Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » WTF CANADA? [error: this marriage does not exist]

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WTF CANADA? [error: this marriage does not exist]
Violet1234
Activist
Member # 63961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Violet1234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just read the link on the Scarleteen twitter to THIS. How can this happen?!! And who the hell made this happen? [Mad]

Does anybody else know what's going on here even a little bit? And does anybody know how permanent this is likely to be?

Posts: 49 | From: California, USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I can tell (not Canadian, not a legal person), there's absolutely no reason to worry here, and that article is misleading to the point of wildly wrong.

It's not a legal judgement. It's an argument that has been used in a particular divorce case.

Here's a reliable-looking link to what was really going on. http://www.freedomtomarry.org/blog/entry/canadian-marriages-of-same-sex-couples-are-not-in-jeopardy

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Violet1234
Activist
Member # 63961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Violet1234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, thank goodness! Well, that was worry and outrage over nothing...

Thanks for clearing that up [Smile] .

Posts: 49 | From: California, USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, it doesn't seem to be quite that simple.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45983012/ns/world_news-americas/#.TxBoeSO1Kks

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clearly, this is not a happy thing. The whole situation also speaks volumes about the general global difficulties in all official areas of non-normatively-sanctioned relationships.

Unless I'm missing something, though - and I may well be, because I have zilch legal knowledge - on my reading of these things, it seems like parts of that news article is making the mistakes referred to in the statement. I'm inclined to believe LGBTQ-specific legal organistions when they say that this argument, in itself, has no effect on the legality of any other marriage.

That doesn't mean that I'm ok with what's being argued, or that I'm not concerned about what it might open the door to in the future. It's just that it doesn't seem to have the immediate legal impact that some people are saying it does.

I also think that it's extremely messed up that these people have to make an argument like that in order to get a divorce that's being made so hard for them.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thumb tack
Peer Ambassador
Member # 60502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thumb tack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully this is final:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/justice-minister-declares-all-same-sex-marriages-legal-and-valid/article2301691/

Posts: 126 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.