Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Abstinence-Only Sex Ed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Abstinence-Only Sex Ed
justinbieberfan
Activist
Member # 54253

Icon 4 posted      Profile for justinbieberfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As part of the health curriculum at my school, we are required to take what seems to be abstinence only sex ed. Sure, I believe you should hold off sex until you are ready... but the people who teach it always find a way to sneak fear of one's own sexuality at my age into it. I also believe that abstinence only sex ed leans towards sexuality being filthy and disgusting. My health teacher says that he is planning to teach abstinence. I personally believe in safe sex, that people are capable of using birth control (e.g. condoms, birth control pills, cervical barriers, safe sex practices, etc.) and am usually liberal about sex in general, so this really is hitting home for me.

[ 09-27-2011, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: justinbieberfan ]

--------------------
~Prince of Equestria~

Posts: 65 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yakri
Activist
Member # 43206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yakri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, one key problem with it is it isn't sex education, it's preaching/propaganda/etc.

I mean, well, I'm not sure where you're going with this.

Abstinence only sex "education" is horse s- manure(can't remember the rules on cursing here . . . ), and everyone knows it.

The fact that some nincompoop at your school wants to teach it is outrageous, and I hope someone a little more informed than me might know of some ways you can combat that misinformation spreading.

I'm glad to hear you're down with safe sex and are educating yourself on the subject since your school won't though. ^_^

Posts: 47 | From: Crescent city, CA. | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I agree

What do your parents think about it, jbf?

Different schools seem to do things differently, and unfortunately seem to sometimes appreciate complaints from parents more than students, which sucks, but if your parents are on board with you, you might be able to make stronger objections, or at least be able to sit out of the class.

Really sorry to hear that your health teacher of all people wants to teach abstinence!

If you're feeling brave you could even put up a bit of an argument to what's said... so long as you're not putting your place in the school at jeopardy, or your work. It kind of depends on what their approach is to discipline.

What do other students think about it, is there any student committee in place to protest it too?

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I think that if you feel up to it, being an active participant in that class including stating your feelings and calling out any misinformation is an awesome, awesome thing to do.

Might that be something you feel able to do and think would be a positive for you and your fellow students?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justinbieberfan
Activist
Member # 54253

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justinbieberfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said, I'm liberal about certain things. [Smile]
I talked to my friends about this issue, and they told me that they were somewhat against abstinence-only-until marriage sex ed. The truth is, I live in Upshur County, WV, which is a mainly conservative (Republican) county. My health teacher, at the least, might not even care about my views towards my school's approach to sex ed. It's probably best for myself if I just sit there and pretend I'm listening (since comprehensive sex ed is the BEST sex ed in my opinion, and this is the best place to get information [Wink] ).

--------------------
~Prince of Equestria~

Posts: 65 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or, you could take constant notes and report back! I'd be delighted to help you craft a guest-blog entry for us like that. [Smile]

But I'd also vote for speaking up even if the person listening doesn't care. After all, that can help your fellow students and if no one young speaks up, you can be very sure this kind of sex ed will continue without alternatives being just as available so young people will keep having to go without comprehensive information.

Lastly, not to be too big a nudger, but IMO, speaking up when we disagree -- respectfully, of course -- is part of really participating in our own education. And doing so potentially influences how everyone thinks just as much as a teacher or curriculum does. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justinbieberfan
Activist
Member # 54253

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justinbieberfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never really thought about posting on your blog... hmm...

I'll definitely think about it.

--------------------
~Prince of Equestria~

sherlocklovesmuffins
Neophyte
Member # 51381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherlocklovesmuffins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having the same problem JBF. By the time I started taking it I have already been on Scarleteen for a while and new the importance of contraception, communication, and the like. My big problem is that they are saying that sex = HIV/AIDS or STD or pregnancy. Completely ignoring the fact that contraception can almost eliminate that factor when used properly. I remember one day they asked the class what the best way to prevent STds, HIV, and pregnancy was and my friend and I said loud enough that hopefully they could hear "Condoms". The sheet they sent home to alert our parents of this said they would teach us about contraception but thus far haven't. My mom told me about Scarleteen, and agrees with your ideas and is anti-ab only believed the sheet instead of me when I tried to convince it was ab-only. So I have parental support.

--------------------
Knock on the sky and listen to the sound.

Posts: 13 | From: The Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

A joint blog post, perhaps? [Smile]

(Also, rock on, Mom!)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

sherlocklovesmuffins
Neophyte
Member # 51381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherlocklovesmuffins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would LOVE to post here. If JustinBeiberFan wants to do a post together I'm cool with that.

--------------------
Knock on the sky and listen to the sound.

Posts: 13 | From: The Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.