Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Illegal to talk about Homosexuality??!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Illegal to talk about Homosexuality??!!
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"If 20 Republican lawmakers in Missouri have their way, it will soon be illegal for administrators, teachers and even students to talk about homosexuality in the state’s public schools.

Derided as the “don’t say gay” bill by opponents, H.B. 2051 “prohibits the discussion of sexual orientation in public school instruction, material, or extracurricular activity except in scientific instruction on human reproduction......

....Some social-conservative lawmakers in these states are worried about what they see as a “homosexual agenda” being promoted in public schools. When pressed to give examples, Rep. Steve Cookson, the Missouri bill’s lead supporter, pointed to the “80 school-sponsored gay-straight alliances” across the state.

Cookson apparently doesn’t understand that Gay-Straight Alliance clubs are student-initiated, not school-sponsored. In fact, under the federal Equal Access Act, secondary schools must permit students to form such clubs if the school allows other extracurricular clubs. Cookson’s bill would not only run afoul of the EAA but also would violate freedom of speech protected by the First Amendment.

While Cookson may be confused about the status of student clubs, he and other like-minded legislators are clear about where they stand in the culture war over issues involving sexual orientation. Even as public support grows for greater legal protections for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) people, some state legislators—many motivated by religious convictions—are determined to stop the pro-gay rights tide at the schoolhouse door."

Above quotation derived from:

http://gazettextra.com/news/2012/may/03/missouri-perils-and-politics-dont-say-gay/

AARGH!!!!!

Isn't this completely awful?!!

I'm just really hoping that they don't pass this!

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WTF? That is so completely horribly awful! There is little enough support in many schools for this, but to not even be able to talk about it? Absurd! That is so freaking awful! Wow.

Amung all the obvious reasons that it is absurd and would cause a million issues, I wonder: If that were passed, how would schools handle the discussion of kids with two mothers or two fathers? How could those parents lsit themselfs on school forms?

This bill is absolutely horrendous and I loathe that anyone would ever even consider proposing it. Gosh, I am furious!

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This deserves to be stopped on the public opinion floor by everyone ringing up their politicians and telling them they won't get their vote if they vote this in. Only by everyone who is against it opposing it will it be have a high chance of being defeated.
Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found this today!

Apparently a "Don't Say Gay" bill, same in nature as the one in Missouri, was introduced in Tennessee earlier and got axed before being voted on. Yay! [Smile]

BUT. One comment in particular made by a supporter of the bill ABSOLUTELY INFURIATED me.

Read this!

"Last month, co-sponsoring GOP state Rep. Dwight Scharnhorst enraged opponents when he compared homosexuality to bestiality while speaking in favor of the bill.

"There is no need to talk about Billy wanting to marry a goat," he said" (last 3 sentences of article).

Quotation derived from: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/01/tennessee-dont-say-gay-bill_n_1467396.html

UGH!! I'm too mad even to form coherent speech!!!!! [Mad]

[ 05-10-2012, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: SansNom ]

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Oh! And also! Have a look at this!

A lawmaker in Missouri, Zach Wyatt, has come out publicly as gay in hopes of killing the "Don't Say Gay" bill! Here's a bit from the article:

"He opened up to family and close friends last week, and went public in the hopes of helping kill the legislation once and for all.

“It’s time to step up and lead on this issue,” Wyatt said. “This bill is just simply wrong.”

Yay! Go Wyatt! [Smile]
Also, there are points covered in the article discussing possible repercussions if the bill is passed which I thought are extremely relevant:

"Critics contend the legislation could ostracize children who are exploring their sexual orientation and prevent meaningful intervention to stop bullying. They also fear it could eliminate more than 80 gay-straight alliances in schools across the state.

“The bill is a ridiculous waste of time,” said Sen. Jolie Justus, a Kansas City Democrat who before Wednesday was one of only three openly-gay lawmakers in Missouri. “We should be talking about beefing up our anti-bullying laws and making it safe for kids. But this law actually makes a school a more dangerous and hateful place.”

I definitely agree with that point! The bill IS ridiculous.

Remember the guy Rep. Steve Cookson from the previous article, who is the bill's chief supporter? This is what he has to say in this article:

"Cookson, a Republican, said the bill only seeks to keep any discussion of sexual orientation out of the classroom and doesn’t specifically mention homosexuality. He believes schools should focus on core subjects, such as math and science, and leave everything else to parents.

“When we start going off in other directions that I feel like are social engineering, we’ve lost focus on what our core mission in schools is, and that is to teach skills we need to be successful,” Cookson said.

The bill would not prohibit a student struggling with sexual identity from talking to a school counselor, he said, it would just keep that discussion out of the classroom.

Cookson, a retired public school teacher and superintendent, said he introduced the legislation because he’s trying to represent “my part of the state. I don’t think people in our area want any kind of sexuality taught in our schools.”

Abram Messer of the Missouri Family Network said he believes homosexuality is a choice and not biological. His organization supports Cookson’s bill because it simply tells schools “we want you to teach biology and leave the rest to parents, the community and churches.”

Despite calls from Wyatt and numerous Democratic lawmakers to withdraw his bill, Cookson said he will not. He does, however, concede that it stands little chance of passage this year. It was assigned to the House Education Committee, whose chairman has said it will not get a hearing."

UGH!!!! Hearing that just makes me mad!! I personally believe that sexuality is an integral part of education in schools. There is no guarantee that children will get the correct information if they look elsewhere to less reliable sources such as peers. And talking about the "core mission" in schools as being the teaching of "skills", and not sex ed. I just don't get it. What is he thinking?? Where is all this coming from?? Isn't he forgetting that the comprehensive understanding of all of the aspects that make up people, which INCLUDES SEXUALITY, is essential to living a healthy and successful lifestyle? I vehemently disagree with his point of view and the way that he fails to address key concerns. Instead, he just brushes over them nonchalantly. ARGH!! I'm just rambling on noncoherently b/c I'm SO MAD!!! [Mad]

The only thing that makes me happy in the above quotation is the fact that even Cookson admits that the bill stands little chance of passing. The bill will officially NOT get a hearing!! YAY FOR THAT!!!! [Big Grin]

Above quotations are derived from: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/05/02/3590274/missouri-lawmaker-announces-hes.html

[ 05-10-2012, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: SansNom ]

--------------------

Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In case you need some comic relief on this awfulness, here's an alternative to saying 'gay': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRkIWB3HIEs

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.