Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Addicition

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Addicition
CougarBite
Neophyte
Member # 53267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CougarBite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sorry for bringing this up again as I am sure I have seen this on here before. But I have been trying to research and its hard to find answers backed with research.

With behavioural addiction covering shopping, playing computer games, even clicking of knuckles. I dont fully understand why it can not also cover orgasms? (hope i spelt that right)

Its hard to say sex addiction is possible as for me personally sex cover a range of emotions including those under the blanket of consent. But I can not understand why it would be impossible to be addicted to nearly everything else which causes some sort of pleasure but not an orgasm?

Posts: 22 | From: England | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, those things you are listing are usually classed as compulsions, in psychology, not addictions. Plus, orgasm is an involuntary nervous response: it's not something people can have absolute control over.

So, while in media addiction (which is classically and still most commonly about substances) is presented as something that can be possible with everything anymore, media isn't a good representation of psychology.

So, take a look at compulsion in your research instead of addition. People can certainly be sexually compulsive. And if you're worried you have an issue with compulsive behavior, my best advice is to talk to a psychology professional.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CougarBite
Neophyte
Member # 53267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CougarBite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No I am not worried for myself but when i was 16-17 i was heavily depressed. I could never unwind so i sought medical attention was put on some pretty heavy uppers. But also got told to go to a psychiatrist but ze said that i was:
"Addicted to putting myself in harms way"
That my behaviour meant I was addicted to putting myself in a "hero" role.

I do not take medication anymore as the hyperness leading to loss of sleep was harmful in my view. And I have taken my own route to help which has helped me and a friend who I knew was going down the same road.

Posts: 22 | From: England | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in my opinion, that was lazy use of language there. At the same time, sometimes doctors of every kind will kind of try and shortcut things for laymen or put them into terms they think a patient can best understand.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CougarBite
Neophyte
Member # 53267

After reading some internet material I am finding it very hard to find the difference between "behavioural addiction" and "Compulsion". So I referenced it with some books in the library and the two older books I have seem to refer to compulsion but the newer one seems to refer to compulsion

--------------------
Cougar Clark

CougarBite
Neophyte
Member # 53267

*newer ones "behavioural addiction"

--------------------
Cougar Clark

Heather
Member # 3

Again, this is a big philosophical divide right now, but on the whole, most people in the psychology field still refer to these things as compulsions. I also am not personally comfortable calling them addictions myself.

And that's really all I can add on this. Not everyone will use the same terms for things.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

CougarBite
Neophyte
Member # 53267

True thanks for your time. I think I prefer compulsions myself. And Ill keep my eye on this.

--------------------
Cougar Clark

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.