Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Organizations: How Can I Make a Difference?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Organizations: How Can I Make a Difference?
Violet1234
Activist
Member # 63961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Violet1234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been reading article after article, hearing story after story, and in all the plight of gender and sexuality in regards to inequality has been illustrated quite plainly. It makes me want to scream that so many women and queer people across the globe can't get the rights they deserve, or the safety they need, or even the knowledge of their own bodies that I have. My question is, what can I do?

If you had to pick one or ten organizations that help oppressed women or queer people (or both) to donate money or time to- provided 15 year olds can volunteer, if time is the only thing that I can give to that particular one- which would you pick?

[ 10-31-2011, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Violet1234 ]

Posts: 49 | From: California, USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Violet [Smile] I think it's awesome that you've been thinking about volunteering and helping out in organizations you feel passionate about! It's a bit difficult to name just one but sometimes it can be good to start close to home. Are you aware of your local organisations such as women's refuges, domestic violence shelters, and queer youth centres? Do you have a queer straight alliance at your school? Giving those places a call and asking how you can help is a great start.

Some of my favourite international organizations include Amnesty international and The Girl Effect (they have some cool videos on their website). I hope you never feel that you are too young to make a difference. I think that people of all ages can be activists in their own way. Whether it's letter writing, poster/banner making, going to marches/rallies or even supporting a classmate or friend in an abusive relationship or with coming out, there's always something we can do.

[ 11-10-2011, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: eryn_smiles ]

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.