Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Want to talk sex and history?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Want to talk sex and history?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made some admittedly dumb internet reading choices this morning and wound up reading someone who claims authority with sexuality, yet again, as so many people often do, claim that the alternative sexual culture in the US of the late sixties was a) common and mainstream b) brought about by 2nd wave feminism, and c) totally new and brought about in the late 60s and early 70s, all absolutely false statements that really aren't that hard to know are false with a cursory knowledge of cultural history and simple math.

I'm a sex and history geek, so I often get deeply annoyed by statements like this, especially when they come from people who have had access to a lot of education and really should know to do their homework.

But I thought I'd offer my geekdom over here if any of you ever want to gab about the history of sexuality. I'll put out a caveat to begin with that while I'm pretty well-versed about it through all of history, globally, I do know a great deal more about the west, specifically, especially when we're talking about the last 200 years.

So, what do you know about sexuality and history, what don't you, but would like to, what confounds your mind, etc?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67145 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jap
Neophyte
Member # 45317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jap     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I find it interesting that to most youths people in the previous centuries were sexually inhibited. That is not to say they were not, but during many of the previous centuries there were many children born out of wedlock. It was actually a bit common for that to occur during certain periods.

It is also interesting that people believe birth control was invented during the 21st century, when in fact birth control has been around since the ancient times,different herbs and such function as birth control. Also, condoms have been around for centuries and have been used as well.

These facts are more about sex than sexuality, but are still quite interesting.

Best regards,
JAP

Posts: 16 | From: Earth | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jap, have you ever seen the super-awesome art series that artist Heather Ault has been doing -- 4000 Years for Choice -- about contraception through history? If not, I think you'd enjoy taking a peek, it's really lovely and cool: http://4000yearsforchoice.com/

And for sure, the idea that before the last 10, 20 even 50 years all people, or even most, were only having sex, say, within marriage, for procreation, etc. is not even remotely accurate. The real difference between that before the last handful of decades wasn't so much behaviour as changes in how that was all framed and how much it was broadcast. Of course, the "price" people had to pay in the past for sex outside the box, as it were, also was quite different in the west even just 40 years ago than it is now. In a word, people do risk a lot less now in many ways socially, when it comes to unwanted pregnancy, and so forth.

Perhaps even more to the point when we're talking about out of wedlock births, people tend to forget that marriage as we know it is actually relatively new, was only very recently about love from the start, and to boot, that a lot of in-wedlock births in the past were not in-wedlock conceptions. In fact, an awful lot of marriages happened in the past expressly for that reason.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67145 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LivingLife1StepAtATime
Neophyte
Member # 80524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LivingLife1StepAtATime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I very much wonder why sexuality, sex in general, and parts of world and United States history are taught incorrectly in schools.

Unlike most schools for sex ed, my school taught safe sex and abstinence both unbiasedly. But Heather, do you think that schools should education the emotional struggles that can come with a sexual relationship? I have had several and if I knew that I would have struggles I had with my sexual life, I would have waited longer. Don't get me wrong, my sex life always has been healthy but I wouldn't have the fights I have had with my partner or parents or friends if I had not had my sexual relationship.

Posts: 24 | From: US; East Coast | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Oh, for sure -- and it's hopefully obvious by the way we do things here -- I think sex education should be about all of sexuality and sexual relationships, which absolutely includes the emotional experience of both.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

LivingLife1StepAtATime
Neophyte
Member # 80524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LivingLife1StepAtATime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its nice to know someone who thinks so too! Education is supposed to well educate us, but sexual education in schools only seems to make us less informed. I think its kinda of sad that I have to use a website to gain sexual information I need (Don't get me wrong I adore this site so much. I've learned so much from here!), when that information NEEDS to be in school. The second part of health class really isn't enough.
Posts: 24 | From: US; East Coast | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

A lot of that really comes down to what school boards want and then can also get passed. Unfortunately, there is a LOT of resistance to sex ed at all, let alone really comprehensive sex ed, from politicians, from some parents, from school administrators.

And of course, even in schools where any sex ed is taught, it's rarely taught by people with any background as sex educators -- and that really matters, especially the more personal the information becomes, as it's easy to muck up doing that kind of education -- so there's that, too. [Frown]

But I agree with you: it would be really ideal if people could get sex ed in school as well as other places. Have you ever written your school board about these feelings? Even if you're not in school anymore, as a student in your school system once, hearing your voice on that could help.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

LivingLife1StepAtATime
Neophyte
Member # 80524

I am still in high school, 11th grade. I haven't thought of saying anything like that to my school board but I do live in a fairly liberal area. I think I might write a letter to my board of Ed... I have the time over break.
Heather
Member # 3

Awesome! If you want any help with that, feel free to ask!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

LivingLife1StepAtATime
Neophyte
Member # 80524

For once, Ap English Language and my crazy teacher's emphasis on how to make an effective argument might be useful XD
Heather
Member # 3

I will always put in votes for the value of AP English (or AP whatever-your-languages-are) myself, but I'm probably biased. You're probably not going to find a writer who won't say that. [Razz] (Plus, my AP English teacher was seriously awesome: she even added extra lunchtime sessions just for me alone to help me work on my craft as much as I wanted.)

[ 12-19-2011, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

LivingLife1StepAtATime
Neophyte
Member # 80524

My Ap teacher is crazy, but what teacher isnt? Haha. I personally can not stand English classes, I don't know why. I wish I could appreciate them more but I just resent them. I myself would much rather be in a history class.
Heather
Member # 3

I think that's a very silly question to be asking another crazy teacher. [Razz]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

LivingLife1StepAtATime
Neophyte
Member # 80524

Its ok, I'm crazy enough to want to pursue a career in Early Childhood Special Ed. =)
LivingLife1StepAtATime
Neophyte
Member # 80524

Hey, Heather. Ive started writing my letter and I was wondering I could possibly sent what I have done already to you in some way? This letter is much harder to write than I thought it would be =s
Heather
Member # 3

Sure thing! You can use the "contact us" link below and email away. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.