt be having sex. The best way to be safe is not to use condoms but to never physically touch one another. Also, no I am not okay with you using the pill as contraception, it just encourages you to run around having sex with every joker out there and I won't have it.

Trust me, oneday you will thank me for this, for helping you avoid the same mistakes I have made. From now on you are not to see him unless I am around, and I want you to come OFF those pills. I am also taking away all of the condoms so that it doesnt encourage you. I dont want you listening to these liberals running around telling you about how to enjoy sex, it is not for enjoying it is between a man and his wife...".

I got a lot of that.... taking away the pill and condoms only lead to me becoming pregnant... not a great plan mum, not a great plan.

Posts: 657 | From: NZ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kawani3792
Activist
Member # 48854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kawani3792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
unfortunately-or rather, fortunately, I guess-I don't get a lot of this from my parents. Mostly because I'm not actually sexually active.
However, I do get a lot of teasing regarding sex-usually from my dad, along the lines of "and mom disinfected the knee massage for you, so it's all clean" "OK" "gigglegiggle she doesn't get it" "yes, dad, I get it" I have debated sometimes saying something about the knee massage in *my* room, but always shied away.

Things like this are why I kind of want to take some form of Psych in college.

Posts: 183 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.